Momcilovic to lottery pick

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I’ve always thought he’d be mid first round after soph. Thought same thing about Tyrese after seeing his wingspan and passing ability first game.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Let's say Milan averages 20 points the next 4 games, leads ISU to a cakewalk natty, all while shooting 42% from 3 and showcasing his floater. Is that enough for him to be a 1 and done? If not, what would it take?

Milan has been very inconsistent this season and is nowhere ready to compete in NBA. Can he get there? Absolutely, but it would be an enormous risk for a team to draft him now.

He has a greater chance of being poached by a college blue blood, but I'm not gonna worry about stuff I have no control over.

• Agree
Reactions: ironsam and Acylum

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Rebounding is the answer. He's close but not there, if he was an elite athlete it would be a different conversation.

Reactions: Cyclone06

NY Chicago Fan

Mar 17, 2023
I think he highly benefits from another year in college. But if ISU wins the title, then who cares if he leaves this year, it would be all worth it 1000x

He is obviously not a high flying athlete like a lot of wings in NBA these days, and does not seem to have ballhandling skills like a tall guard so like Niang he may end up be bit of tweener in NBA. Although I have been impressed by the way he moves his feet on defense. Still his best path is probably to keep getting stronger to play stretch 4 vs. a 3 in the new position-less NBA

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
I think his ceiling is higher especially rebounding.
yeah, I agree. If I were to amend my first statement I should have said "Niang with a higher ceiling".

I think Milan's higher ceiling than Niang is more attributable to his ability to make tough shots from all spots on the floor (not really just 3's like Niang).

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Milan will play in the NBA and has a better chance than not to have a long career there. Nobody can tell if it will be as a star or role player, but his skills translate very, very well.

With that said, he's not NBA ready - nor yet at the "unproven, high pick prospect simply because of unlimited ceiling" level. That's usually reserved more for the super athletic freaks that can slash and dash.

I do think he will eventually be a first rounder and it will be based on his ability to create separation, shoot from pretty much anywhere on the floor, and have a growing defensive skill set. The beauty of his shot and how quickly he can get it off are huge assets.

However, he is a perfect example of somebody that would benefit greatly from playing 3 years of high level college ball. If he can continue to build consistency and demonstrate the beautiful step-back jumper, while also being a 3pt sharp-shooter and budding defensive player, he'll go high in the draft after his Junior season.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
For what it's worth I saw him projected as a 2nd rounder in next year's draft.

I will say though it may be worth going through the process, because this year's draft is absolute ***.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
For what it's worth I saw him projected as a 2nd rounder in next year's draft.

I will say though it may be worth going through the process, because this year's draft is absolute ***.

Exactly. Thus me hearing that somehow Sandfort is in inconsideration. Insane.

Reactions: Acylum

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
Playing well consistently for a whole season.
Milan reminds me of Johnny Furphy at KU. Announcers were talking about him being a potential 1st round pick. Furphy is more athletic but doesn’t have the Dirk step back game like Milan. If I’m an NBA GM there’s no way I’m investing a first round pick in either one of these guys this year. They both need to show that they can do it every night.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: HFCS

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Milan reminds me of Johnny Furphy at KU. Announcers were talking about him being a potential 1st round pick. Furphy is more athletic but doesn’t have the Dirk step back game like Milan CCG. If I’m an NBA GM there’s no way I’m investing a first round pick in either one of these guys this year. They both need to show that they can do it every night.
But you don't always draft on what someone can do now, you are projecting most of the time. This year's draft is weak as well so if you are a org that has a good developmental program you take a chance on a guy like Furphy in the later first round in hopes you can develop into a really good player instead of taking a 23 year old that you basically know what he already is.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Milan will play in the NBA and has a better chance than not to have a long career there. Nobody can tell if it will be as a star or role player, but his skills translate very, very well.

With that said, he's not NBA ready - nor yet at the "unproven, high pick prospect simply because of unlimited ceiling" level. That's usually reserved more for the super athletic freaks that can slash and dash.

I do think he will eventually be a first rounder and it will be based on his ability to create separation, shoot from pretty much anywhere on the floor, and have a growing defensive skill set. The beauty of his shot and how quickly he can get it off are huge assets.

However, he is a perfect example of somebody that would benefit greatly from playing 3 years of high level college ball. If he can continue to build consistency and demonstrate the beautiful step-back jumper, while also being a 3pt sharp-shooter and budding defensive player, he'll go high in the draft after his Junior season.

I think a lot of "college only" fans actually exaggerate how the NBA drafts on potential. You could see this when some of our fans still thought Omaha would go to the NBA in December if we didn't play him more.

The league drafts on potential if you are just an absolute rare freak athlete, maybe 5 guys a year drafted on pure potential, it's not actually common. Somebody like Milan has the frame but not the athleticism so he has to prove it whether that's in college, developmental leagues (d leagues will go back to being older players now) or Europe. If he had never had that 10-15 game stretch where he struggled to find his offense it might be more of a discussion, they'll want to see a full season without that minimum.

A lot of Iowa fans are talking about Sandfort and the NBA. He very likely will get a shot just like Naz and Thomas did or maybe even get drafted late, but he's not going to be a first round pick because he doesn't have that clear "upside" frame or athleticism that Tyrese, Royce, THT, Murray Bros, and Milan have. Even our fringe NBA guys like Burton had way more upside. Nader actually might have stuck long term if not for injuries. Monte and Niang weren't the prototype NBA bodies but just do some things so well that hardly anybody on the planet can replicate so they get a long backup career.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I think a lot of "college only" fans actually exaggerate how the NBA drafts on potential. You could see this when some of our fans still thought Omaha would go to the NBA in December if we didn't play him more.

The league drafts on potential if you are just an absolute rare freak athlete, maybe 5 guys a year drafted on pure potential, it's not actually common. Somebody like Milan has the frame but not the athleticism so he has to prove it whether that's in college, developmental leagues (d leagues will go back to being older players now) or Europe. If he had never had that 10-15 game stretch where he struggled to find his offense it might be more of a discussion, they'll want to see a full season without that minimum.

A lot of Iowa fans are talking about Sandfort and the NBA. He very likely will get a shot just like Naz and Thomas did or maybe even get drafted late, but he's not going to be a first round pick because he doesn't have that clear "upside" frame or athleticism that Tyrese, Royce, THT, Murray Bros, and Milan have. Even our fringe NBA guys like Burton had way more upside. Nader actually might have stuck long term if not for injuries. Monte and Niang weren't the prototype NBA bodies but just do some things so well that hardly anybody on the planet can replicate so they get a long backup career.
Completely agree.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

It is not just Iowa fans talking Sandfort to the NBA it is Givonay from ESPN who now has him as an early second rounder.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
It is not just Iowa fans talking Sandfort to the NBA it is Givonay from ESPN who now has him as an early second rounder.

I'd be shocked if he's early second round this year but not shocked if he eventually is mid or late 2nd round because he has decent size, the point is there are only about 10-15ish American college players a year that can leave early for a nice safe guaranteed contract. Leaving college in the NIL era to be a mid to late 2nd round pick is kind of nuts, you could get the same chance to stick after college anyway the way Naz and Matt did, or actually get drafted 2nd round and stick as an older but not freak athlete player like Monte/Niang.

Milan is not ready which is why he's on 2025 boards and not 2024, but his upside already outweighs anything Sandfort has shown. He's also obviously part of a well oiled defensive juggernaut improving rapidly on defense and rebounding, not a high volume shooter on a team that plays almost no defense happy for games to be in the 80s/90s. Scouts look at stuff like that more than we can even imagine.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
He'd be stupid not to declare and go through the process this year. Maybe he comes back but the evaluation stuff is huge.
Do you even have to actually declare anymore? I have no idea.

Help Support Us

Become a patron