Dune Universe Thread

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Warning -- long post. But not apologizing for this one.

Anybody know why they fought harkonen soldiers on the ground by the harvester while being mowed down by machine gun fire when in the end they just blew it up with a concealed laser from a nearby rock formation?

Why not just shoot it with the laser?

REAL WORLD ANSWER:

Any science fiction and/or action epic like this is going to trade some level of realism for visual flair. Is this really the problem you want to point out and not, say, the 400-meter long sandworms?

Villeneuve has been quite explicit the magic of cinema is communicating information about the characters and plot in a visual fashion and showing us things we didn't even know we needed to see.

My wife made me watch the first two episodes of True Detective: Night Country with her earlier this weekend, and it just bored me to tears (though I'm not trying to trash it). It's all just verbose exposition and unnecessary backstory about unnecessary characters shot in a very boring shot/counter-shot single-camera fashion. I know you do things like that with television for efficiency reasons, but it's just not as visually gripping and able to help you lose yourself in the world of the film as something like Dune was able to do for me.

This is going to sound pretentious and is something of an aside, but I've never really enjoyed the recent spat of prestige television no matter how good the reviews. I agree with Aristotle on this one -- there's nothing quite like the unity of action of being able to tell a fully-realized, complete, and tight story in the amount of time one human can take comfortably sitting (2-3 hours). Anything beyond that is just bloat.

WITHIN UNIVERSE ANSWER:

I thought it was the case they were intentionally giving the ornithopter gunship a target so it would lower its shields and thus become a target itself for the manpads. I would imagine such craft and the skilled crews that pilot them would be quite powerful in a counterinsurgency campaign over a vast desert where there's no way that infantry on foot (outside the Fremen) or ground vehicles could go anywhere useful.

Therefore, whittling down the size of the Harkonnen air force is inherently valuable to the Fremen even if they have to take risks to achieve this goal (though if one falls, then two take their place).

The scene also has a strong character development angle: Chani is a badass, Paul is a brave warrior who puts himself at risk just like the Fremen, and the two of them are coming to trust each other.

Why marry the emperors daughter if the other houses won't accept him as emperor?

When Napoleon crowned himself emperor, he went and had a replica of the Crown of Charlemagne made (most historians agree the original was destroyed during the Revolution). That crown had been supposedly worn by the kings of France for around 1,200 years when Napoleon took the throne.

Who cares, though, right? Who cares about dusty memorabilia from an obliterated regime?

Ceremony and tradition are important to our species. The Corrinos are still the imperial family. The Great Houses might resist Paul and the Fremen. He's a weird desert warlord and an utter madman. He's killed off the Sarduakar and Harkonnen and humiliated the Emperor. He's threatening to halt spice production. The Great Houses will surely reject this to start, but the Jihad will beat them into submission and Paul's choice of an Atreides/Corrino marriage will add legitimacy to his reign. Plus, leaving Irulan unmarried carries its own risks. Better to take her "off the board" by marrying her himself instead of leaving an opening for a potential rival.

Why are we nuking spice fields? What good would that even do, the worms would just make more. Or literally anyone could threaten this at any time.

I think it was because it sounded cool.

I don't think the means of destruction matters, though. The film makes the essential point that Paul and the Fremen now control Arrakis and the spice. They can "nuke" the fields in either the literal sense or in the metaphorical sense whenever they want to, which means they now control the economy.

Why didn't they teach the Weirding Way? The Fremen could have done almost all of that without a Messiah.

The Weirding Way isn't in the Villeneuve like it was the Lynch version (and its inclusion in the Lynch version is one of its main weaknesses). I think it was for the best it was cut this time.

The rise of Muad'Dib was influenced by great conquerors from real history (e.g., Alexander the Great, Muhammad and the early conquests of Islam, Genghis Khan, Napoleon, etc.). Take a hardy but fractious people known for squabbling between one another, unite them around a common enemy under your Cult of Personality, and turn them loose and watch them go out and conquer most of the world.

How do you get a pregnant woman in a cocoon on a worm traveling what seems like 200 mph?

Strap a couple of ropes to a couple of Fremen. They're strong. Rebecca Ferguson ain't that heavy.

Why fight the Sardaukar on the ground when you can just run them down with worms?

One, visual flair. Two, the Fremen defeating the Sarduakar is an important plot point.

Three, the Fremen did run some Sarduakar over with the worms (and destroyed much of their heavy equipment). But what did you expect? The Fremen were going to drive the worms back and forth like they were "mowing the lawn" while the Sarduakar stood there dumb and took it? Is that what you would like?

That would have been 100x sillier than, say, Legolas soloing a CGI oliphaunt that one time.

Why is Cheney so pissed off all the time even though he told her what would happen the whole time?

Chani is from a society that has a strong sense of equality between men and women. Try telling your girlfriend from that society you can't be married because of political reasons. She's not going to be happy about it, and I doubt she's ever going to be happy about it. I like film Chani standing up for herself.

Paul could have disappeared into the desert with Chani and lived quietly and happily and been forgotten about. He could have said "Duke of Arrakis is enough" and married Chani and not Irulan. But no, he wanted it all -- the throne, humiliating the Emperor, destroyed the Harkonnen, vengeance for the murder of his father and Duncan, and he eventually won it all. But I also see why Chani is quite pissed about this outcome.

Why did the Fremen leave the planet to fight the other houses when they were all there ready to invade Arrakis?

I thought the film was clear.

Muad'Dib is a prophet to the Fremen. He's sent by God to deliver them. The Great Houses are defying his authority. The Fremen are insulted that their prophet is not being given proper respect.

I think this is another instance where the film improves on the book. The book is somewhat vague on why the Jihad has to start after the Fremen conquer Arrakis. It implies a happy ending before Messiah. The film provides a reason: the Great Houses understandably will not submit to the tyranny of this madman, so Paul and the Fremen are going to beat them into submission with the Jihad. His power will be total when done.

The non believers accept that a person can be trained to resist that poison, but the only 2 people who ever drank it have lived, so why didn't they drink it to prove it was even poisonous?

How can anyone be trained to survive being poisoned?

Dune has all these great schools teaching people to do superhuman things to replace the computers banned by the Bulterian Jihad (e.g., mentats, swordsmasters like Duncan and Gurney, Suk doctors, etc.). The Bene Gessert are just another one of those. They can do all sorts of cool, superhuman things like ancestral memories, Truthsayers, martial arts, extreme control of their metabolism, control of the autonomic nervous system, The Voice, the advanced planning of human genetics, and controlling a baby's sex. What's one more thing?

Why use old Fashioned artillery when you have lasers?

Artillery is good at what it does.

For instance, we have this romantic notion of WWII being about tanks, aircraft, and squad-level infantry battles like Saving Private Ryan. However, roughly 75% of casualties in WWII were caused by artillery (a similar figure to that in WWI). The war in Ukraine now is fundamentally an artillery duel.

The Fremen don't use shields because they don't work well with sand futzing with them and they attract and piss off the worms. Artillery is a throwback technology, but its brutality still works.

Why not use shields in the opening scene while under ranged attack on top of a huge rock?

Why not use those jet packs any other time they might be useful? Like escaping worms or sneaking up on people

Shields attract the worms. Again, there's a reason the Fremen don't like them.

Use shields, attract a worm, and now you're stuck there like the final scene from Tremors.

Antigravity technology in Dune is very power hungry. You can't constantly use it unless you're hooked up to some awkward equipment for a solider in the field (such as the Baron has with him).

This movie just has a lot of problems

12/10 ******* awesome film

Last edited:

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Shockingly good movie. My favorite scene is Paul's first assault on a harvester.

The visuals in this movie are unreal. I want to go back and watch it on iMax. Paul riding the worm and how tactile it felt, the harvester attack, Geidi Prime, etc all looked amazing.

Reactions: Sigmapolis

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
The visuals in this movie are unreal. I want to go back and watch it on iMax. Paul riding the worm and how tactile it felt, the harvester attack, Geidi Prime, etc all looked amazing.
Ya, I'm going to do the same here in Waukee at the IMAX. I wanted it to be longer I enjoyed it so much.

So many good actors in this movie but I think Austin Butler as Feyd Rautha was the best. Timothee was incredible as well.

Last edited:

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Just got back from seeing it in IMAX. It was an experience! I’ve never read the books. The ending was much darker than I expected it to be

Williowa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2016
Warning -- long post. But not apologizing for this one.

REAL WORLD ANSWER:

Any science fiction and/or action epic like this is going to trade some level of realism for visual flair. Is this really the problem you want to point out and not, say, the 400-meter long sandworms?

Villeneuve has been quite explicit the magic of cinema is communicating information about the characters and plot in a visual fashion and showing us things we didn't even know we needed to see.

My wife made me watch the first two episodes of True Detective: Night Country with her earlier this weekend, and it just bored me to tears (though I'm not trying to trash it). It's all just verbose exposition and unnecessary backstory about unnecessary characters shot in a very boring shot/counter-shot single-camera fashion. I know you do things like that with television for efficiency reasons, but it's just not as visually gripping and able to help you lose yourself in the world of the film as something like Dune was able to do for me.

This is going to sound pretentious and is something of an aside, but I've never really enjoyed the recent spat of prestige television no matter how good the reviews. I agree with Aristotle on this one -- there's nothing quite like the unity of action of being able to tell a fully-realized, complete, and tight story in the amount of time one human can take comfortably sitting (2-3 hours). Anything beyond that is just bloat.

WITHIN UNIVERSE ANSWER:

I thought it was the case they were intentionally giving the ornithopter gunship a target so it would lower its shields and thus become a target itself for the manpads. I would imagine such craft and the skilled crews that pilot them would be quite powerful in a counterinsurgency campaign over a vast desert where there's no way that infantry on foot (outside the Fremen) or ground vehicles could go anywhere useful.

Therefore, whittling down the size of the Harkonnen air force is inherently valuable to the Fremen even if they have to take risks to achieve this goal (though if one falls, then two take their place).

The scene also has a strong character development angle: Chani is a badass, Paul is a brave warrior who puts himself at risk just like the Fremen, and the two of them are coming to trust each other.

When Napoleon crowned himself emperor, he went and had a replica of the Crown of Charlemagne made (most historians agree the original was destroyed during the Revolution). That crown had been supposedly worn by the kings of France for around 1,200 years when Napoleon took the throne.

Who cares, though, right? Who cares about dusty memorabilia from an obliterated regime?

Ceremony and tradition are important to our species. The Corrinos are still the imperial family. The Great Houses might resist Paul and the Fremen. He's a weird desert warlord and an utter madman. He's killed off the Sarduakar and Harkonnen and humiliated the Emperor. He's threatening to halt spice production. The Great Houses will surely reject this to start, but the Jihad will beat them into submission and Paul's choice of an Atreides/Corrino marriage will add legitimacy to his reign. Plus, leaving Irulan unmarried carries its own risks. Better to take her "off the board" by marrying her himself instead of leaving an opening for a potential rival.

I think it was because it sounded cool.

I don't think the means of destruction matters, though. The film makes the essential point that Paul and the Fremen now control Arrakis and the spice. They can "nuke" the fields in either the literal sense or in the metaphorical sense whenever they want to, which means they now control the economy.

The Weirding Way isn't in the Villeneuve like it was the Lynch version (and its inclusion in the Lynch version is one of its main weaknesses). I think it was for the best it was cut this time.

The rise of Muad'Dib was influenced by great conquerors from real history (e.g., Alexander the Great, Muhammad and the early conquests of Islam, Genghis Khan, Napoleon, etc.). Take a hardy but fractious people known for squabbling between one another, unite them around a common enemy under your Cult of Personality, and turn them loose and watch them go out and conquer most of the world.

Strap a couple of ropes to a couple of Fremen. They're strong. Rebecca Ferguson ain't that heavy.

One, visual flair. Two, the Fremen defeating the Sarduakar is an important plot point.

Three, the Fremen did run some Sarduakar over with the worms (and destroyed much of their heavy equipment). But what did you expect? The Fremen were going to drive the worms back and forth like they were "mowing the lawn" while the Sarduakar stood there dumb and took it? Is that what you would like?

That would have been 100x sillier than, say, Legolas soloing a CGI oliphaunt that one time.

Chani is from a society that has a strong sense of equality between men and women. Try telling your girlfriend from that society you can't be married because of political reasons. She's not going to be happy about it, and I doubt she's ever going to be happy about it. I like film Chani standing up for herself.

Paul could have disappeared into the desert with Chani and lived quietly and happily and been forgotten about. He could have said "Duke of Arrakis is enough" and married Chani and not Irulan. But no, he wanted it all -- the throne, humiliating the Emperor, destroyed the Harkonnen, vengeance for the murder of his father and Duncan, and he eventually won it all. But I also see why Chani is quite pissed about this outcome.

I thought the film was clear.

Muad'Dib is a prophet to the Fremen. He's sent by God to deliver them. The Great Houses are defying his authority. The Fremen are insulted that their prophet is not being given proper respect.

I think this is another instance where the film improves on the book. The book is somewhat vague on why the Jihad has to start after the Fremen conquer Arrakis. It implies a happy ending before Messiah. The film provides a reason: the Great Houses understandably will not submit to the tyranny of this madman, so Paul and the Fremen are going to beat them into submission with the Jihad. His power will be total when done.

Dune has all these great schools teaching people to do superhuman things to replace the computers banned by the Bulterian Jihad (e.g., mentats, swordsmasters like Duncan and Gurney, Suk doctors, etc.). The Bene Gessert are just another one of those. They can do all sorts of cool, superhuman things like ancestral memories, Truthsayers, martial arts, extreme control of their metabolism, control of the autonomic nervous system, The Voice, the advanced planning of human genetics, and controlling a baby's sex. What's one more thing?

Artillery is good at what it does.

For instance, we have this romantic notion of WWII being about tanks, aircraft, and squad-level infantry battles like Saving Private Ryan. However, roughly 75% of casualties in WWII were caused by artillery (a similar figure to that in WWI). The war in Ukraine now is fundamentally an artillery duel.

The Fremen don't use shields because they don't work well with sand futzing with them and they attract and piss off the worms. Artillery is a throwback technology, but its brutality still works.

Shields attract the worms. Again, there's a reason the Fremen don't like them.

Use shields, attract a worm, and now you're stuck there like the final scene from Tremors.

Antigravity technology in Dune is very power hungry. You can't constantly use it unless you're hooked up to some awkward equipment for a solider in the field (such as the Baron has with him).

12/10 ******* awesome film
But if he controls the spice, the other houses brought their armies to dune, why don't they invade dune? If they go home they don't have control, or any possible control over spice, so the fremen might as well stay home while the universe is totally ****** by not having spice.

I'm just not sure unbelievers in the bene gessarit would trust anything they say. At least the way they made fun of them in the movie, similar to Vader being made fun of in star wars, yeah you might have heard about the force but you don't really believe that crap do you?

I like your thopter argument but couldn't they have engaged it from the rocks rather then out in the open? Take a shot with your laser Canon, draw the thopters in, then engage them. If we can't justify why people are being gunned down in the open, then why is it happening? Despite losing at least half the fremen in the attack they all seemed pretty happy back at camp when it was over....it was a big price for a thopter. **** these people were upset at paul because Jamis challenged him to a dual to the death and he lost. Nevermind that 6 to 10 of fremen will be gunned down tomorrow and you'll all forget about the fallen before youve even slept a night.

But they did run down sardakar with worms....why not be more thorough? **** whether it looks cool, kill them all.

Why not show a worm being stopped while the others jump on or something? Nah these guys are strong enough... Who cares. Stopping the worm would have been a cooler show of dominion of it anyways rather then just holding on for dear life at full speed.

Maybe your leader uniting men argument holds some weight, although this version didn't discuss the different tribes so much... But fair enough.

Williowa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2016
There’s a little thing called suspension of disbelief which is essential to enjoying movies.
Why can't it make sense? They could have filmed anything.... They put people in a place with no cover, then blew up the harvester from cover..... Lots of people died....nobody cared at all.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
But if he controls the spice, the other houses brought their armies to dune, why don't they invade dune?

They threaten to. The Emperor warns Paul he has a "full invasion" coming. But Paul doesn't care. He has the Fremen. They just routed the Sarduakar. Nothing from the Great Houses threatens them.

If they go home they don't have control, or any possible control over spice, so the Fremen might as well stay home while the universe is totally ****** by not having spice.

You're looking at the Fremen like they're detached and cynical 21st Century people looking at politics and economics through their screens. Get in the right mindset -- the Fremen think Paul is a Prophet sent by God to deliver them to glory, freedom, and paradise. Any challenge to the authority of Muad'Dib is heresy that must be stamped out the only way a fierce society like that knows: violence and submission.

They're not making "rational" calculations about galactic politics and economics.

They're fighting for the glory of God.

I'm just not sure unbelievers in the bene gessarit would trust anything they say. At least the way they made fun of them in the movie, similar to Vader being made fun of in star wars, yeah you might have heard about the force but you don't really believe that crap do you?

I'm not sure who "they" is in this statement.

I like your 'thopter argument but couldn't they have engaged it from the rocks rather then out in the open? Take a shot with your laser Canon, draw the 'thopters in, then engage them. If we can't justify why people are being gunned down in the open, then why is it happening? Despite losing at least half the Fremen in the attack they all seemed pretty happy back at camp when it was over....it was a big price for a 'thopter. **** these people were upset at Paul because Jamis challenged him to a dual to the death and he lost. Never mind that 6 to 10 of Fremen will be gunned down tomorrow and you'll all forget about the fallen before you've even slept a night.

At least you acknowledge I have a plausible in-universe reason for why such losses are tolerated as long as it weakens the Harkonnen air force, which is the biggest threat to their insurgency.

The mujahedeen would do things like this against Soviet helicopters and aircraft in Afghanistan -- lure them out with some juicy target before lighting them up with guided missiles. They took heavy losses doing it, but they were willing to take them to destroy expensive and scarce Soviet air assets and trained crews.

This point is a fairly weak one, though. Tell me your favorite science fiction (Star Wars?) or fantasy (The Lord of the Rings?) or action (Die Hard?) film or franchise. I'm sure I'll easily be able to find something that is at least as "problematic" as this. Just enjoy a good action sequence where Chani and Paul bond, prove their mettle, and the Fremen accomplish a strategic goal of downing a precious enemy 'thopter.

But they did run down sardakar with worms....why not be more thorough? **** whether it looks cool, kill them all.

I'm not sure you can pilot a 400-meter sandworm with such precision. The sequence describing the Battle of Arrakeen shows what it needs to show: the Sarduakar are routed by the Fremen riding the worms and Fremen infantry mop up the remainder. Muad'Dib and the Fremen have crushed them.

Paul proceeds to stride in, arrogant as all hell now, and kill the Baron, take the Emperor prisoner while threatening him, and proceed to the standoff and negotiation of a final political settlement.

It's a cool sequence and it accomplishes what it needs to for the story.

Again, what did you want Villeneuve to show? The Fremen "mowing the lawn" back and forth with the sandworms until all the Sarduakar are dead? Do they have headphones on to listen to the Cyclone Fanatic podcast while they're doing it? Think for a moment about what matters in storytelling and visually.

Maybe your leader uniting men argument holds some weight, although this version didn't discuss the different tribes so much... But fair enough.

Wellington himself said Napoleon's presence on a battlefield was worth 40,000 men. The charismatic leader who can unite a people around their religion/cult of personality, their victories in battle, and against a common enemy is a constant refrain throughout world history that Herbert was directly echoing.

Heck, we talk about football and basketball coaches on here in the same terms.

Herbert just thinks that process and those "supermen" are ultimately terrible for humanity. Exploring the dark side of that heroic story is literally the point of and the main moral lesson of the Dune series.

The book implies this a few places. Villeneuve describes the "northern" Fremen tribes as more directly affected by and knowledgeable about Imperial politics, hating the Harkonnen with a burning passion, and less fundamentalist. Chani is essentially their outlook personified in a specific character.

He also describes the "southern" Fremen (ones personified by Stilgar's increasing belief that Paul is their Prophet) as uncontacted by the Imperium outside of Bene Gesserit missionaries, disparate and without central leadership, and the fundamentalists most eager to believe that Paul is a Prophet sent by God.

The movie creates the "northern" and "southern" shorthand that the book lacks, and I think it works well. The northern Fremen came along because of Paul's personal charm, their hatred of the Harkonnen, and because everybody else did. The southern Fremen came along because, again, Paul is a Prophet. The southern Fremen are the ones who become the zealots who are ready to spread a Jihad across the empire.

Again, this is good storytelling and true to history. Such charismatic leaders find what works for each faction and makes them all work together in ways they never dreamed they could before.

Last edited:

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Shockingly good movie. My favorite scene is Paul's first assault on a harvester.

Funny enough the scene that stuck with me the most was the quiet one where Paul is talking to Jessica after waking up from taking the Water of Life. Calmly looking at his hand and speaking...

"So many futures where our enemies prevail... but I do see a way."

Chills.

Paul striding in to kill the Baron and humiliate the Emperor like the most arrogant ************ in the history of the galaxy was up there, too. When I heard they'd cast Timmy as Paul, I wasn't sold initially. I thought he'd be able to do the spoiled princeling Paul well, but I wasn't sure how well he'd do a hardened desert warlord that we come to call Muad'Dib who is about to set fire to an entire galaxy for revenge and power.

I was wrong. Timmy pulled it off. I completely bought his transformation.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Funny enough the scene that stuck with me the most was the quiet one where Paul is talking to Jessica after waking up from taking the Water of Life. Calmly looking at his hand and speaking...

"So many futures where our enemies prevail... but I do see a way."

Chills.

Paul striding in to kill the Baron and humiliate the Emperor like the most arrogant ************ in the history of the galaxy was up there, too. When I heard they'd cast Timmy as Paul, I wasn't sold initially. I thought he'd be able to do the spoiled princeling Paul well, but I wasn't sure how well he'd do a hardened desert warlord that we come to call Muad'Dib who is about to set fire to an entire galaxy for revenge and power.

I was wrong. Timmy pulled it off. I completely bought his transformation.
Tim had so many layers in this movie. When he's training with Chani he has an endearing side to him. When he's talking to Jessica he has a vulnerable element. When he's the Lisan Al Gaib he is mystical and haunting. Staring into Florence Pugh's eyes at the end he's lost to his ambition. Just bad ass directing honestly.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Why can't it make sense? They could have filmed anything.... They put people in a place with no cover, then blew up the harvester from cover..... Lots of people died....nobody cared at all.

You keep saying this. Not everything has to make perfect sense. Sometimes things are done for the sake of story that don't make perfect sense. It happens in literally every tale ever told. The story is about Paul, not some random Fremen redshirts.

Guess what, regular people make nonsensical decisions all of the time in real life too.

Nolaeer

Nov 24, 2012
I cant wait to watch it, butI have not watched a movie in a theater since Jaws. Ill wait for it to stream on HBO max and buy a month's sub. usually HBO max streams it movies same day, but my guess with Dune II is they wait 30 days.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny

I've seen the movie twice now (last night in Waukee IMAX - wow!)

I watch far too many breakdown/recap videos, and I have not read the source material so this perhaps is what is holding me back here...

It is clear by the end of the film that Paul is no hero, and he is not a person the audience should be rooting for. But it seems pretty obvious this his "downfall" (or heel turn, or whatever you want to call it) is incredibly tragic and heartbreaking for the character itself. In the early part of the film, when speaking to his mother in private, I will concede that he does openly admit that he was revenge. This obviously is concerning, and makes you a bit nervous about cheering him on too much. But over the next 1.5 hours of the film, he clearly is transforming into a heroic protagonist character. He's humbly helping the Fremen, fighting hard for them, falling in love with one of them, making strong bonds, friendships, etc. He's openly telling us repeatedly that he cannot go south (and does not want to go south, ever) as it could very well lead to billions of deaths - he sees fragments of this vision, but this vision terrifies him. We're led to believe (and I think correctly, unless I'm just missing important context here from the books) that this dude does not want to become a psycho evil prophet of a jihad that will wipe out billions and take away the love of his life. He resists going south, repeatedly. He ONLY gives in when he sees the fear and terror in the Fremen after the artillery attacks, and the realization that the Harkonnen's won't give up easily, and more and more Fremen are going to die. He even seeks council through the spice-force from dead-Jamis, who councils him that - in order for the Fremen to prevail - he (Paul) must see (i.e. he must go south, drink the worm bile, and become the thing he fears most, without truly knowing what it will actually do to him).

So he drinks the Water of Life, immediately starts acting completely different. Like, 180 different. Instantly. He can now "see" all possible futures, like Dr. Strange in Infinity War, and tells his mother there is 1 potential path to navigate into the future. Even his hairdo miraculously changes (well done by the set department and stylists!). The old "Paul" is truly dead this point, as he quickly turns into an evil psycho evil prophet, who seems to crave power, revenge, etc. The blue bile really f***ed him up. This is tragic right? Not that I feel bad for him or want to root for his jihad, but ...in a weird way, didn't he essentially sacrifice his soul (and his love) here for the chance that he could bring about a potential long-term positive future of the Fremen?

I guess my point is - I want to give more credit to the film - it all feels much more "layered" and nuanced than a lot of the recaps/analysis seem to indicate, which is that - Paul is like any other evil figure from history that won the trust of fundamentalists through fear and manipulation and used that that bring about his evil desires and destruction to the world...

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I've seen the movie twice now (last night in Waukee IMAX - wow!)

I watch far too many breakdown/recap videos, and I have not read the source material so this perhaps is what is holding me back here...

It is clear by the end of the film that Paul is no hero, and he is not a person the audience should be rooting for. But it seems pretty obvious this his "downfall" (or heel turn, or whatever you want to call it) is incredibly tragic and heartbreaking for the character itself. In the early part of the film, when speaking to his mother in private, I will concede that he does openly admit that he was revenge. This obviously is concerning, and makes you a bit nervous about cheering him on too much. But over the next 1.5 hours of the film, he clearly is transforming into a heroic protagonist character. He's humbly helping the Fremen, fighting hard for them, falling in love with one of them, making strong bonds, friendships, etc. He's openly telling us repeatedly that he cannot go south (and does not want to go south, ever) as it could very well lead to billions of deaths - he sees fragments of this vision, but this vision terrifies him. We're led to believe (and I think correctly, unless I'm just missing important context here from the books) that this dude does not want to become a psycho evil prophet of a jihad that will wipe out billions and take away the love of his life. He resists going south, repeatedly. He ONLY gives in when he sees the fear and terror in the Fremen after the artillery attacks, and the realization that the Harkonnen's won't give up easily, and more and more Fremen are going to die. He even seeks council through the spice-force from dead-Jamis, who councils him that - in order for the Fremen to prevail - he (Paul) must see (i.e. he must go south, drink the worm bile, and become the thing he fears most, without truly knowing what it will actually do to him).

So he drinks the Water of Life, immediately starts acting completely different. Like, 180 different. Instantly. He can now "see" all possible futures, like Dr. Strange in Infinity War, and tells his mother there is 1 potential path to navigate into the future. Even his hairdo miraculously changes (well done by the set department and stylists!). The old "Paul" is truly dead this point, as he quickly turns into an evil psycho evil prophet, who seems to crave power, revenge, etc. The blue bile really f***ed him up. This is tragic right? Not that I feel bad for him or want to root for his jihad, but ...in a weird way, didn't he essentially sacrifice his soul (and his love) here for the chance that he could bring about a potential long-term positive future of the Fremen?

I guess my point is - I want to give more credit to the film - it all feels much more "layered" and nuanced than a lot of the recaps/analysis seem to indicate, which is that - Paul is like any other evil figure from history that won the trust of fundamentalists through fear and manipulation and used that that bring about his evil desires and destruction to the world...

Excellent post. My early nominee for post of the year!

You hit the nail on the head regarding how both the book and the film portray the nuances of Paul's life and rise to power. He's not a superhero or a supervillain. It's not all black and white as he goes from princeling happy with his parents and his de facto extended family (Duncan, Gurney, Thufir, etc.) to son of a murdered father who wants revenge and his birthright to refugee in the desert to trying to fit in with an alien culture to a young man falling in love for the first time to guerilla fighter to desert warlord to Prophet sent by God to murdering his own grandfather for revenge, coming within a hair's breath of doing the same to an Emperor, and then murdering his own cousin before declaring himself Emperor and initiating a genocidal jihad in his father's name.

I think you missed the other important aspect of the Water of Life that screwed him up -- learning that the Baron was his maternal grandfather. Knowing that he and Jessica are Harkonnen changes him.

I went to Part 1 when it was back in theaters a few weeks ago, and one of the strongest aspects of its characterization was establishing Leto in the brief time we would have him. Oscar Isaac turns in a brilliant performance, and he needed to make sure the character would cast the shadow over the rest of the story it needs to in order to understand just how Paul and Jessica behave the rest of the way. Part 1 does a great job showing how much Leto loved Paul and Jessica and how little he cared for political scheming.

Imagine learning your maternal grandfather murdered your father, the most noble and virtuous person you will ever meet in your life and the man who loved you more than life itself and was proud of who you are and who you would become beyond any measure. It screws Paul up. He's done waiting. He's done with half measures. Frankly, there's quite a lot of the Baron in Paul, and he shows it in the second half of the second film.

One subtext of the book and film I've mentioned before is the political contest for who is going to be the next Emperor. The Baron clearly has designs on the throne, either for himself or for the Na-Baron through a marriage with Irulan to produce a Harkonnen/Corrino heir. The irony is that the Baron succeeds in having a Harkonnen put on the throne -- it just ends up being Paul, his grandson, rather than one of his nephews.

There are plenty of historical figures who did terrible things yet had tragic lives full of loss. One that comes to mind was born into a household led by a physically and verbally abusive father. The father was so bad his older half-brother ran away from home from 14 never to see his family again. His younger brother, his closest childhood playmate, died of measles at age 6. Then his father died, leaving the family close to destitute, and then his mother, his closest friend in this world, died when he was 18 after a prolonged and painful battle with breast cancer. He then spent four years homeless on the street... before spending four years fighting in the trenches of the world conflict in human history to that point. Terrible really... if you don't know what happens next.

You can probably guess who that was.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
Excellent post. My early nominee for post of the year!

You hit the nail on the head regarding how both the book and the film portray the nuances of Paul's life and rise to power. He's not a superhero or a supervillain. It's not all black and white as he goes from princeling happy with his parents and his de facto extended family (Duncan, Gurney, Thufir, etc.) to son of a murdered father who wants revenge and his birthright to refugee in the desert to trying to fit in with an alien culture to a young man falling in love for the first time to guerilla fighter to desert warlord to Prophet sent by God to murdering his own grandfather for revenge, coming within a hair's breath of doing the same to an Emperor, and then murdering his own cousin before declaring himself Emperor and initiating a genocidal jihad in his father's name.

I think you missed the other important aspect of the Water of Life that screwed him up -- learning that the Baron was his maternal grandfather. Knowing that he and Jessica are Harkonnen changes him.

I went to Part 1 when it was back in theaters a few weeks ago, and one of the strongest aspects of its characterization was establishing Leto in the brief time we would have him. Oscar Isaac turns in a brilliant performance, and he needed to make sure the character would cast the shadow over the rest of the story it needs to in order to understand just how Paul and Jessica behave the rest of the way. Part 1 does a great job showing how much Leto loved Paul and Jessica and how little he cared for political scheming.

Imagine learning your maternal grandfather murdered your father, the most noble and virtuous person you will ever meet in your life and the man who loved you more than life itself and was proud of who you are and who you would become beyond any measure. It screws Paul up. He's done waiting. He's done with half measures. Frankly, there's quite a lot of the Baron in Paul, and he shows it in the second half of the second film.

One subtext of the book and film I've mentioned before is the political contest for who is going to be the next Emperor. The Baron clearly has designs on the throne, either for himself or for the Na-Baron through a marriage with Irulan to produce a Harkonnen/Corrino heir. The irony is that the Baron succeeds in having a Harkonnen put on the throne -- it just ends up being Paul, his grandson, rather than one of his nephews.

There are plenty of historical figures who did terrible things yet had tragic lives full of loss. One that comes to mind was born into a household led by a physically and verbally abusive father. The father was so bad his older half-brother ran away from home from 14 never to see his family again. His younger brother, his closest childhood playmate, died of measles at age 6. Then his father died, leaving the family close to destitute, and then his mother, his closest friend in this world, died when he was 18 after a prolonged and painful battle with breast cancer. He then spent four years homeless on the street... before spending four years fighting in the trenches of the world conflict in human history to that point. Terrible really... if you don't know what happens next.

You can probably guess who that was.
Appreciate the quick response!

Great call-out on the news about his grandfather. As a non-book-reader, I wasn't quite sure how to react to that piece, as it definitely took me off guard. What way you have laid it out makes a lot of sense - that news definitely almost immediately changes Paul and his mindset (although it is not clear how much this "news" changes Jessica), and he even makes a statement about how he needs to start acting like a Harkonnen. Creepy!

The acting all-around in this film is pretty incredible. Timmy was great!

Cytasticlone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA
I've never seen a movie in IMAX but want to see this one and plan to go to Waukee next week. For those of you that have been there before, what row should I choose if I like to be immersed but not right against the screen. Thinking G or H. Thoughts?

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
I've never seen a movie in IMAX but want to see this one and plan to go to Waukee next week. For those of you that have been there before, what row should I choose if I like to be immersed but not right against the screen. Thinking G or H. Thoughts?
We sat in M when we went and it was great. Make sure to get into the stadium seating.

Reactions: Cytasticlone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron