Speed camera

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I worded it poorly, interstate speed limits are arbitrary by state Iowa 70, Nebby 75, So. Dak 80. Getting a ticket in Iowa is 1 over in So. Dak. Iowa keeps their speed limits artificially low. county roads are 55. Most states are 60 at least.
It is obvious to all who follow the issue that speed cams are a money grab for the local municipalities.
Minnesota is confusing. Some county roads are 60 and some 55, but not many are marked.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Iowa legislation set the interstate speed limits in Iowa, DOT was against it originally. So your statement that they are studied isn’t a fact.
This is straight from the Iowa DOT website.

The Iowa DOT sets regulatory speed limits on state and federal highways based on a thorough engineering and traffic investigation. These factors are considered: · road type and surface (curve, hill, etc.); · location and type of access points (intersections, entrances, etc.); · existing traffic control devices (signs, signals, etc.); · crash history; · traffic volume; · sight distances; · pedestrian activity; and · results of a field review and speed study. The most important part of the traffic investigation is the speed study. When choosing a speed, drivers take many roadway environment factors into consideration. Therefore, the speed that the majority of people consider prudent is an important value. Data is collected using a laser speed gun at selected locations on the roadway under ideal driving conditions. A technical analysis is done on the results to determine the 85th percentile. This is the value indicating the speed which most (85%) drivers are traveling at or below. Experience has shown that a posted speed limit near this value is the maximum safe and reasonable speed. Studies have shown that traveling much faster or slower than this value can increase your chance of being in a crash. Engineering judgment is an important tool. The traffic investigator must use knowledge of nationally accepted engineering and safety principles, combined with experience, to assign the safe speed.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
This is straight from the Iowa DOT website.

The Iowa DOT sets regulatory speed limits on state and federal highways based on a thorough engineering and traffic investigation. These factors are considered: · road type and surface (curve, hill, etc.); · location and type of access points (intersections, entrances, etc.); · existing traffic control devices (signs, signals, etc.); · crash history; · traffic volume; · sight distances; · pedestrian activity; and · results of a field review and speed study. The most important part of the traffic investigation is the speed study. When choosing a speed, drivers take many roadway environment factors into consideration. Therefore, the speed that the majority of people consider prudent is an important value. Data is collected using a laser speed gun at selected locations on the roadway under ideal driving conditions. A technical analysis is done on the results to determine the 85th percentile. This is the value indicating the speed which most (85%) drivers are traveling at or below. Experience has shown that a posted speed limit near this value is the maximum safe and reasonable speed. Studies have shown that traveling much faster or slower than this value can increase your chance of being in a crash. Engineering judgment is an important tool. The traffic investigator must use knowledge of nationally accepted engineering and safety principles, combined with experience, to assign the safe speed.
They may study them but the legislature sets them.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I worded it poorly, interstate speed limits are arbitrary by state Iowa 70, Nebby 75, So. Dak 80. Getting a ticket in Iowa is 1 over in So. Dak. Iowa keeps their speed limits artificially low. county roads are 55. Most states are 60 at least.
It is obvious to all who follow the issue that speed cams are a money grab for the local municipalities.
I guess I'm confused, the vast majority of roads don't have speed cameras.

Reactions: NoCreativity

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Last time I checked, the DOT was not in favor of speed cameras. I believe they wanted them stripped from any road they maintain/build. If accidents happen frequently on a highway, at the same place, it's most likely a design problem. In the case of the cameras on 235, that location never had a problem with accidents before or after the cameras. They did a study in the DMR a few years ago that basically said that they made no difference, but were a huge windfall.
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...nes-cedar-rapids-speeding-tickets/1143173002/

Hopefully this is the year that Brad Zaun gets them banned, but going against the police lobbyists is going to be tough and only getting tougher as more and more revenue comes in. Remember that this just started small with a few cameras.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Reactions: cyfanatic

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I guess I'm confused, the vast majority of roads don't have speed cameras.

My deal is now these small towns are now just setting up speed cameras on the highways going by their town just to collect revenue. Newton and Webster City are both prime examples of these. They very seldom patrolled these roads, but now just set up a camera out there for easy revenue. It really doesn't affect me much the only tkt I received by camera was from some small town south of Waterloo, Hudson maybe and it was a warning. I usually run 9 over on 4 lanes and about 5 over on 2 lanes. It usually gets me by just fine.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
My deal is now these small towns are now just setting up speed cameras on the highways going by their town just to collect revenue. Newton and Webster City are both prime examples of these. They very seldom patrolled these roads, but now just set up a camera out there for easy revenue. It really doesn't affect me much the only tkt I received by camera was from some small town south of Waterloo, Hudson maybe and it was a warning. I usually run 9 over on 4 lanes and about 5 over on 2 lanes. It usually gets me by just fine.

Yeah, it's one argument if a town is setting something up in town on city streets. It's another if every town is going to set up a camera along the highway. The state should have made that illegal

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
This thread ....

getting a ticket for going +9 or +11 over the speed limit by a LEO is understood and acceptable.

Getting a ticket for going +9 or +11 over the speed limit by a camera isn't acceptable.

To those that argue against speed cameras;

are you okay with LEO officers patrolling that area handing out tickets for +9 or +11 over the speed limit? If they patrol it 24/7?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I generally just go 5 over everywhere, but I'm fully aware that's over the posted speed so if I get pulled over it's on me, so far I've never been pulled over. To me it's the same as if you want to run a red light, or a stop sign, or park without paying the meter. You'll probably get away with it a lot more than you get caught, but if you get caught it's not anyone else's fault.

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Yeah, it's one argument if a town is setting something up in town on city streets. It's another if every town is going to set up a camera along the highway. The state should have made that illegal
Is Business 20 that goes through WC a state hwy or a city street?

HititHard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 11, 2009
Webster City has the damn things too. Got me twice once on Hwy 20 right by the exit and once on 17 south of town.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I think we have like 4 different speed camera threads with everyone making the exact same arguments.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
There will be a 5th and you'll like it!

8gtswd.jpg

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
WC has them on US20 on the south side of town. It’s pretty much like I-80 where they are. The other one is on State HWY 17 one mile south of town
I know where they are. I asked if Business 20 is a state hwy or a city street.

The cameras are located within the city limits. Are you okay with WCPD giving you an in person ticket where the cameras are located?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I know where they are. I asked if Business 20 is a state hwy or a city street.

The cameras are located within the city limits. Are you okay with WCPD giving you an in person ticket where the cameras are located?
Seems kinda redundant to have cameras and officers at the same place.