*** Official #7 IOWA STATE vs #1 Houston Game(Day) Thread ***

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I would probably say under Sampson this is our second best team. The 2022 team that lost in the elite 8 was without a doubt the best team we had under Sampson.

That team was a really complete team and we were deep too. We went to the elite 8 and lost by 6 to Villanova.

Injuries really derailed the ceiling of the team. Tramon Mark and Marcus Sasser were missing and that was 30 points a game. Without them the team didn’t have anyone to create and make a shot besides maybe Shead and Kyler Edwards.

That team fully healthy was the best. There may be an argument that this team this year may compete with that 2022 team that was injured. A lot of the guys in the starting lineup to us year have performed better than I expected. We knew Sharp and Francis had potential but there was worry relying on them might shoot us in the foot. But they really have improved so much.

And last year had injury issues too right?

Just bad luck.

Said it earlier but I appreciate that Houston's players just play their game without a lot of riff raff. It's what ISU prides itself on and imo makes for a much more fun game to watch.

I hope they can get healthy and represent.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
And last year had injury issues too right?

Just bad luck.

Said it earlier but I appreciate that Houston's players just play their game without a lot of riff raff. It's what ISU prides itself on and imo makes for a much more fun game to watch.

I hope they can get healthy and represent.
Agree. I respect and hope Houston does well except when facing ISU.

Houston&Hoops

Feb 15, 2024
Yeah last year we had Roberts and Sasser with groin injuries. And Shead was suffering from knee tendinitis. The Sasser one really sucked. Slipped on a wet spot against Cincinnati I’m the AAC tournament.

Shead and Roberts just wear and tear I guess. It happens.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
This was a phenomenal win. But, let's keep in mind we played a team that was down 3 key bench players and they lost Roberts 13 minutes in. Houston was far from full strength. I think we would have won even if Roberts went the whole way, but it would have been closer.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Yeah last year we had Roberts and Sasser with groin injuries. And Shead was suffering from knee tendinitis. The Sasser one really sucked. Slipped on a wet spot against Cincinnati I’m the AAC tournament.

Shead and Roberts just wear and tear I guess. It happens.
With a weeks rest you guys should snap back.

cyclonestunners

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 14, 2011
This was a phenomenal win. But, let's keep in mind we played a team that was down 3 key bench players and they lost Roberts 13 minutes in. Houston was far from full strength. I think we would have won even if Roberts went the whole way, but it would have been closer.
Bad take is bad. We hit shots, protected the ball, and killed it on d. That effort still wins with a full roster.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
I’m so proud of this staff and these young men. What they just did I’m not going to lie…contradictory to my thoughts of let’s rest for the tournament I won’t be dissatisfied after a loss to Baylor. They just kicked the **** out of everyone, take a trophy and get the rest they need. TJ and this group are awesome

Last edited:

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
If you haven’t watched us prior to this year you missed nothing. This is pretty much how we play every year on defense. On offense the way we play varies depending on personal. This year with Cryer and Sharp as good shooters we run the offense through Shead driving and fishing with more off ball screens. While last year we played a lot of iso ball with guys like Tramon Mark, Jarace Walker, Marcus Sasser(pretty painful to watch). Sampson says he likes to give guys freedom to do what they want and are good at. He varies how a play is run based on the talent of the team.

I will say that it seems to work especially for the guards. We’ve had 3 all American guards in the last 4 seasons.

I would probably say under Sampson this is our second best team. The 2022 team that lost in the elite 8 was without a doubt the best team we had under Sampson.

That team was a really complete team and we were deep too. We went to the elite 8 and lost by 6 to Villanova.

Injuries really derailed the ceiling of the team. Tramon Mark and Marcus Sasser were missing and that was 30 points a game. Without them the team didn’t have anyone to create and make a shot besides maybe Shead and Kyler Edwards.

That team fully healthy was the best. There may be an argument that this team this year may compete with that 2022 team that was injured. A lot of the guys in the starting lineup to us year have performed better than I expected. We knew Sharp and Francis had potential but there was worry relying on them might shoot us in the foot. But they really have improved so much.

Good luck until we meet in April;). Hope you guys get healthy for the tourney.
I know you guys have won multiple championships, but man our fan base will be over the moon if we make a final 4. A championship, that would be a dream come true for our fan base.

Reactions: exCYtable

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
No, I'm going to keep in mind that we heald an AP #1 to the lowest point total since 1982. Which is pre shot clock.