"Meh" recruits vs Heralded Ones.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
What was Kane like as a transfer?
I don't follow recruiting or transfers very well, but I clearly remember it was only about 2 or 3 games into the season when you just knew Kane was going to great for us.

• Agree
Reactions: Cloneon

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
I don’t get caught up too much in a “boom” vs “bust” players. It simply means did the player exceed expectations or not.

Basically, once they step foot into the practice facility, I really don’t care if they were a 5* player vs a 3* player. I care more about results alone than the results : expectations ratio

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Shayok was a stud. I loved his game and his smoothness. I just wish we could have had him for 1 more year.

It goes to show that Prohm was such a fantastic recruiter, but just not a head coach for the big 12. Lard had so much potential that never got unleashed. I don't know if thats as much on Prohm, but also on Lard not honing that skill and working his butt off. He just didn't have the right attitude.

Wigginton was solid. As others have mentioned, Prohm just didn't handle that situation very well. He had the skill, it was just mixing it with the others. Maybe Wiggs was a little selfish, but I also do think he had the will to want to win and he just wanted to be "the guy." He got a little sloppy at times trying too hard.

I think we were spoiled during the Hoiberg years with guys really buying in to Cyclone nation and building the program back up. Some of those guys would be fantastic to pull back in to Otz's world right now as a transfer. I'd love to have a Chris Babb back for his 3 point shot making and his defense. Matt Thomas' senior year jump from junior year on defense was really a thing to witness too.

We definitely have the right man for the job in Otz. We just now have the fun of every coaching vacancy where his name will be constantly thrown around. His and Green's ability to develop a guy like BRE may be the craziest and best turnaround I have seen at ISU. The guy struggled to catch passes underneath and just looked like he didn't belong on a big 12 team. He turns that around to being a big 12 caliber player and a solid glue guy that was imperative to ISU's success this year. What a dude. I just hope we can keep some of these guys to watch them develop in the coming years, but NIL may really hinder that possibility.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
What was Kane like as a transfer?
I don't follow recruiting or transfers very well, but I clearly remember it was only about 2 or 3 games into the season when you just knew Kane was going to great for us.
He was kind of sloppy at Marshall, but was touted as a top tier transfer for his scoring ability. Wasn't able to shoot the 3 very well either. But, he clearly worked his butt off to develop a shot and I think his best attribute was driving to the basket like a bull and draw fouls or make difficult shots/layups. I still remember when he made that difficult layup against UNC late in the game to win. His downfall was getting sloppy at times with turnovers and going in too out of control. Without looking it up, what was Kane, 6'4" or 6'5?" I think.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
I don’t get caught up too much in a “boom” vs “bust” players. It simply means did the player exceed expectations or not.

Basically, once they step foot into the practice facility, I really don’t care if they were a 5* player vs a 3* player. I care more about results alone than the results : expectations ratio
I think Haliburton would have been fun to have a year or two longer, but can't believe he went as high as he did in the draft and has turned into what he has with Indy.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Wigginton’s problem was more of his parents being a problem for the coaching staff more than him being a problem. His parents were constantly berating Prohm and staff for not starting him. From my understanding is he was upset for not starting, but he personally wasn’t causing drama and was a team player for the most part still. It was mainly Talen Horton Tucker being the cancer to the team, along with Lard being Lard. Shayok is probably(arguably) best one year transfer in ISU history. He carried that team on his back while also being a leader in what was a tumultuous locker room full of drama, led by a head coach who did nothing to help out.
Would Royce White be considered a transfer. He first attended Minnesota but never played.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don’t know if Lard was as much of a bust; or that CSP coaching skills with him were lacking.

Mix of both I'd guess. CSP attempted to help Lard but it meant sending him off somewhere to some retreat/clinic or something.

He may have been someone who needed a really strong cut and dry foundation and I still wonder if someone like TJ would have had a better chance.

Either way it takes the person on the other end to step up.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Adam Haluska
45937821ff88a81af3401fe7f9b355d2.gif

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
I got into a fun discussion with a friend of mine, and thought CF would enjoy it. This topic is not limited to basketball, but I had to put it somewhere.

From recruiting standpoint, we have an interesting mix of Cyclone Greats, as well as not-so-greats or busts. Some of their commitments sent CF into a tailspin of fanboy excitement. Others drew crickets, indifference, or "meh" reactions at best.

Some of the latter that come to mind are Jaz, BRE, Tyrese Halliburton, Naz. I remember many, including myself, not necessarily dismissing them entirely but having a cautious or even skeptical attitude toward them. On paper, certainly not the flashiest profiles ever. Now I can't imagine Cyclone sports without their legacy and impact.

Then other guys like Omaha, Lindell Wigginton, Zion Griffin, Terrence Lewis came in to much fanfare and excitement only to leave as varying degrees of disappointments.

Where it really gets interesting is debating guys like BDJ, Cam Lard, Jameel McKay even one year standouts like THT or Shayock. Certainly not busts, but maybe left us wanting more???

Finally, there's the success stories that checked both boxes, and we can debate the degree they promised much and undeniably delivered, or even OVER delivered: Georges Niang, Monte, Matt Thomas, Tamin and Milan, etc.

I tried not to name everyone (sorry if I shared too many), but I wanted to give enough examples to clarify what I'm getting at here because I found the discussion interesting and fun. I left football out entirely for this reason and we discussed that, too.

I'm sure people could all talk for hours about this, which is entirely the point heading into the off-season here. Feel free to drag me or disagree to your heart's content. We've got a lot of hours to kill, and picking things apart to obsessive levels is all part of the fun! Let's hear what CF has to say. Does anyone come to mind?
You can add Xavier Foster to the list as Cyclone bust...because of poor choices and possibly work ethic...
I think because TJ looks for good fits to the program, rather than NIL grabbers, its hard for a lot of CFs to know how good someone will be. Prove it on the court we'll love you for life!

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
That was a fan issue not a wigginton issue imo. The only thing he did wrong was having CSP as a coach and not averaging 25 ppg.
Sure, but most of the people on here thought Wigginton should start over Haliburton. From the very first game Haliburton started against Mizzou I said of the three - Haliburton, THT or Wigginton, Haliburton is the guy that has to start, and you can pick between the other two.

I do think Wigginton got a bad rap, and I would've started him over THT. I know that team had some problems that gave off the vibe of disgruntled players, but it's easy to understand. These guys had talent and were not well coached.

Hell, Wigginton balled out off the bench. He could've easily mailed it in, but he played his ass off and was very gracious and great to fans.

• Agree
Reactions: mschmitty17

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron