Bracketology 2024

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Last year, 1-seed Houston had to play 9-seed Auburn in Birmingham. In 2017, 2-seed Duke had to play 7-seed South Carolina in Greenville. Top 4-seeds are only protected in the 1st round; there are no protections in the 2nd round. They will try to avoid it, but sometimes it happens.

From their principles and procedures guide, "To recognize the demonstrated quality of such teams, the committee shall not place teams seeded on the first four lines at a potential “home-crowd disadvantage” in the first round."
If it's happening that infrequently, they can do better. Take those couple instances and move those higher seeds literally anywhere else.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
This makes my hair hurt. I know rankings and resumes are totally different. But at this point of the season don't you think that both rankings/resumes would align a little more than some of these teams?

First image is their current Top 25. Second image is their current bracket.

They rank Kansas #16...but they are a 2 seed.

That makes zero sense to me. Maybe they're trying to predict what the committee will do.

View attachment 124944

View attachment 124945
I'd take that though.

Reactions: dahliaclone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Free throws will kill us. Everyone has to remember that the selection field puts teams against each other that are opposites. We will face a mini byu team that will hit their threes while we struggle scoring. I love our team but this isn’t the time to have offensive woes.
Between selecting the qualifying 68 teams, ranking them 1-68, placing them at first weekend sites, making sure the all of the bracketing rules are followed, and so forth, the Committee doesn't have the time or will to set up cute match-ups for the TV folks or try to place teams against each other that are opposites.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
If we do this, we will and should have a 1 seed.
It doesn't happen in a vacuum. If we win out and win the Big 12 Tournament it will still depend on what the teams ahead of ISU do. If they all still perform well it will depend on what each team's total resume looks like, not how they performed in the last 2 weeks.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
This makes my hair hurt. I know rankings and resumes are totally different. But at this point of the season don't you think that both rankings/resumes would align a little more than some of these teams?

First image is their current Top 25. Second image is their current bracket.

They rank Kansas #16...but they are a 2 seed.

That makes zero sense to me. Maybe they're trying to predict what the committee will do.

View attachment 124944

View attachment 124945
16 is bigger than 7, so they get the two and we get the three, I guess

Reactions: dahliaclone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It's different now. First round games are at the closest site that has not been filled.

The only way we don't get Omaha is if this happens.
Kansas seeded higher than us
Alabama seeded higher than Baylor and Baylor seeded higher than us.
Yes, what confuses people I think is the fact that two one seeds could play at the same first weekend site. You get the site if your nearest site isn't full (two spots for top 4 seeds) even if there is another 1 seed slotted there.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
I really don't see a path to the 1 seed anymore, just not enough games left. We are competing with Tennessee, UNC, and Arizona for that spot and I think their noncon will keep us from jumping them. There aren't really a lot of chances for bad losses left out there Q3/4, with the conference tourney happening on a neutral floor.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Well you

S ee, it is like this. They are both
E xceptional teams that can generate a lot of
C ash being a higher seed.

Media influence on the selection process has to be dealt with. We're all supposed to pretend it's legit and they don't put their thumbs on the scale.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
  • A bracketing rule for those who are unaware, any school from the same conference in the top-16 MUST be kept in different regions.
I thought the rule now was the top 3 seeds from a conference if they are in the top 16 but the 4th team (if there is one) is not restricted by this rule.

I don't know, it seems they change the rules every year.

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Wow that bracket projection in @dahliaclone post is really something.

I don't think being a #2 vs. #3 matters all that much. Either way you probably have to play that other team then the #1 seed to advance to the FF.

Mostly it just grinds my gears because how many times does KU need to lose and who do they need to lose to exactly to fall off everyone's 2-seed line? "Rankings" aren't "resumes" but to be a 2-seed you should be top-8 in *something* and they aren't top-8 in *anything*:

AP #14
Coaches #15
NET #18
Kenpom #17
Torvik #11
BPI #18
SOR #9

They are .500 in Quad 1 games, that's tied for 4th-best in their own conference let alone the country.

That four-point home win over UConn three months ago must really have a s***load of value!

Just not sure what anyone is seeing other than the name on the jersey that speaks to a 2-seed here.

Relatedly, "KU is down so the Big 12 is down/overrated this year" and "the Big 12 has a 1-seed, a 2-seed, and two 3-seeds" can't both simultaneously be true.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Ball washers sure trying to get Duke and North Carolina as 2 seeds and I’m sure they’d have a circle jerk if they could have them both 1’s.
You triggered a memory. Was at a big golf outing with a bunch of guys. One of them is washing his ball and comments that the machine says "Professional" ball washer. He jokes "Professional? I wonder what they call the amateur one?" and one of the other guys immediately cracks "Denise".

We now return you to regular programming.

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
Between selecting the qualifying 68 teams, ranking them 1-68, placing them at first weekend sites, making sure the all of the bracketing rules are followed, and so forth, the Committee doesn't have the time or will to set up cute match-ups for the TV folks or try to place teams against each other that are opposites.
I may be misremembering, but I was under the impression that the committee selects the teams from 1-68 and then dumps them into a computer algorithm to determine placement in the regions. What I don't know is if the committee ranks those from 1-68 in which case bias could be involved or if the committee chooses the 68 entrants and the computer also ranks them. Either way I don't know if the committee has as much bias/influence on the bracket as some of us want to believe. I'm open to correction

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I may be misremembering, but I was under the impression that the committee selects the teams from 1-68 and then dumps them into a computer algorithm to determine placement in the regions. What I don't know is if the committee ranks those from 1-68 in which case bias could be involved or if the committee chooses the 68 entrants and the computer also ranks them. Either way I don't know if the committee has as much bias/influence on the bracket as some of us want to believe. I'm open to correction
Compilation and scrubbing of the 1-68 Seed List is all done by a Committee voting process. Once that Seed List is completed, bracketing and location placement is all done automatically by computer software.

Reactions: rosshm16

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Look—- Khaal pointed out on twitter yesterday that during conference play we’ve lost 1 game, won 2, lost 1, won 3, lost 1, won 4, and lost 1 and we are in the process of winning 5. So it stands to reason we’ll lose the first game in the tournament. Which means we will not get a 1 seed. But we will then win 6.

I'll allow it.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Does BYU really refuse to play on Sundays?
What is the Sunday play policy, or "BYU rule"?
NCAA rules state that if a university competing in an NCAA championship has a written policy against competition on a particular day for religious reasons, the championship schedule must be adjusted to accommodate that institution.* Brigham Young University has a written policy against Sunday play, and therefore will have schedules adjusted to play on Saturday or Monday, even if it involves changing televised or otherwise broadcast events.

In April 1998 the NCAA Division I Board of Directors struck controversy when it attempted to eliminate its long-standing policy that allowed for some flexibility with regard to Sunday play. Only BYU and Campbell University of North Carolina objected to the rescinding of the rule, which was left in place. The rule calls for teams to formally register their refusal to play on certain days with the NCAA before the season starts, and the NCAA must respect the no-play policy for Sundays.

*From the NCAA official website at www.ncaa.org

source from byucougars.com

Reactions: Drew0311

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
They can and they will im afraid. I'm not one to say somebodys religion is wrong but I can find it in the Bible that it's perfectly fine to work on Sundays if BYU wants me to lol

Also, Jesus Christ can in fact hit a curveball.