Bigs for next year?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I've seen a few comments alluding to TJ not playing 4 guards, that he doesn't want to play small, or that the system can't work with 4 guards, which makes me think some have forgotten a few of the lineups that Otz has played.

2023/24: The combo of Lipsey/Gilbert/Pav/Jones has played 33 minutes
2022/23: Combo of Lipsey/Grill/Holmes/Kalscheur played 179 minutes (remember that Grill's injury/leaving the team kept this lower)
2021/22: Combo of Hunter/Grill/Brockington/Kalscheur played 285 minutes
(stats per cbbanalytics.com)

This season, he hasn't done it as much because there are more guys who fit as a prototypical 4 and Pav hasn't forced his way into the lineup. But overall, Otz has been very willing to play 4 true guards when it's been the best option for the roster. With the length of Hamilton, Pierce, and Indrusaitis, I think we could see 4 guards again in the future, as long as they all contribute enough on the boards. That being said, as long as Momcilovic is here, there probably won't be too many minutes with 4 true guards because MM will always be playing the 3 or the 4.
TJ has referred to Milan as a guard, so I think in his mind, Lipsey/Gilbert/Jones/Momcilovic is a four guard lineup

• Agree
Reactions: bawbie

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
I think that Pierce kid coming in next year has a similar game as Burton…. am I wrong? He’s kind of a bulldog type body, he’s probably shorter than Burton though I’m guessing? Anyway, Pierce is intriguing to me nonetheless.
He's listed at 6'5", so he'd be pretty undersized for a Big 12 frontcourt, although so was Burton.

Can't find a lot of Pierce highlight reels on YouTube. He looks like a strong dude but seems to be playing more of a guard position at the high school level.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
TJ has referred to Milan as a guard, so I think in his mind, Lipsey/Gilbert/Jones/Momcilovic is a four-guard lineup
Yeah, and that's fair. I didn't quite know what to do with MM when making that post. I separated him out because the other four guys can all be primary/secondary ball handlers, whereas Momcilovic is usually more of a tertiary ball handler. I guess that's kind of my distinction of "true guard" vs. more of a wing/forward.

For what it's worth, though, if we add him in, lineups with at least 4 of those 5 guys have played 333 minutes this season.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
"Modern" basketball offenses I think don't need five unique and clearly defined different positions. Hasn't been that way for a while. I remember Larry mentioning ~20 years ago that they don't recruit guys to be 1s/2s/3s/4s/5s, just "guards" and "posts".

Milan is still pretty different to me though in terms of his role compared to Tamin/Keshon/Curtis.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
"Modern" basketball offenses I think don't need five unique and clearly defined different positions. Hasn't been that way for a while. I remember Larry mentioning ~20 years ago that they don't recruit guys to be 1s/2s/3s/4s/5s, just "guards" and "posts".

Milan is still pretty different to me though in terms of his role compared to Tamin/Keshon/Curtis.

Basketball positions are more "clusters" of size and skills than specific groups like football.

I think there's fundamentally four of them right now...

Points (a guard with the ball skills, passing ability, and vision to run an offense)
Guards (a guard who lacks PG skills but bring something to the table scoring and/or on defense)
Wings (taller than guards, forwards with a game oriented towards the basket/out of the lane)
Centers (true big men defined by their size, desire to be down low, and general lack of shooting skills)

Even that is imperfect, but it is how I tend to think of things.

Reactions: tman24

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Play 2 guards handling the ball, 2 wings, and 1 center. If Rock and Omaha can develop to share a spot, we’ll be just fine. If not, then we’ll need to find another big body.

Guards: Lipsey, Gilbert, Pav
Wings: MM, Jones, Watson
Center: Rock, Omaha, Fish

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
He's not a big but I also have high hopes for Nojus Indrusaitis! He's listed at 6'5" in some places but I think he's more like 6'4". Guy's just a shooter/scorer:

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
I didn’t realize until tonight that Ward is also a senior. Yikes! So we lose BRE, King, and Ward.

Right now we have JT Rock and 6’6” Kayden Fish for bigs next year? No, I don’t count Omaha as a big.

And as of now, just 2 guards coming in next season. Any ideas on who we might be able to go get to bring in??

Sorry if this already has a thread on this topic.
Too soon to know, but I imagine once the season is officially over and guys start announcing transfers, TJ will get to work on that. He'll bring in a dominant guy. King/BRE/Ward were such under the radar steals. All bring a different dimension in style of needed play.

Has to be some incentive for someone to see the roster, current success, and development of the current bigs that will be luring for top tier guys. Yeah, we may not have the best NIL, but it'll fall into place.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Replacing Rob and Hassan is going to be difficult. If you look at box score you’d disagree.

Hassan’s impact is really hard to quantify. He covers so much ground it’s crazy. Rob’s perimeter defense on the pick and roll is elite for a big man.

Our defense is built on great ball pressure and individual defense but what makes it elite is the help and the rotations.

so much more difficult to replace than what it appears on the surface.
BRE also communicates very well in terms of keeping guys moving. And yeah agree, Ward covers so much ground and protects that rim very well.

• Agree

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
A lot hinges I think on (1a) Does Omaha stay, (1b) How much can he play and contribute, and (2) Same question for Rock, how much can he play and contribute?

If the answers to those questions are "Yes" and "20+ productive minutes against Big 12 teams" and we see why these guys were 4- and 5-star recruits, then we're in real good shape for next year. We should hit the portal regardless though!

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
BRE also communicates very well in terms of keeping guys moving. And yeah agree, Ward covers so much ground and protects that rim very well.
Ward has been a really good rim protector. Not elite though, and I do sometimes wish he'd focus more on defensive rebounding versus going for the highlight reel block into the 5th row.

• Agree
Reactions: 4theCYcle

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Burton is listed at 6'4", Pierce is listed on 247 at 6'5" (though I'd bet he's actually 6'4"). But yeah, they're built similar. As far as game similarity, I think Pierce has more playmaking skill and is a better defender, but he probably has less quickness and vertical than Burton. But Pierce will still be coming in with a Big 12 body and should be able to compete physically in a way that most freshmen aren't able to.

For that reason, I kind of think he's more likely to be a contributor than Nojus next season, though most people here seem to be higher on Nojus (not that I'm low on him; I just think that Pierce probably fits in better as a role player for next year's team).
Look for Nojus to next year be our version of that annoying little headbanded floppy haired BYU guard the other night. Lightning in a bottle offense.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Nobody knows how Fish will turn out or what his career will hold (here or elsewhere). He came in knowing he needed to develop and has been a hard worker in practice. He has a total of 18 minutes played this year so anybody making any outside assessment on those 18 minutes is full of it. He's engaged on the bench and can develop into a good role player. I don't think he's an All Big 12 Team kind of guy, but that never should have been the expectation either.

Pav is in a difficult position. He's used his transfer (possible that doesn't matter given some current legal events with the NCAA) and I think has shown to really struggle adjusting to the size and physicality of the Big 12. He has some skill, but how much higher the ceiling is for him is really hard to tell. The makeup of the other 4 guys playing with him at any given time makes a huge difference in his ability to create any space to score.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Aclone