Bracketology 2024

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
The Alabama, Illinois, and San Diego St. losses yesterday make it feel like a 3 seed is our floor if we win at least one of the next two.

The Marquette game tonight will play a factor in the 2 vs 3 seed situation. If Marquette beats UConn it feels like they will have a 2 seed locked up. If they lose, particularity by 10 or more, we likely move ahead of them if we can beat BYU.
Marquette is without one of their best players, they may get killed tonight and lose this weekend too.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyhig

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
It seems we are essentially battling KU and Baylor for Omaha. 2 of 3 will get to Omaha. If we win tonight and KU loses at Houston this weekend, Omaha should be ours.
Agree with this, but I've been confused with why Baylor wouldn't go to Memphis

Other than Houston, who else in the top 12 would go to Memphis before Baylor?

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Yeah, an "advantageous 3" in the midwest would be better than a "low 2" out in the East playing UNC/Duke/UConn in their backyards...

I don't think it's possible for Iowa State to get a 2 in the East. UCONN is locked as a 1 and NC is all but locked as a 2.

Reactions: CascadeClone

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
So what is the probability of Omaha now? I am not concerned about hotels or anything but I am just trying to plan my flight from Europe all the way to Omaha or wherever in a single day. And would prefer a different city so I can go home for a night at least

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
So what is the probability of Omaha now? I am not concerned about hotels or anything but I am just trying to plan my flight from Europe all the way to Omaha or wherever in a single day. And would prefer a different city so I can go home for a night at least
This is a really good summary

I think we're in really good shape for Omaha.
  • I believe we're ahead of Kansas on the S-Curve for sure. And possibly still ahead of Baylor. If we win tonight I'll feel better about being ahead of Baylor
  • Baylor is definitely ahead of Alabama now though. Their closest locale is Memphis, which will have Houston and either Baylor/Alabama (or Auburn, but I don't think they're a threat to pass Baylor at this point). Given Bama's blowout loss at Florida yesterday, I think Baylor is in really good shape to secure Memphis which takes them out of the running for Omaha
At this point, I see us and Kansas in Omaha, with us being the higher seeded team. The one wrench that could be thrown in is if Creighton passes Marquette on the S-Curve AND both Marquette and Kansas finish ahead of us on the S-Curve, then Marquette and Kansas would earn Omaha.

For that to happen, I think we'd need to lose 2 of our next 3 (or all 3) with one being in the B12 tourney, Kansas beats Houston, and Creighton win the Big East tourney. That's unlikely to happen, but you never know...

I should also add, I think right now ISU fans' top priority from a seeding perspective is to stay out of the East region. Which is not as likely as snagging Omaha

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
this turd burglar basically saying were dropping to a 3 if we lose

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
this turd burglar basically saying were dropping to a 3 if we lose

I would agree with him, though. A loss tonight and I think Duke probably should be seeded higher than us.

Iowa State would be 6-5 and 5-2. Duke would be 5-3 and 6-3.

If we win and are 7-4 and 5-2, great argument to move ahead of Marquette (8-7, 4-1), North Carolina (6-4, 6-2) and maybe even Tennessee (7-5, 5-1) and Arizona (7-3, 5-1 and a Q3 loss).

Not much can help Iowa State. If A&M and Va Tech win some, maybe those become Q1 losses instead of Q2. If Texas Tech does well, that win might become a Q1 win.

Unfortunately @KSU appears to be a Q2 game no matter what.

jcf817

Mar 2, 2023
North Carolina
If we lose out, jfc817 had a great season!
1. This team has exceeded any reasonable expectations.
2. This team is currently having one of the best seasons of any Cyclone team in the past 25 years.
3. Expecting a certain tournament outcome is stupid and illogical. e.g. Purdue fans expected a victory in the first round last year.

Thus...the season is already a success. Anything good beyond today is gravy. It could also end early and make everyone sad.

But since you're being emotional about it, I'll do the same.

Go **** yourself.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
Tournament seeding is always fun to discuss, I'm just not that into this year for some reason. I'd like to avoid UConn until as late as possible. Other than that, bring on a 2 or 3 seed and play the game wherever. This team will compete with anyone.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Not a Lunardi guy by any means but seems pretty fair tbh. If it was a road game I would disagree. The margins are slim right now between Marquette, ISU, Baylor, KU, Duke, and Creighton.
oh i agree with him too, based off of what he has put out.