Momcilovic to lottery pick

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Doubt it. I think we have him 2 more years. I know that's on the long side but his junior year he'll have the opportunity to average safely over 20/gm. That makes him an AA and puts him in player of the year conversations. That's his best path to the lottery.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
If he does that against the competition we'd be facing, he'll be a lottery pick. Especially since he'd likely be showcasing another level of athleticism in the process. I guarantee he's already on pro scouts' radars. Youth + potential = success.

That being said, he'll be a Cyclone next year.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Not lottery no, but you could see him popping up on draft boards as maybe a first rounder.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
If he does that against the competition we'd be facing, he'll be a lottery pick. Especially since he'd likely be showcasing another level of athleticism in the process. I guarantee he's already on pro scouts' radars. Youth + potential = success.

That being said, he'll be a Cyclone next year.
The youth + potential thing is true, but for skill-based players less so. I don't know who the comps would be. It's one thing when people say "he has a little Dirk or Doncic in his game." Having a little bit of Nowitzki is great, but having that as a legit 7'er is a totally different level. And Doncic is tough, because he was such a prodigy in Europe, and was one of the best P&R guys the day he stepped on an NBA floor at 19. And he had played something like 200 pro games by that time. I don't know how that compares to playing college ball in the US. You don't have the luxury to be a skill guy and project production. If you are a scorer and not super athletic, you have to score at a high level.

One thing I would really like to see next year both for the purposes of ISU and Milan's draft stock is to develop him to be a facilitator and run some pick and roll/pop with him. If he got really good at that, he could be a lottery pick for sure. If the path is to use him similar to this year but higher volume and mostly as a scorer, I think a lottery pick is still in the cards as kind of a Keegan Murray type.

The benefit is with NIL and the NBA getting less obsessed with age, he can definitely come back next year. I think next year will be the sweet spot for him in terms of draft positioning, provided he makes a nice jump.

Reactions: rosshm16

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
If a team says they're going to take him late 1st round this year, he should go pro. Otherwise I think he's here for 1 more year.

Reactions: Farnsworth

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
The youth + potential thing is true, but for skill-based players less so. I don't know who the comps would be. It's one thing when people say "he has a little Dirk or Doncic in his game." Having a little bit of Nowitzki is great, but having that as a legit 7'er is a totally different level. And Doncic is tough, because he was such a prodigy in Europe, and was one of the best P&R guys the day he stepped on an NBA floor at 19. And he had played something like 200 pro games by that time. I don't know how that compares to playing college ball in the US. You don't have the luxury to be a skill guy and project production. If you are a scorer and not super athletic, you have to score at a high level.

One thing I would really like to see next year both for the purposes of ISU and Milan's draft stock is to develop him to be a facilitator and run some pick and roll/pop with him. If he got really good at that, he could be a lottery pick for sure. If the path is to use him similar to this year but higher volume and mostly as a scorer, I think a lottery pick is still in the cards as kind of a Keegan Murray type.

The benefit is with NIL and the NBA getting less obsessed with age, he can definitely come back next year. I think next year will be the sweet spot for him in terms of draft positioning, provided he makes a nice jump.
I don't know how anyone who has watched Luka and Milan play comes away thinking their games are similar in any way other than they can both shoot. Love Milan, but he doesn’t have anything close to the skill set of Luka.

Candide

Jan 4, 2020
Livin the Moon Times
Easy path to NBA Lottery Pick:

Hang out with crazy old scientist.

Stumble into time machine that crazy old scientist stole Plutonium from Libyans to fuel.

Time travel.

Change name to Tyrese Haliburton and assume his life.

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY and BACyclone

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I don't know how anyone who has watched Luka and Milan play comes away thinking their games are similar in any way other than they can both shoot. Love Milan, but he doesn’t have anything close to the skill set of Luka.
That's right, even at the same age they are very different. Not just in skill, but playing style is very different. But I think people go to the below average athlete with shot-making ability and go there. Being white with a foreign sounding name helps that too.

I think it's just that it's tough to find a comp that was a really high pick. You have to pretty much eliminate all the elite athletes and 7' guys. So you're down to a very small number of guys, and it's at least physically possible to project advancing skills to where a comp exists.