K-State game in 2025 in Ireland (CONFIRMED)

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
It would be different from the more recent games involving Nebraska, Notre Dame, and Florida State. At the same time, though, I’m not sure which Big 12 fanbases could be relied on to travel better than ISU and KSU. If they want a Big 12 game for this, Farmageddon makes as much sense as any could.
Are these games really about the number of fans travelling there, or more about exposure to that locations people.

I see all of these types of games, in Mexico and Europe, in all sports as more about trying to increase international interest, more than trying to increase that locations tourism.

Reactions: MugNight

ZorkClone

Nov 12, 2019
One of the requirements is extensive on air experience. Won't be getting any crazy random fan submissions.
I have to imagine that they already have who they want for this already picked out. This email seems is a way of informing us that this will be happening.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
Along with this they need to get a better flow and mix the stadium music and the band better. Seems like no matter what just happened on the field even after a big play they always cut the music and go to the band which sometimes kills the hype quick. I love the band but they need to be used better. Imo.

Also their should be a section of season ticket holders that are like ultras in soccer and have flares and flags and yell obscenities at the visiting team.
Disagree. Kill the canned music and have the band play more.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
They will probably get the Iowa Nice guy. Or a former weatherman.

I would absolutely vote for Georges for this (if he was retired and available).
They should get Chris Kuball if WOI would let him. He’s a mainstay of the CF weather thread.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
  • Maintain a well-groomed appearance that aligns with the ISU brand.
Like others said, they may have someone in mind and the posting is just a formality. But that "aligns with the ISU brand" part...would be curious how someone would define that (i'm sure the well-groomed appearance probably is standard language in postings for on air personalities, etc)

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Are these games really about the number of fans travelling there, or more about exposure to that locations people.

I see all of these types of games, in Mexico and Europe, in all sports as more about trying to increase international interest, more than trying to increase that locations tourism.

It’s both; the Irish side is trying to drive tourism. Their website boasts about last year’s game being worth $150 million to the Ireland economy.

From this perspective, we make more sense: Iowa has the highest proportion of Irish ancestry of any Big 12 state. Kansas isn’t 2nd (that would be Ohio, followed closely by West Virginia) but Kansas is higher than Oklahoma or Texas.

Reactions: MugNight

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Have you ever actually met the guy? He's a straight up awesome human. I was at an ISU tailgate before the game in Akron back in '17, and he was just tailgating with that group, doing his thing, and was just a hoot.

A good buddy of mine worked in his department years ago and said he was pretty sure that he was forced to do those crowd cheers and knew it was completely cheesy. But that was also the birth of "Cyclone Power" too.

Agreed that Jeff is a great guy, but that in-stadium role was definitely cringey and I'm glad its gone.

I don't know that that was the birth of cyclone power though. Its not unique to ISU at least. I do remember him trying to do CY-CL-ON-ES at the different corners of the stadium, which went off poorly.

Reactions: Freebird

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
It’s both; the Irish side is trying to drive tourism. Their website boasts about last year’s game being worth $150 million to the Ireland economy.

From this perspective, we make more sense: Iowa has the highest proportion of Irish ancestry of any Big 12 state. Kansas isn’t 2nd (that would be Ohio, followed closely by West Virginia) but Kansas is higher than Oklahoma or Texas.
But are they driving more "local" tourism, from around Europe, rather than tourism from here?

My guess is that site doesnt distinguish a tourist from Britain than one from America.

I personally would like to go, but my wife can not take vacation time during the School year, and I am not going to go to Ireland for 1 day and leave.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Agreed that Jeff is a great guy, but that in-stadium role was definitely cringey and I'm glad its gone.

I don't know that that was the birth of cyclone power though. Its not unique to ISU at least. I do remember him trying to do CY-CL-ON-ES at the different corners of the stadium, which went off poorly.

I think it was the birth of Cyclone Power. It was the best thing to come out of those cheer sessions during games.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
I vote for the sorority girl that was helping do sideline reporting for the early ESPN+ games this year.

Reactions: pulse