Bracketology 2024

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
I read it and nothing in that post was new or something that hasn’t been said by multiple posters in the past couple of days. In fact, I said something extremely similar about Milan like 30 min after the loss on Saturday.

Nothing against either of them and they have more info on the “inside” workings of the team but when it comes down to X’s and O’s and philosophy there are many users just as plugged into or more than they are.

Like people were upset with them after the Liberty Bowl becasue they were optimistic going into it and when it all went to hell “well CW said we should be able to run all day!?!”
Don’t know what to tell you. CW is great friends with Otz, I trust what he says on ISU mens basketball because of how close he is to the program. He might not have a great basketball mind, but he talks to people who do.
I don’t take as much of what he says as gospel for football though because Campbell has that place locked up like Fort Knox.

gipper2001

Aug 28, 2013
Phoenix
I had a question for the board. I know that certain bracketologists have higher accuracy than others. Is there a website or an explanation of how final bracket predictions are scored? I do my guesses every year for fun, I'd like to see how I match up with some others and hope I'm better than Jerry Palm. Any suggestions would be great.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I had a question for the board. I know that certain bracketologists have higher accuracy than others. Is there a website or an explanation of how final bracket predictions are scored? I do my guesses every year for fun, I'd like to see how I match up with some others and hope I'm better than Jerry Palm. Any suggestions would be great.

Bracket Matrix is the go-to collective.

Link to the rankings below -- the method of scoring is described at the bottom of the listing.

In essence, scoring is based on how many teams are correctly selected for the tournament and accuracy of seeding.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
How many games does KU have to lose before they’re not a top three seed? Just seems that everyone is going out of their way to keep KU there so they can play in Omaha. Makes me want to vomit.

Dickinson AND McCullar out for KC…so another early loss looks likely.

At some point losing games has to matter more than a couple of excellent wins in November.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

At some point losing games has to matter more than a couple of excellent wins in November.

And the opposite too.

'We'd seed you higher, Mr. Eustachy, but it says here you lost to Drake in November of last year in a game that none of us knew happened until now'.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
This team is one of the grittiest hardest working teams we've ever had at ISU and I'll believe in them until they give me reason not to and the season is done. Whether or not this team "fixes" their offense or not I know they will fight and perform well in the deciding minutes of the game. Until that's not good enough and the final second ticks off on the season I'll believe in them. They've earned that IMO.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
What will the structure be for the Big XII basketball tournament next year? 16 teams right? Do we have 1v16, 2v15, etc and need 2 facilities? Or split 1v16-4v13 on day 1, and 5v12-8v9 on day 2. Then day 3 is the results of the first and second day, giving the top four the day off if they win. But then anyone that upsets on day 1 gets an advantage of the day off.

Or do you have the lowest 8 play day 1, then have the next four with a single bye playing day 1 winners, and the top four with a double bye, playing day 2 winners like this year's tournament?

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
What will the structure be for the Big XII basketball tournament next year? 16 teams right? Do we have 1v16, 2v15, etc and need 2 facilities? Or split 1v16-4v13 on day 1, and 5v12-8v9 on day 2. Then day 3 is the results of the first and second day, giving the top four the day off if they win. But then anyone that upsets on day 1 gets an advantage of the day off.

Or do you have the lowest 8 play day 1, then have the next four with a single bye playing day 1 winners, and the top four with a double bye, playing day 2 winners like this year's tournament?
This isn't a secret.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006

This is exactly how Michigan State locked up their bid. They have been absolutely horrid in a horrible B1G & yet remain a darling of the media & basketball prognosticators.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

I haven't heard, but you have to have byes. My guess is the lowest eight will play day one, winners play seeds 5 through 8 the next day, and those winners play seeds 1 through 4 on the third day.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
This team is one of the grittiest hardest working teams we've ever had at ISU and I'll believe in them until they give me reason not to and the season is done. Whether or not this team "fixes" their offense or not I know they will fight and perform well in the deciding minutes of the game. Until that's not good enough and the final second ticks off on the season I'll believe in them. They've earned that IMO.
Hear, freaking hear! well said.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
This is exactly how Michigan State locked up their bid. They have been absolutely horrid in a horrible B1G & yet remain a darling of the media & basketball prognosticators.
But but Izzo genius!

Remember that one time they were an 7 seed and made the final four! Izzo smart much.

Reactions: kentkel

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Ride or die time.

Reactions: NorthCyd

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
In HS we'd go up Saturday mornings to state gym. On occasion we'd match up with those guys. Tracy Henderson would run with them as well.
I used to see Tracy up here in the Twin Cities every once in a while. We would stop and talk ISU sports for a few minutes. I haven't seen him in a couple of years, though.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I haven't heard, but you have to have byes. My guess is the lowest eight will play day one, winners play seeds 5 through 8 the next day, and those winners play seeds 1 through 4 on the third day.
It will change the schedule for the two tournaments though since the women's championship game is currently the same day as the first round men's games. When they have to have 4 first round games for the men the women's championship will have to be another day. That probably means the women's tournament will have to start a day earlier with the Sunday off day coming between the semi-finals and the final.