"Meh" recruits vs Heralded Ones.

mplueg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 27, 2009
One that comes to mind that's partly matter of circumstance as much as actual expectation v bust: Lucca Staiger.

First, there was the whole sit-out year fiasco ("Will he or won't he be allowed to play?"). Had he arrived as expected, the hype-o-meter might have been more in balance.

Secondly, although touted as a key piece to the puzzle, I think by that point the program's framework/roster development already was shaky, and it was unrealistic to expect more than a 6th-man/sniper.
Staiger and Vanderbeeken fall in the same box for me, could hit a few threes but could literally do nothing else!!

Reactions: Jer

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
Shayok was a stud. I loved his game and his smoothness. I just wish we could have had him for 1 more year.

It goes to show that Prohm was such a fantastic recruiter, but just not a head coach for the big 12. Lard had so much potential that never got unleashed. I don't know if thats as much on Prohm, but also on Lard not honing that skill and working his butt off. He just didn't have the right attitude.
Well since you mentioned it, I'll even expose my own gem of a hot take. Once, I said something to the effect of:

"Steve Prohm deserves another chance on his ability as a recruiter alone."

I got mercilessly dragged for that one, and justifiably so. I earnestly pray for forgiveness every night for that one. LOL!

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
He was kind of sloppy at Marshall, but was touted as a top tier transfer for his scoring ability. Wasn't able to shoot the 3 very well either. But, he clearly worked his butt off to develop a shot and I think his best attribute was driving to the basket like a bull and draw fouls or make difficult shots/layups. I still remember when he made that difficult layup against UNC late in the game to win. His downfall was getting sloppy at times with turnovers and going in too out of control. Without looking it up, what was Kane, 6'4" or 6'5?" I think.
Yes he was listed at both. Played big, too.

FWIW. In the pre-draft process his true height was actually only 6′ 2.75in without shoes.... 6′ 4.5in with shoes.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
As far as "meh" recruits who panned out, I'm surprised no one has mentioned our favorite walk-on, Jeff Hornacek.
I think I remember hearing his intended scholarship was given to Grayer, or something like that? I could be misremebering it or could be an urban legend. But I remember hearing from mulitple people he was a walk-on but wasn't orginally supposed to be, or something like that.

It was before my time, too.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I think I remember hearing his intended scholarship was given to Grayer, or something like that? I could be misremebering it or could be an urban legend. But I remember hearing from mulitple people he was a walk-on but wasn't orginally supposed to be, or something like that.

It was before my time, too.
I think the gist is he would've been on scholarship immediately, but had no openings that season.

Anyone with additional knowledge may correct me if I'm incorrect.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
He was kind of sloppy at Marshall, but was touted as a top tier transfer for his scoring ability. Wasn't able to shoot the 3 very well either. But, he clearly worked his butt off to develop a shot and I think his best attribute was driving to the basket like a bull and draw fouls or make difficult shots/layups. I still remember when he made that difficult layup against UNC late in the game to win. His downfall was getting sloppy at times with turnovers and going in too out of control. Without looking it up, what was Kane, 6'4" or 6'5?" I think.
Did someone mention DeAndre Kane?

NrpaMY.gif

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I think the gist is he would've been on scholarship immediately, but had no openings that season.

Anyone with additional knowledge may correct me if I'm incorrect.
I think he came into the picture a little late and Johnny didn't have a scholarship left but Johnny wanted him badly so he promised him a sophomore scholly if he would walk on his freshman year.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Yeah, Percy was just not an explosive athlete. Smooth, but deliberate. He was big, but not overly so where he would have success off that alone. He also had problems keeping the ball high.

He was at his best playing off of Royce White's greatness, but you probably could have put just about any big there and have similar results. But he did seem to work well without the ball and have good bball IQ, so credit to him for that.

To your point about competition, I think he transferred down to Detroit Mercy or something like that. Unfortunately, bigs at his size are still really hard to project unless they are a lot bigger.
He went to Oakland with Sherron Dorsey-Walker

Reactions: RezClone

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I miss Cap City. I remember Nick Weiler-Babb trying to "guard" Deonte Burton. We didn't know either of them yet, but one was a chihuahua and the other was an english bulldog. And they were both laughing the whole time.

• Winner

shadow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Central Iowa
CFH coached from 2010-2015 with Ejim there from 2010-2014. It has been said that Melvin was good at keeping people in line. In addition to being a better recruiter, was the main other difference between CFH and CSP having a player like Ejim keeping the locker room under control? TJ seems to be better about keeping players in line than either of the other two.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron