Speed camera

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
But isn't part of being a licensed driver in the state of Iowa come with the responsibility of obeying traffic control devices and being aware of your surroundings?

You sound like you're making excuses for people just because they are out of their comfort zone.

LOL you're just being a jerk, but it's been fun discussing the issue with you. Also if the highway Patrol is radaring people on the backside of a hill on the interstate I'll flash my headlights to give the opposite bound people a heads up.

Not everyone drives the same roads every day.

• Dumb
Reactions: DSM4Cy

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Nice feature, but a Volvo. I would have called it my wife’s car.

It's slow as **** but I ride in pure comfort. Not exactly the Volvos of old either.

2023_volvo_s90_sedan_recharge-plug-in-hybrid-t8-ultimate_fq_oem_1_1280.jpg

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
Cool Volvo feature is that my car flashes a warning on my dash and tells me the distance when I'm coming up on permanent speed cameras. Not sure if other newer-ish cars do the same.
Great ending to a Seinfeld episode.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I did find out recently that in Grimes yellow means red. My mistake of thinking yellow meant yellow ended up running me about 275 bucks plus whatever jacked rates I end up getting from insurance when it renews.

I got one of these in Ankeny awhile back. Was surprised by it but apparently that's iowa law. Bored suburban cops must have gotten a memo out.

cedarstrip

Aug 26, 2013
Considering half the people I see driving are also browsing social media on their phone at the same time, it'd probably take 5 minutes for the word to get around that it's not actually a cop.
Don't look now but your making a great argument against cameras. No cameras mean more cops patrolling and catching texters!

cedarstrip

Aug 26, 2013
I generally just go 5 over everywhere, but I'm fully aware that's over the posted speed so if I get pulled over it's on me, so far I've never been pulled over. To me it's the same as if you want to run a red light, or a stop sign, or park without paying the meter. You'll probably get away with it a lot more than you get caught, but if you get caught it's not anyone else's fault.
I hope you drive a new stretch of road someday and get 50 tickets mailed to 2 weeks laters.

cedarstrip

Aug 26, 2013
I'll be more clear, maybe then an answer will happen.

Remove the cameras. Are you okay with a ticket for speeding +9 or +11 over the speed limit by WCPD at the same location?
Absolutely, get your ticket in real time so the problem is CORRECTED! I mean that's the point right?

Reactions: dmclone

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
I hope you drive a new stretch of road someday and get 50 tickets mailed to 2 weeks laters.
When Cedar Rapids turned on their cameras on the I380 S-curve some years back, it was no secret - they made it very well known they’d start sending out tickets, and if you were clocked at 12+ over, you’d get one.

A couple of weeks later one of my co-workers was telling me how angry his daughter was, because she’d suddenly got a batch of speed camera tickets in the mail. Which means not only was she not paying attention to the news, but that she was also going at least 67-70 mph in a 55 mph zone on a normal basis multiple times.

I couldn’t conjure up much sympathy for her. Some people you just can’t reach.

Reactions: DSM4Cy

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
I think if we get to a point where people have no idea if someone is going to stop at a stop sign because they "didn't see anyone", yeah, probably at the very least as dangerous.
Last October, had a guy run a stop sign off a county road onto 163. Approximately 70 feet in front of my wife, who was driving at 65 on 163. It is a rude awakening when you can't even say Oh F**K before contact, or even apply the brakes. She left no skid marks prior to contact. 5 seconds later, Cysmiley was checking extremities and thought processes to see if still functioning. I now consider myself a crash dummy and don't trust people to stop at stop signs. People get pissed when I slow down when someone makes a hard stop when I have the right of way; tough sh*t; tell others not to make hard stops at stop signs.

• Agree
  • Friendly
Reactions: NWICY and VeloClone

cedarstrip

Aug 26, 2013
What should Cedar Rapids have done different? Should they have sent the tickets out immediately to correct the problem this young lady had? (Maybe even hand delivered them...). Or should they have waited a few more weeks to send the tickets and grabbed more money?
When Cedar Rapids turned on their cameras on the I380 S-curve some years back, it was no secret - they made it very well known they’d start sending out tickets, and if you were clocked at 12+ over, you’d get one.

A couple of weeks later one of my co-workers was telling me how angry his daughter was, because she’d suddenly got a batch of speed camera tickets in the mail. Which means not only was she not paying attention to the news, but that she was also going at least 67-70 mph in a 55 mph zone on a normal basis multiple times.

I couldn’t conjure up much sympathy for her. Some people you just can’t reach.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
What should Cedar Rapids have done different? Should they have sent the tickets out immediately to correct the problem this young lady had? (Maybe even hand delivered them...). Or should they have waited a few more weeks to send the tickets and grabbed more money?
You can't fix stupid.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Ts & Ps to you for not being able to drive 10 over and being held accountable for breaking the law.
I suppose we should fine people going too slow as well?

"According to federal and state studies, driving slower than the average speed is more likely to cause an accident than speeding. Driving too slowly can make other drivers around you constantly brake and speed up, which can be frustrating, cause confusion, and lead to an accident."

• Agree
Reactions: NoCreativity

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I suppose we should fine people going too slow as well?

"According to federal and state studies, driving slower than the average speed is more likely to cause an accident than speeding. Driving too slowly can make other drivers around you constantly brake and speed up, which can be frustrating, cause confusion, and lead to an accident."
Yeah, if they aren't going the minimum posted speed limits on the interstate I would be ok fining them also.

Reactions: keepngoal