Speed camera

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I know there are cookies missing from the jar. I didn’t eat them, so am pretty sure my kid snuck cookies. His defense is you didn’t see me nor catch me in the act therefore I’m innocent is quite the theory.

Reactions: madguy30

cedarstrip

Aug 26, 2013
First question: no, also if you receive multiple speed violations by a camera in a certain period of time, they remove those “duplicate” citations.

Second question. No. But if you’re parked and ticketed, another amount of time passes and they can ticket you. If it’s a two hour limit, every two hours you can earn a ticket.

Third question. Not sure in understand but may be similar answer as the first question.
So if Monroe put up speed cameras and I got caught at both prairie city and Monroe within 10 minutes I would only receive 1 ticket? Good to know, ty.

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
So if Monroe put up speed cameras and I got caught at both prairie city and Monroe within 10 minutes I would only receive 1 ticket? Good to know, ty.
No. You get two. They have procedures to remove the “duplicate”. Assuming they are run by the entity. If not, you’ll get two.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
I notice you didn’t address the “face your accuser” part. I don’t really have a strong opinion on traffic cameras although if used correctly and not as a revenue generator I’d be more favorable. I’m just sick of the face your accuser nonsense being brought up all time like it is some sort of magic thing.

Edit: To answer your question, no. That is why the owner gets the ticket and not the driver. It has nothing to do with someone’s inability to cross examine a camera in court.
The Confrontation Clause of the 6th amendment is not magic, but it is bedrock for the rights of the accused.

But it applies to criminal offenses. Most speed and stoplight camera offenses are set up as civil infractions (to which the Confrontation Clause has no application). Also, most are also set up where they don't count as a moving violation.

Reactions: drmwevr08

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
The Confrontation Clause of the 6th amendment is not magic, but it is bedrock for the rights of the accused.

But it applies to criminal offenses. Most speed and stoplight camera offenses are set up as civil infractions (to which the Confrontation Clause has no application). Also, most are also set up where they don't count as a moving violation.
He was responding to Pride, as he was the one that brought that up.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Say somebody steals something from your porch and your doorbell camera clearly shows who did it. If that is the only proof you have do they get away with it because they can't "face their accuser"? Aren't you the accuser and just using video as a piece of evidence? How is that different from somebody watching a traffic video and issuing a ticket? Isn't that person the accuser and the video is just evidence?
In your example, the video could be used against the defendant assuming a proper evidentiary foundation was established (i.e. that the video was secure and not tampered with, the circumstances under which it was taken, etc). A confrontation clause objection would fail. The Confrontation Clause does not prohibit use of evidence like this--you are correct.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
First question: no, also if you receive multiple speed violations by a camera in a certain period of time, they remove those “duplicate” citations.

Second question. No. But if you’re parked and ticketed, another amount of time passes and they can ticket you. If it’s a two hour limit, every two hours you can earn a ticket.

Third question. Not sure in understand but may be similar answer as the first question.

Serious question, if you know the answer please respond. Let's say I drive through Anytown, IA with my cruise set at 40 in 35 mph zone. A cop follows me all the way through town then pulls me over. He says "I had you 5 over at the intersections of 1st St, 2nd St, 3rd St....14th St, 15th St. Here are your 15 citations." Is this legal?

Or if I illegally park can they write me a ticket every 5 minutes until it's moved?

What if I drive up highway 17 then turn on highway 20, can Webster City issue me (car owner) tickets at both speed camera locations?

To your first point - no, they won't give you cumulative tickets for the same offense after following you. However, if they pull you over for speeding at intersection A & give you a ticket, then let you go but pull you over again 5 mins later at intersection D, they most certainly can give you another ticket. Same thing if a different officer (er, camera) happens to catch you 2 blocks over..

cedarstrip

Aug 26, 2013
Don't speed I get it, and I try not to, but...

If you accidentally set your cruise to fast and speed from the east to west mixmaster on 80/35, it would be completely legal for you to receive tickets from Des Moines, Johnston, Grimes, Clive, Urbandale, and West Des Moines. I will die on this hill that this is wrong. For people on the edge 600 bucks could be the difference between making a mortgage payment/rent. God forbid they make the same mistake on the way home.

• Haha
  • Disagree
Reactions: 06_CY and drmwevr08

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Don't speed I get it, and I try not to, but...

If you accidentally set your cruise to fast and speed from the east to west mixmaster on 80/35, it would be completely legal for you to receive tickets from Des Moines, Johnston, Grimes, Clive, Urbandale, and West Des Moines. I will die on this hill that this is wrong. For people on the edge 600 bucks could be the difference between making a mortgage payment/rent. God forbid they make the same mistake on the way home.
How are you accidentally setting your cruise and not knowing it? You know you can change the speed it's set at?

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
To your first point - no, they won't give you cumulative tickets for the same offense after following you. However, if they pull you over for speeding at intersection A & give you a ticket, then let you go but pull you over again 5 mins later at intersection D, they most certainly can give you another ticket. Same thing if a different officer (er, camera) happens to catch you 2 blocks over..
I agree with this, but I think the point he is trying to make is you get pulled over by an officer and immediately get notice and you are more likely to slow down and not get pulled over 5 minutes later, whereas with a camera you don't even know you were caught until weeks later. You don't get the immediate reflex of slowing down for the rest of your trip.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I follow one simple trick to not get speeding and parking tickets. It's worked for the past 15 years. No one ever even bandits me.