***Official 2024 Chicago Cubs Thread***

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
That last inning was an unfortunate ending to a scrappy game by the Cubbies....but we simply do not have other guys to throw in there to pitch in pressure situations, and with Wesneski pressed into service tonight, there's only so much you can do. Frustrating.

• Agree
Reactions: cyguy9320

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Horrible baserunning by Duran. Worse situational defense by us.

Zero excuse Happ is playing as deep as he was with the game winning run on 3rd. None.

Morel with his negative WAR needs to pick it up. Tired of his **** as well. Dude is ******* terrible. Give him a week break. Dude is worse than quite literally any option on your bench or in Des Moines. **** me, man. It’s hard to watch. And he’s got so much support behind him and it’s mind blowing. Dude is a shittier version of modern day Javy Baez but less expensive.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Just checked. Per Baseball Reference, Morel has negatively contributed to the teams chances of winning in 16 of the last 21 games and 18 of 28 games this season.

That’s like having a negative in the +/- of a really good basketball team.

I’m just not sure how long you can continue throwing out a guy who is consistently going against your teams odds of winning.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
That last inning was an unfortunate ending to a scrappy game by the Cubbies....but we simply do not have other guys to throw in there to pitch in pressure situations, and with Wesneski pressed into service tonight, there's only so much you can do. Frustrating.
After a rough year last year Wesneski has looked more like the pitcher we saw in late 2022. That slider/sweeper pitch of his is just nasty and he threw it well tonight against lefties too I thought. Definitely got squeezed on a few pitches too but I think after a rough spring training he's pitching pretty well as a flex guy right now.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Having a discussion amongst a few peers

Who do Suzuki and Belli replace when healthy?

I genuinely think I might go Belli replace Mervis and Suzuki replace Morel. Morel goes to Iowa to figure his weak **** out.

Allows PCA and Tauch to still get regular ABs, Busch can move to 3B
It's tough because the guy that sucks today maybe the star 2 weeks from now. Busch is slumping as well. Having him and Morel in the heart of the order is killing us. I doubt they move Busch just yet but I could see Wisdom at 3rd and Bellinger at 1st for a series or so. If PCA can continue to hit he's never giving up CF.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
After a rough year last year Wesneski has looked more like the pitcher we saw in late 2022. That slider/sweeper pitch of his is just nasty and he threw it well tonight against lefties too I thought. Definitely got squeezed on a few pitches too but I think after a rough spring training he's pitching pretty well as a flex guy right now.
Read an article on Horton couple days ago. They suggested he has no.more to prove in AA or AAA for that matter and he's at AA for the warmer weather. If they continue to limit him to 4 innings it may be to save his arm for the second half.

When everyone gets back by merit the rotation should be.
Steele
Imanaga
Taillon
Assad
Then Brown or Little as an openers then 2 of the following once through the order each.
Wicks, Wesneski, Smyly, Hendricks. This spot is Horton's for the taking.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Just checked. Per Baseball Reference, Morel has negatively contributed to the teams chances of winning in 16 of the last 21 games and 18 of 28 games this season.

That’s like having a negative in the +/- of a really good basketball team.

I’m just not sure how long you can continue throwing out a guy who is consistently going against your teams odds of winning.

You have to think Morel is first on the chopping block once guys get healthy again. I just don't get the sense Counsell will stand for his poor approach at the plate. His strikeout with two on in the 4th was just brutal. Swung at a ball a good foot inside.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Crazy pitcher efficiency tonight. Taillon 72 pitches and Severino 88 over 7 innings. Might have a 100 minute game.