"Meh" recruits vs Heralded Ones.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
I got into a fun discussion with a friend of mine, and thought CF would enjoy it. This topic is not limited to basketball, but I had to put it somewhere.

From recruiting standpoint, we have an interesting mix of Cyclone Greats, as well as not-so-greats or busts. Some of their commitments sent CF into a tailspin of fanboy excitement. Others drew crickets, indifference, or "meh" reactions at best.

Some of the latter that come to mind are Jaz, BRE, Tyrese Halliburton, Naz. I remember many, including myself, not necessarily dismissing them entirely but having a cautious or even skeptical attitude toward them. On paper, certainly not the flashiest profiles ever. Now I can't imagine Cyclone sports without their legacy and impact.

Then other guys like Omaha, Lindell Wigginton, Zion Griffin, Terrence Lewis came in to much fanfare and excitement only to leave as varying degrees of disappointments.

Where it really gets interesting is debating guys like BDJ, Cam Lard, Jameel McKay even one year standouts like THT or Shayock. Certainly not busts, but maybe left us wanting more???

Finally, there's the success stories that checked both boxes, and we can debate the degree they promised much and undeniably delivered, or even OVER delivered: Georges Niang, Monte, Matt Thomas, Tamin and Milan, etc.

I tried not to name everyone (sorry if I shared too many), but I wanted to give enough examples to clarify what I'm getting at here because I found the discussion interesting and fun. I left football out entirely for this reason and we discussed that, too.

I'm sure people could all talk for hours about this, which is entirely the point heading into the off-season here. Feel free to drag me or disagree to your heart's content. We've got a lot of hours to kill, and picking things apart to obsessive levels is all part of the fun! Let's hear what CF has to say. Does anyone come to mind?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'd say Lard was a bust. In and out of CSP's dog house and could hardly stay on the floor. One of the bigger 'what ifs' in recent ISU lore because his natural ability looked sky high. Even though he was mainly around the basket occasionally he had a nice jumper and could move really well.

I wouldn't call Wigginton a bust; he was really impactful both years he was at ISU and had some huge moments. He just seemed to have one foot out the door the whole time and looked like it at times; and I don't blame him as there were indications that he didn't really know what his role was or why he was coming off the bench, etc.

BDJ and McKay were reportedly in that 'needs to be babysat' category which is kind of weird from all sorts of angles but perhaps what we saw was about as good as it was going to get.

I remember some play where BDJ got knocked down or something and came back up looking agitated and his teammates circled around him to try to calm him down. That's hard on a team.

Last edited:

PredominantISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 28, 2014
Theres a single player I often think about Hallice Cook. I was so pumped when we signed him as a transfer from Oregon State. He transferred in after a stellar freshman year where he shot 45% from 3 and I thought he was going to be a star in our elite offensive system.

Can’t fully remember but it seemed like beef with CSP and health issues really limited his time and production on the court and he eventually transferred out to Nevada.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
No way you can say that Shayok left us wanting more. He was a spectacular one-year player for us.

To your main point, yeah it’s always hard to predict how an incoming player will turn out. I’m just going to trust TJ at this point. He’s done a remarkable job so far.

This.

Shayok was awesome in his short time here. I wish we had him longer. Same with Holmes.

Some of the guys listed, Id say, fall into a category not of disappointment but of circumstance, like Lewis, who seemed to have a good head on his shoulders, a solid skillset, but just couldnt crack the regular rotation because the guys in front of him were so solid. Lewis was behind Babb, Wigginton and Jackson as a freshman, Babb, Wigginton, Haliburton, Shayok, THT (!!!) as a sophomore, then Bolton and Haliburton his junior year. He left for Grambling and shot .455 from 3 there.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Theres a single player I often think about Hallice Cook. I was so pumped when we signed him as a transfer from Oregon State. He transferred in after a stellar freshman year where he shot 45% from 3 and I thought he was going to be a star in our elite offensive system.

Can’t fully remember but it seemed like beef with CSP and health issues really limited his time and production on the court and he eventually transferred out to Nevada.

Cook got hurt but wasn’t he a Fred recruit? Maybe I’m wrong

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
That was a fan issue not a wigginton issue imo. The only thing he did wrong was having CSP as a coach and not averaging 25 ppg.
I think there's a lot of locker room drama that most will never know and Shayok and Jacobsen tried to keep it all in check because of how terrible Prohm was at dealing with it all.
There was a lot of tension with Lindell not starting from what I had heard.

• Winner
Reactions: xboxfever

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I think there's a lot of locker room drama that most will never know and Shayok and Jacobsen tried to keep it all in check because of how terrible Prohm was at dealing with it all.
There was a lot of tension with Lindell not starting from what I had heard.

Yep, like I said, a CSP issue.

Reactions: madguy30

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That was a fan issue not a wigginton issue imo. The only thing he did wrong was having CSP as a coach and not averaging 25 ppg.

Yeah I don't even put it on him and don't blame him if he was checked out.

We've all had situations where if you don't feel like you know where you stand, you leave.

Players need direction and a 'what and why' to their time and it appeared he didn't have it at his time at ISU.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Yeah I don't even put it on him and don't blame him if he was checked out.

We've all had situations where if you don't feel like you know where you stand, you leave.

Players need direction and a 'what and why' to their time and it appeared he didn't have it at his time at ISU.
I don't think Wiggs checked out. He wanted to play and was upset about not starting.
Prohm's rotations were terrible, predictable, and Wiggs sat too much.

Like I said, it's why my opinion mellowed on him. He really was great with ISU fans in Des Moines when he'd come to town for the Bucks affiliate.

Reactions: RezClone

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
No way you can say that Shayok left us wanting more. He was a spectacular one-year player for us.

To your main point, yeah it’s always hard to predict how an incoming player will turn out. I’m just going to trust TJ at this point. He’s done a remarkable job so far.
100% fair. I just threw that one in there as an artificial example of what a controversial hot take might look like.

Something like, 'he was only here for one year and they lost in the first round' (two things probably more or less out of his control, but not necessarily entirely out his control either lol)

He was a dog, and I actually 100% agree with you... but I would entertain an argument otherwise for flimsy reasons, I guess. Just trying to grease the wheels a bit, but credit to you for jumping on it immediately lol.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
I don't think Wiggs checked out. He wanted to play and was upset about not starting.
Prohm's rotations were terrible, predictable, and Wiggs sat too much.

Like I said, it's why my opinion mellowed on him. He really was great with ISU fans in Des Moines when he'd come to town for the Bucks affiliate.
we're fortunate the immediate transfer rule or NIL didnt exist when Wiggington was here

i've heard he contemplated leaving after his freshman year but didnt want to sit out

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
One that comes to mind that's partly matter of circumstance as much as actual expectation v bust: Lucca Staiger.

First, there was the whole sit-out year fiasco ("Will he or won't he be allowed to play?"). Had he arrived as expected, the hype-o-meter might have been more in balance.

Secondly, although touted as a key piece to the puzzle, I think by that point the program's framework/roster development already was shaky, and it was unrealistic to expect more than a 6th-man/sniper.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
I got into a fun discussion with a friend of mine, and thought CF would enjoy it. This topic is not limited to basketball, but I had to put it somewhere.

From recruiting standpoint, we have an interesting mix of Cyclone Greats, as well as not-so-greats or busts. Some of their commitments sent CF into a tailspin of fanboy excitement. Others drew crickets, indifference, or "meh" reactions at best.

Some of the latter that come to mind are Jaz, BRE, Tyrese Halliburton, Naz. I remember many, including myself, not necessarily dismissing them entirely but having a cautious or even skeptical attitude toward them. On paper, certainly not the flashiest profiles ever. Now I can't imagine Cyclone sports without their legacy and impact.

Then other guys like Omaha, Lindell Wigginton, Zion Griffin, Terrence Lewis came in to much fanfare and excitement only to leave as varying degrees of disappointments.

Where it really gets interesting is debating guys like BDJ, Cam Lard, Jameel McKay even one year standouts like THT or Shayock. Certainly not busts, but maybe left us wanting more???

Finally, there's the success stories that checked both boxes, and we can debate the degree they promised much and undeniably delivered, or even OVER delivered: Georges Niang, Monte, Matt Thomas, Tamin and Milan, etc.

I tried not to name everyone (sorry if I shared too many), but I wanted to give enough examples to clarify what I'm getting at here because I found the discussion interesting and fun. I left football out entirely for this reason and we discussed that, too.

I'm sure people could all talk for hours about this, which is entirely the point heading into the off-season here. Feel free to drag me or disagree to your heart's content. We've got a lot of hours to kill, and picking things apart to obsessive levels is all part of the fun! Let's hear what CF has to say. Does anyone come to mind?
Craig Brackins is someone i feel is a bit underappreciated because his teams were so bad during his ISU time

great recuit that lived up to the hype but those teams were just so boring

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013

Oh man, great pull! I can't believe I forgot about that one, I was also so hyped for Hallice Cook.

This is exactly the type of take I was hoping for

Reactions: PredominantISU

Help Support Us

Become a patron