J'Vonne Hadley (Curtis Jones' cousin) to have zoom meetings with Iowa State & MSU this week

clone96cr

Apr 11, 2006
Cedar Rapids
Since NIL was approved and implemented in August of 2021, we have had zero incoming transfers from any of the P6 basketball conferences that I can think of. We had a slight advantage with Hadley given relationships but he was always going to command higher dollar being a contributor on a P6 team.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
So who is the team that is luring Hadley away? If it is a big offer my thoughts are Bama or maybe a UNC or UCONN who loses a ton.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
You called Tamin Lipsey and Milan Momcilovic role players that are easily replaced by transfers. Might want to be careful who you call an idiot there.

Name the 10 best Cyclones of the past ten or so years. How many of them were recruited to Iowa State as freshman? Melvin Ejim, Georges Niang, Monte Morris, Naz Long, Matt Thomas, Tyrese Haliburton, Tamin Lipsey and Milan Momcilovic quickly joining that list.

Nojus is every bit the recruit all of them were. All I am saying is maybe not the worst thing in the world if we miss out on a couple transfers and because of it Nojus is a contributor this year on his way to becoming one of those all-time favorite Cyclones several years down the road.
Also, the likes of Royce White and DeAndre Kane were incredible. Mariol Shayok was great. A couple things there: 1.) They only played one year as Cyclones. 2.) In the NIL age we ARE NOT GOING TO GET TRANSFERS OF THAT CALIBER. They cost a lot of $$$$! You want that caliber of player today you better recruit them as freshman and develop them.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
May be Arkansas. The way they are dragging out the Calipari announcement, makes me wonder if he is out tampering players since he is not the official coach yet.

Could be Mich St because everyone dreams of playing in the meat grinder that is the Big10 and going to classic Big 10 venues in places like Piscataway, Lincoln and Eugene.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Since NIL was approved and implemented in August of 2021, we have had zero incoming transfers from any of the P6 basketball conferences that I can think of. We had a slight advantage with Hadley given relationships but he was always going to command higher dollar being a contributor on a P6 team.

And we've been getting better.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
agreed preseason lists mean squat... hell the AP poll during the season means squat.

BUT people have very high expectations for us with the roster we currently have.
I absolutely hate pre-season and early season polls because they seem to have a very large effect throughout the entire season and post-season seating. You always see instances like this year where Kansas was racking up losses while Iowa State was winning, yet Kansas was ranked 10 spots higher just because they started the year in the Top 10.

I fully expect the same will hold true and our Top 3 pre-season ranking will have a wonderful impact throughout all of next season (rolleyes).

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Ummmm maybe I'm late to the game but are we not going to mention the fact that Darlinstone Dubar is #2 on the list?
You are late to the game lol, as he's been discussed. Looks like the big boys are after him. Happy for the guy, as he showed some promise in his freshman season here.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Jefferson would be a great fit for Iowa State. St Mary’s was top 5 in defensive efficiency this year. Jefferson started in 26 games, averaging 25 minutes per game, so was a big part of helping that team achieve that distinction.
I automatically assume anybody on these types of lists are too expensive for us so I don't consider it happening.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Ummmm maybe I'm late to the game but are we not going to mention the fact that Darlinstone Dubar is #2 on the list?
I don't know if he's really developed into the #2 spot on that list or not, but there are going to be cases where a player needs more time on the court to develop than they're going to get at a big-time program, especially in their early years.

Omaha is the same thing - he seemingly has some potential higher than where he's at, but between him wanting to get game time and Iowa State having options better right now, it's best for both parties to part ways. That doesn't mean that player won't eventually develop into something good, or even special.

There's also something to be said about a player going down a level and then being special at that level. Clayton Custer was a great example. He wasn't going to do anything here but became a really critical piece of his team's NCAA run.

The reverse is also true - Brockington averaged less than 10pts/game before he got here and developed into a beast.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I automatically assume anybody on these types of lists are too expensive for us so I don't consider it happening.
I get it, but so far, he only has 3 visits scheduled. VCU, Virginia and Iowa State. I doubt VCU can out-bid us. Maybe Virginia can, but who would want to play for that team right now? They are a mess.

We’ll see, I suppose.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I saw Cade Tyson play for Belmont in person this year. There's no way he's the 3rd best SF in the portal. I'd be extremely cautious of any of these rankings.

I watched him as well and he can dominate games. He can also go unnoticed. He is extremely good most of the times but can be silent other times. Who did you see him play against?

• Informative
Reactions: NoCreativity

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Took off ignore to see WhoisThis/FinalFourCy/Swarthmore's posts to be reminded why they're ignored.

Yikes.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I don't know if he's really developed into the #2 spot on that list or not, but there are going to be cases where a player needs more time on the court to develop than they're going to get at a big-time program, especially in their early years.

Omaha is the same thing - he seemingly has some potential higher than where he's at, but between him wanting to get game time and Iowa State having options better right now, it's best for both parties to part ways. That doesn't mean that player won't eventually develop into something good, or even special.

There's also something to be said about a player going down a level and then being special at that level. Clayton Custer was a great example. He wasn't going to do anything here but became a really critical piece of his team's NCAA run.

The reverse is also true - Brockington averaged less than 10pts/game before he got here and developed into a beast.

Has a list came out of who is after Omaha yet? I could see some staying away since he didn't get playing time. I could also see some saying he got burried as a freshman on a top 10 top 5 team. Someone will take a risk on him like they did the kid at SMU. Just wondering how high of an offer list. Is it like Kansas, Duke, UNC or is it more Vandy, Georgia, Missouri type teams. I could see him down at Missouri.

Reactions: Acer88

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron