***Official 2024 Transfer Thread***

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
There’s never been an NBA (or any other pro sports league) season where 100% of players are unrestricted free agents. Even one season of that is crazy, let alone the status quo of having that every year.

Imagine the Pacers being 45 days away from having to sign Haliburton again when they just signed him.
What you’re missing is that Kentucky isn’t the Pacers.

Imagine coaching the Lakers while having uncapped salary, and other franchises can’t lock up guys like Haliburton

In the NBA coaches have to deal with the same ****, but with far less control over getting a superior roster than a place like Kentucky

For coaches that hated the grind and superficial nature of recruiting, wooing kids, NIL and free agency at a place like Kentucky is a better lifestyle

Mads4st8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 17, 2021
Then someone goes to Bama, someone fills in the spot that one leaves behind, etc. That's the huge ripple they're talking about.
Yeah, I get the fill and replace cycle but not seeing the huge ripple effect argument. Alabama isn't replacing Oats with someone better and I can't see K-State being a destination job. I understand the effect just not seeing how it's a big deal. CFB settled very quickly after Saban retired and that seemed to be a much larger event than Cal stepping away from Kentucky.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
What you’re missing is that Kentucky isn’t the Pacers.

Imagine coaching the Lakers while having uncapped salary, and other franchises can’t lock up guys like Haliburton

In the NBA coaches have to deal with the same ****, but with far less control over getting a superior roster than a place like Kentucky

For coaches that hated the grind and superficial nature of recruiting, wooing kids, NIL and free agency at a place like Kentucky is a better lifestyle

I’m just saying it’s a grind everywhere. It’s likely unsustainable.

Cal simply didn’t shift focus from his one year freshman free agents (the old one and done kind) to the one year 22 year old free agent fast enough or at all.

I don’t like the pro sports comparisons because you can have a 3-6 year plan in pro sports more easily as a gm.

Aug 20, 2012
I’m just trying to figure out “huge ripples”.
Don’t be intentionally obtuse.

This is an obvious typo. The original poster merely tried to convey people would be excited, albeit in a somewhat crass manner.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I’m just saying it’s a grind everywhere. It’s likely unsustainable.

Cal simply didn’t shift focus from his one year freshman free
agents (the old one and done kind) to the one year 22 year old free agent fast enough or at all.

I don’t like the pro sports comparisons because you can have a 3-6 year plan in pro sports more easily as a gm.
Two years ago Kentuckys top 7 scorers included 6 portal kids and one 3rd year player, they only played one frosh that year. They brought in 4 starters from other p6 programs and Davidson's leading scorer. Last year their roster was very similar, this is the first year they were freshman heavy during nil. They've tried to adjust, Cal has just struggled in this new era.

• Informative
Reactions: HFCS