*** Official Selection Sunday Thread ***

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
The whole emphasis on strength of noncon schedule over strength of overall schedule is embarrassingly stupid.

ISU's overall strength of schedule is greater than UNC's, but UNC gets the 1 seed over us because the noncon portion of their weaker schedule was tougher than ours? Are you kidding me??

It's hard to believe a committee of persons who work in higher education could come up with such ridiculous logic.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
My final venting question before I move on.
If they claim to look at the whole body of work why is the non con SOS a metric. Shouldn't they just look at the overall strength of schedule?

This exactly. It's completely irrational.

We played Houston three times and they were top 3 every game.

How about next year some of these JV conference teams play KU or Houston 3 times for us and we'll beef up the non conf a little to even it out.

Reactions: TheCampanile

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Give me Illinois all day over playing BYU again. The Cougs can move the ball, and are a much better matchup against us than what I saw in that Ill / Wi game.

H
Yeah the potential rubber match in the Sweet 16 is not giving me warm fuzziness. Illinois has some high end individual scorers, but I'd roll the dice and play them over BYU down

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Are you really worried about beating BYu in the tournament in a nutural site? I mean seriously? If you worried about BYU then just stop, your team is awesome and has the potential to make a final 4, BYU is a speed bump
Unfortunately, it's all about matchups. We should be able to steamroll them, but we've seen twice that isn't so easy. Their strengths and our weaknesses aren't as favorable in our direction as many other teams. That doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't win, but they aren't to be taken for granted.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

CycloneBamaFan

Nov 6, 2018
BYU is not a great matchup for us. Are you watching a lot of BYU games? Have you watched a lot of our games?
I hope Illinois can beat BYU. However, Illinois has been up and down all year. It will be a toss up between those two teams who makes it to the Sweet 16.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Dude they really aren’t. If you think you can’t beat BYU what’s the point? You just don’t realize how good your team and coach are. Again if your worried about BYU and G5 teams then your gonna be worked even with a 1 seed

WE LOST TO BYU ONCE. AND WE ALMOST LOST THE SECOND TIME TO THEM. I'm not sure why that it is so hard for you to understand.

But we've got a long ways to go before we'd even play them.

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
Certainly not the ideal draw on several levels, but we are capable of beating anybody anywhere. The key is going to be keeping our bump in offense going and not letting teams get a bunch of 3's. I don't like teams that have the underdog edge (South Dakota State and Drake) so close to home, but we should be able to put both away pretty handily. We need to stay focused, composed, not get out of control, and not let any team get hot from distance.
If we lose to Drake then the Hampton loss will feel like we lost to the eventual national champions. And YEARS of verbal in state abuse.

Reactions: jsb

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Unfortunately, it's all about matchups. We should be able to steamroll them, but we've seen twice that isn't so easy. Their strengths and our weaknesses aren't as favorable in our direction as many other teams. That doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't win, but they aren't to be taken for granted.
Yep it’s the tournament, Mercer beat Duke, Virginia and Purdue lost to 16 seeds. But if your worried about BYU and G5 teams then your going to be worried no matter what seed you are. ISU if legit great and an beat anyone especially lower tier teams like them

Reactions: HoustonClone

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
The whole emphasis on strength of noncon schedule over strength of overall schedule is embarrassingly stupid.

ISU's overall strength of schedule is greater than UNC's, but UNC gets the 1 seed over us because the noncon portion of their weaker schedule was tougher than ours? Are you kidding me??

It's hard to believe a committee of persons who work in higher education could come up with such ridiculous logic.
You haven't paid attention to higher education lately then.

• Winner
Reactions: ClonesFTW

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
How did you get shafted you have a cake walk till Auburn/Uconn with your defense? I’m super confused on the negativity
It’s the small portion of our fanbase…everything is a screw job and every media outlet wakes up everyday trying to screw the Cyclones over. If we won a National championship there would be a thread about how the pregame shows didn’t talk about us enough. It’s exhausting.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
WE LOST TO BYU ONCE. AND WE ALMOST LOST THE SECOND TIME TO THEM. I'm not sure why that it is so hard for you to understand.

But we've got a long ways to go before we'd even play them.
And this is the tourny in a neutral site, little different and your coach and team are way better then BYu.

Reactions: Craig4IState