Speed camera

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
Is there any real consequence for not paying? If not then don’t pay, you know where it is and just don’t speed there anymore
Thanks to great feedback from my Cyclone Brothers and Sisters, I don't see any in my particular situation. I'll use the mailer and future for the paper in the bird cage. Thanks everyone for your answers!

Reactions: Cyclonepride

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Cameras don't catch drunks and distracted drivers, two things I believe to be way more dangerous. This is a straight up money grab. Don't civil infractions go to the municipality while criminal fines go to state?
How do you know that none of those speeders caught weren't distracted and/or drunk. And cameras catching people frees up time for the cops on the road to deal with those larger problems.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
As I said the cameras issuing tickets and generally slowing people down in that problem area frees the sworn officers to deal with other larger issues rather than pulling over speeders, writing tickets and sitting in traffic court.

While this is true, a lot of people are caught for those larger issues when pulling people over for the smaller ones.

Of course, there's a larger debate on how often stops should happen for pretextual reasons like that (particularly with the extremely minor stuff like car registrations)

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
When Cedar Rapids first turned on the speed cameras it was a huge deal in the news, preview stories for days, plenty of information about where they were and how they worked.

The daughter of a guy I worked with drove I-380 through downtown back and forth pretty much every day. She also apparently wasn’t the type to pay attention to things like “news” or “local events” - so the first time she realized there were speed cameras was several days later, when she started getting a daily stream of speed-camera tickets in the mail. She was ticked off.

I had no sympathy for her, because 1) if she’d paid a smidgen of attention to the world outside her bubble she’d have heard about the cameras and 2) you had to be going at least 12 mph over the limit to get a ticket, or at least 67 in a 55.

I doubt she actually paid them all; I think the city gave people a little leeway when the program started - but still, if you’re yee-hawing through the S-curve at 70 mph or more you deserve to get fines in the mail.

cedarstrip

Aug 26, 2013
I loved it today! Drove by Prairie City at my normal 54mph because, **** 'em! People were flying around me giving me the bird, I come around the corner and there is a Prairie City cop with a radar gun!!! Haha, thank you blue!

Any lawyers here? Can PC give you a camera ticket and a real ticket at the same time? What if the owner wasn't driving and someone else got the ticket, could the owner fight the camera ticket?

Still missing me some Goldies, maybe they will open a second location in a different town so I can go again

Still no moving violations in At least 25 years!

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
While this is true, a lot of people are caught for those larger issues when pulling people over for the smaller ones.

Of course, there's a larger debate on how often stops should happen for pretextual reasons like that (particularly with the extremely minor stuff like car registrations)
To your latter point, definitely. There are innumerable reasons that have been established for the purpose of going on fishing expeditions. They can even make up one, like "it looked like you were texting".

• Agree
Reactions: alarson