Illinois matchup

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I think they go WR. The Washington guy.

Seems like overkill, I know. But Ryan Poles did come from KC, after all.
Don’t think he will be there at 9, probably OL.

Really excited for this game, tomorrow night, major contrast in styles, not sure why it’s so late, feel like the Zona game should be flipped.

Reactions: GlenviewIllini

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Fair. However I think people are reading too much into turnovers. For example, Illinois had 17!!! TO @ Rutgers and still won by 18 and put up 76. Rutgers obviously isn’t near ISU’s level, but against Tennessee they only had 9 and put up 79. I think this game comes down to Iowa State’s offense more than their defense to be quite honest. If you can score consistently I think y’all win this game. (Probably will need to hit at least 75)
y'all haven't watched us play much then, our success / failure is always tied almost 100% to causing turnovers and then scoring off of them. I don't think it's possible to read too much into turnovers against ISU.

I ran the numbers a couple weeks ago and almost half of BigXII teams had their conference high TOs against us, and half of our non-conference had the season high against us. The defense is #1 because we do two things at a very elite level - force turnovers and prevent shots at the rim.

One other thing on turnovers - it's not the # of turnovers that wins the game for ISU, it's that the forced turnover number is indicative of the impact the defense is having on all aspects of the game - the energy and effort that ISU is playing with.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
y'all haven't watched us play much then, our success / failure is always tied almost 100% to causing turnovers and then scoring off of them. I don't think it's possible to read too much into turnovers against ISU.

I ran the numbers a couple weeks ago and almost half of BigXII teams had their conference high TOs against us, and half of our non-conference had the season high against us. The defense is #1 because we do two things at a very elite level - force turnovers and prevent shots at the rim.
Btw no one in the big ten plays the press or as in your face for most of the floor the way ISU does. It’s a bit jarring watching an ISU defensive game and then a big ten game (unless it’s in the final mins)

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I have dread in my heart for this game. Maybe its just because I'm a Cyclone fan and we're always waiting for the other shoe to drop, but some of the things Blum has said, as well as Medcalf have calmed my soul a bit.

I still think we're going to need to shoot lights out to win.
Idk, if we shoot lights out we will bury anyone. Just need to have a good game.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Btw no one in the big ten plays the press or as in your face for most of the floor the way ISU does. It’s a bit jarring watching an ISU defensive game and then a big ten game (unless it’s in the final mins)

If you want a real jarring transition- Watching the NBA all star game Feb 16, followed by ISU-Houston on the 17th.

illinifan2023

Mar 23, 2024
We can handle it.
I just want to respect y’all.
lol, I hope the team is underestimating Lipsey as much as the fan base is.
I’m not underestimating size at all. I loved Kihei Clark’s game at UVA and watched most of his games. Lipsey obviously isn’t THAT short, but he is undersized compared to Domask. You’re going to need to send a double plain and simple. I don’t care how good of a defender he is. Your ability to defend is negated when your opponent is a half foot taller and 25 pounds heavier.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD

I’m not underestimating size at all. I loved Kihei Clark’s game at UVA and watched most of his games. Lipsey obviously isn’t THAT short, but he is undersized compared to Domask. You’re going to need to send a double plain and simple. I don’t care how good of a defender he is. Your ability to defend is negated when your opponent is a half foot taller and 25 pounds heavier.
In case you haven't heard, he's also the best flopper in the country! Also, he's not a real man.

:jimlad:

• Haha
Reactions: 4theCYcle

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
I'll add though, that the reason BYU is such a bad matchup for Iowa State is not just because they're a high-scoring, above-average-tempo team. It's because they are really good specifically at our Kryptonite: handling the pressure of all our traps and double-teams and swinging it or getting it cross-court for open threes, with a whole team who can hit those threes. They are a live-and-die-by-the-three team with sneaky-good defense. They shot 32 threes per game this year and when they make ~half of them and your team's maximum scoring capacity is about 75-80 points even when you're playing well, you're going to lose.

I don't see a lot of similarities there between Illinois and our Kryptonite team (BYU) other than that they're both high-scoring. Illinois made about 90 fewer threes than BYU this year. Illinois gets to the line way more often than BYU. BYU is a better defense than Illinois. They are pretty different teams other than they both score a lot.

We've played great offensive teams this year and done well. We demolished Iowa. We played Kansas at full strength and beat them handily, that game wasn't as close as the score indicates (I guess KU finished #61 in AdjO, so maybe they aren't "great" but still it's KU). We played Baylor twice, lost a close game on the road by one and blew their doors off at a neutral site. BYU pounded us on the road when they shot the lights out and we pounded them at home when they regressed to the mean on their shooting. Houston is known for their defense but they're #14 in AdjO too and against Iowa State they averaged 56 points in three games. We overall haven't struggled against good offenses except for that first BYU game, and Illinois hasn't seen a defense like this. This is the main reason I think we have a good chance tomorrow and am expecting a win.

Or we'll have one of our "we don't make a field goal for 25% of the game" games and lose! One way or the other.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008

You are going to be in for a rude awakening shortly after tip-off. Your team hasn’t seen anything remotely close to the ISU defense. Your offense is going to struggle all game long.

Reactions: RezClone
Mar 26, 2024
I'll add though, that the reason BYU is such a bad matchup for Iowa State is not just because they're a high-scoring, above-average-tempo team. It's because they are really good specifically at our Kryptonite: handling the pressure of all our traps and double-teams and swinging it or getting it cross-court for open threes, with a whole team who can hit those threes. They are a live-and-die-by-the-three team with sneaky-good defense. They shot 32 threes per game this year and when they make ~half of them and your team's maximum scoring capacity is about 75-80 points even when you're playing well, you're going to lose.

I don't see a lot of similarities there between Illinois and our Kryptonite team (BYU) other than that they're both high-scoring. Illinois made about 90 fewer threes than BYU this year. Illinois gets to the line way more often than BYU. BYU is a better defense than Illinois. They are pretty different teams other than they both score a lot.

We've played great offensive teams this year and done well. We demolished Iowa. We played Kansas at full strength and beat them handily, that game wasn't as close as the score indicates (I guess KU finished #61 in AdjO, so maybe they aren't "great" but still it's KU). We played Baylor twice, lost a close game on the road by one and blew their doors off at a neutral site. BYU pounded us on the road when they shot the lights out and we pounded them at home when they regressed to the mean on their shooting. Houston is known for their defense but they're #14 in AdjO too and against Iowa State they averaged 56 points in three games. We overall haven't struggled against good offenses except for that first BYU game, and Illinois hasn't seen a defense like this. This is the main reason I think we have a good chance tomorrow and am expecting a win.

Or we'll have one of our "we don't make a field goal for 25% of the game" games and lose! One way or the other.
yeah, great points. Illinois recently plays decent d in spurts. They also can, when needed, be decent at switching the ball around...but they are not BYU for sure. This will be a fun game!

Reactions: RezClone

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA

One other thing on turnovers - it's not the # of turnovers that wins the game for ISU, it's that the forced turnover number is indicative of the impact the defense is having on all aspects of the game - the energy and effort that ISU is playing with.
The Wash State game announcers kept harping on the fact that WSU coach preached, it is OK to commit a turnover, as long as it leads to a deadball and not a runout for ISU.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Here is one....to divert us...outside of ISU, who is your most hated team left and why? and if ISU goes out who are you pulling for?
Most hated has to be UCONN - I can't stand Dan Hurley. The guy is a pompous ***hole. After that, Purdue, UNC, Duke are team I don't want winning. Also Clemson, since their coach is kind of a biatch.

Rooting for Houston and NC State, maybe Gonzaga and Arizona if Iowa State does not win.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Most hated has to be UCONN - I can't stand Dan Hurley. The guy is a pompous ***hole. After that, Purdue, UNC, Duke are team I don't want winning. Also Clemson, since their coach is kind of a biatch.

Rooting for Houston and NC State, maybe Gonzaga and Arizona if Iowa State does not win.
I actually like UCONN's team but I can't stand Hurley. I hate Duke the most. Yeah and I don't like Clemson either cause of that whiny coach.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
Interesting to listen to Illinois podcasts. From their viewpoint, they are most worried about how well they stop Iowa State’s offense as much as anything.

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
We have kind of been cooking on offense recently, lots of chefs in the kitchen except for the first quarter of the game or so against WSU.