Speed camera

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Absolutely, get your ticket in real time so the problem is CORRECTED! I mean that's the point right?
Are you against speed cameras? It reads as if you are, but it has a different vibe. And you are not in favor of the cameras, your first reason is the timeliness of notice?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I suppose we should fine people going too slow as well?

"According to federal and state studies, driving slower than the average speed is more likely to cause an accident than speeding. Driving too slowly can make other drivers around you constantly brake and speed up, which can be frustrating, cause confusion, and lead to an accident."
That's a law too, let's see number of crashes caused by speeding compared to number caused by going too slow before we jump to conclusions.

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Yeah, if they aren't going the minimum posted speed limits on the interstate I would be ok fining them also.
everyone speeds, most all of the time. So naturally those that follow the sign to the letter of the law can increase the dangers on the road. I would say most people travel 5-7 over the speed limit in most zones.

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
That's a law too, let's see number of crashes caused by speeding compared to number caused by going too slow before we jump to conclusions.
have you seen the live coverage of slow speed chases down I-5 in LA?

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
everyone speeds, most all of the time. So naturally those that follow the sign to the letter of the law can increase the dangers on the road. I would say most people travel 5-7 over the speed limit in most zones.
Isn't the minimum on interstates usually around 45 or 50 though? I think there's a huge difference between having to go around someone going 5-7 slower than traffic and someone backing up traffic for miles going 45.

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Isn't the minimum on interstates usually around 45 or 50 though? I think there's a huge difference between having to go around someone going 5-7 slower than traffic and someone backing up traffic for miles going 45.
I agree going 5-7 under is more a distraction to drivers and safety than 5-7 over. But a person going 10+ over, IMO (no idea on data) is more of an issue than the 5-7 under.

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
I am not against the camera's, but I do think they are typically put in the weirdest places that often scream "money grab"

Some of these small towns, they are putting the cameras outside of town on city limits.
I am surprised "the boys" don't set up shop a couple hundred yards out and dial in the scope.
Take them out redneck style...lol

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
I am not against the camera's, but I do think they are typically put in the weirdest places that often scream "money grab"

Some of these small towns, they are putting the cameras outside of town on city limits.
I am surprised "the boys" don't set up shop a couple hundred yards out and dial in the scope.
The 380 cameras in Cedar Rapids have definitely improved the safety of traffic flowing through the S-curve, there’s no debate. In fact, I find most vehicles end up slowing down too much on the sharp curve on the west side of the river, oftentimes dropping down to around 50 mph (60 mph is a good rate through that section, I find) … but it’s cut the number of would-be Mario Andrettis who like to zip down the Interstate through downtown at 80 mph to almost nothing - and it was definitely a problem pre-cameras.

Small towns, yeah, you’re probably right. I had someone telling me they got a camera ticket leaving Strawberry Point (I think) and the picture they were sent showed the vehicle was almost to the 55 mph sign, still in the 35 mph zone but with no intersections/parking exits/conflicts in the area. Technically, did he break the law by speeding up too soon? Yes. Practically, is putting a speed camera right there truly in the interests of safety, or more for padding city revenues?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I suppose we should fine people going too slow as well?

"According to federal and state studies, driving slower than the average speed is more likely to cause an accident than speeding. Driving too slowly can make other drivers around you constantly brake and speed up, which can be frustrating, cause confusion, and lead to an accident."
This is a valid discussion. However my take on it is some of the slower drivers drive slowly because they have poor or degraded skills. If we force them to drive faster beyond their comfort zone they will still probably be a danger, just for different reasons.

We do somewhat legislate against slow driving. Every interstate highway has a minimum speed limit. Granted, that is a very low bar and a very limited percentage of the roads, but it isn't unprecedented.

Reactions: keepngoal

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

A few yrs back Ft. Dodge's mobile speed car got burnt up, while being parked out in the sticks. To the best of my knowledge no one was ever arrested.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
A few yrs back Ft. Dodge's mobile speed car got burnt up, while being parked out in the sticks. To the best of my knowledge no one was ever arrested.

200w.gif

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
This is the least surprising thing ever.

I lost my way thinking I could get back on 20 without having to back track one time about 30 years ago. I ended up in a "neighborhood" in the river valley. I had a kid trying to swing a big stick at my car as I drove by.

I definitely heard banjos.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

ST8TAILG8R

Jul 10, 2017
So the Prairie City IA PD takes pictures of vehicles on the highway. And they would like vehicle owners to send them money.
Thoughts?
Did you get photo’d on 163? Thanks for the heads up as I frequently travel that route.

I got nailed in DM near the Waveland exit last fall heading to Texas Shorthorns game.
**** Texas.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Webster City put a set out on Hwy 20 and another set down on 17 just north of the park. They are both a cash grab.
Who cares if they are. It costs a lot of money to run a city, and that money comes mostly from taxes. If you can make some money off those who drive excessively fast, and in turn make my property taxes not increase as fast, I'm all for it.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
This is a valid discussion. However my take on it is some of the slower drivers drive slowly because they have poor or degraded skills. If we force them to drive faster beyond their comfort zone they will still probably be a danger, just for different reasons.

We do somewhat legislate against slow driving. Every interstate highway has a minimum speed limit. Granted, that is a very low bar and a very limited percentage of the roads, but it isn't unprecedented.
I guess the combination of being out there with poor or degraded skills and going slow enough to cause an accident would lead me to think that they maybe shouldn't be out there.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
Did you get photo’d on 163? Thanks for the heads up as I frequently travel that route.

I got nailed in DM near the Waveland exit last fall heading to Texas Shorthorns game.
**** Texas.
Yes and was reason for starting this thread. Got a ticket in mail a month after passed through. Glad you'll be prepped.