Worst city in Iowa?

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
Any town more than 20 miles from a large metro area is hurting, unless they have a progressive civic leader and banker.
A county seat town and/or a college town are. usually pretty nice places to live. Places like Gilbert and Story City are pretty nice but a lot of the focus is on the larger town where people go to work.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Waterloo is light years better than it was 15 years ago.
Maybe-left many years ago when CF was about the same size as East side of Waterloo. With all the empty buildings downtown, Crossroads a ghost town, jobs disappearing, population falling off, airport in shambles, lack of development in numerous areas of town, it's really showing that neglect. I'm glad to see they have started to invest in the schools (new high school coming, West Intermediate gone, Hoover area, etc) has been a nice boost.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I went to high school in a town of less than a thousand people, graduated with 20 kids, and the town flooded every 4 years. I personally think it's the greatest town ever and if my wife ever leaves me or dies, I'll move back there because I have such great friends there. Most people would consider it the worst place on earth.

Reactions: GoldandCardinal

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Maybe-left many years ago when CF was about the same size as East side of Waterloo. With all the empty buildings downtown, Crossroads a ghost town, jobs disappearing, population falling off, airport in shambles, lack of development in numerous areas of town, it's really showing that neglect. I'm glad to see they have started to invest in the schools (new high school coming, West Intermediate gone, Hoover area, etc) has been a nice boost.
There are 500ish brand new homes south of 20 and they're building all the time and just starting on another 200ish homes around Orange Township. Downtown is re-invigorated and full of shops, businesses, bars and restaurants. Crossroads died like all malls died.

The new high school, which they're budgeting to be more expensive than Cedar Falls and Waukee Northwest, along with the school re-organization is a game changer for the city and surrounding areas.

Is the North end still rough in places? Sure but the city has also worked hard to get that end of town a new grocery store and community center and other projects planned and coming on line.

Would have wholeheartedly agreed with you 15 years ago but two consecutive good mayors and people willing to invest has really turned things around. Get back for a weekend and you won't even recognize it.

• Agree
Reactions: NENick

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
There are 500ish brand new homes south of 20 and they're building all the time and just starting on another 200ish homes around Orange Township. Downtown is re-invigorated and full of shops, businesses, bars and restaurants. Crossroads died like all malls died.

The new high school, which they're budgeting to be more expensive than Cedar Falls and Waukee Northwest, along with the school re-organization is a game changer for the city and surrounding areas.

Is the North end still rough in places? Sure but the city has also worked hard to get that end of town a new grocery store and community center and other projects planned and coming on line.

Would have wholeheartedly agreed with you 15 years ago but two consecutive good mayors and people willing to invest has really turned things around. Get back for a weekend and you won't even recognize it.
Guess who else liked Waterloo? John Wayne Gacy, I rest my case :jimlad: kidding.
But that’s the first thing I think of when I hear Waterloo

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
I don't get how CR is on the list for Iowa, unless there's a certain population threshold to meet. For smaller cities, Council Bluffs, Waterloo, Fort Dodge, Mason City, Marshaltown, Clinton, and Ottumwa are easily worse.

Honestly the only cities/metro areas I'd live in Iowa are DM, Ames, CR, IC, Dubuque, and the Quad Cities.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
A county seat town and/or a college town are. usually pretty nice places to live. Places like Gilbert and Story City are pretty nice but a lot of the focus is on the larger town where people go to work.
Both towns are nice because of their distance to Ames and the interstate. Put either one 40/50 miles to the West and they would be dying. My daughter told us the other day that the town of Gilbert grows to either two or three times its size when school is in session. There are few if any businesses there, but they building houses left and right for the people that work in Ames, but want to send their kids to a smaller district. Our daughter lives in North part of Ames, teaches in Gilbert, drive time is 7 minutes.

Growing up in southern Iowa, it's difficult to compare a town like Centerville and Ottumwa to an Ames or Iowa City, they are what they are. Both towns are struggling with losing businesses and people. If you are used to Ames, either one would be horrible, but if you are fine with 5 to 10 places to eat at, either is ok. Cheaper housing, smaller schools, easy to get around. I would choose Centerville over Ottumwa, but I could live in the Northern part of Ottumwa, it's not bad at all.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA

If you avoid the 5 block radius around the old Rath Packing buildings Waterloo isn't too bad. Way different town than it was when we moved there just before the '08 flood. Every town of a certain size has it's problems. It's not like every small town isn't full of meth heads and burnouts, they just tend not to shoot at each other normally.

• Agree
Reactions: NENick and 1UNI2ISU

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
If you are from Fort Dodge, we wear this kind of thing with pride. It keeps out the riff-raff. Sure, Fort Dodge has its own riff-raff. But it's our riff-raff, dammit.
Well, it has it's own riff-raff, but that riff-raff is cousins with half the town, so.

The name Dirty Dodge is kinda played out. Trying to make Fart Dodge a thing. I've been here 15+ years. I gladly took the job offered here vs the one offered in Creston. I kept looking for the nice part of town. Didn't find it in Osceola either.

Last edited:
Reactions: jcyclonee

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
How do we not talk about Carter Lake? It's landlocked between a lake and an industrial park and will never grow, no downtown business district of its own, all the airport noise, and an area so undesirable that Omaha and CB both tried to force each other to claim it as their own. They are 99% on the outside of Iowa looking in.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
When I first really spent time there (2007) it was a f*cking dump. It has so much more going on now, that combined with CF I view it as a mostly good place

Reactions: NENick

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
I went to high school in a town of less than a thousand people, graduated with 20 kids, and the town flooded every 4 years. I personally think it's the greatest town ever and if my wife ever leaves me or dies, I'll move back there because I have such great friends there. Most people would consider it the worst place on earth.
Do they even have a place to plug in your EV?

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
I agree with their assessment of Bakersfield for California, although Fresno is right up there. Both are just awful.

I spent a week in Worcester, MA a while ago, for work. Stayed in what I thought was a nice enough hotel. When the office I was visiting asked me where I was staying they were like "Yikes, don't go out at night!'. I thought they were just giving me a hard time, being a hayseed from Iowa, until the boss pulled me aside later and said "Seriously, you should change hotels. They keep finding dead hookers in that one.".

And when I asked him which hotels were better, he recommended I stay out of town.

Was it an undercover sting operation?

1TwistedCyclone

Jan 16, 2024
Cedar Falls
Fort Dodge. It's just.....bleak. Just sadness. I don't know if Ottumwa and Keokuk are big enough to qualify as cities. Oelwein certainly isn't.

Anybody saying Waterloo hasn't been there in the last 10 years. Growing like crazy to the south and all the development Downtown is paying off big time. Same with Mason City, there's some really neat stuff up there and they've really embraced Meredith Wilson and The Music Man which is pretty cool. Shout out Fat Hill Brewery too.
Agree with you on Fat Hill Brewery! Mason City definitely shouldn't be considered the "worst" town in Iowa by any stretch of the imagination. I'd say that the nickname "Mason Sh***y" derives more from it historically being a God awful boring place to be for a town of 28k people. Over the last 15 years, however, they have worked tremendously hard to remedy this issue by investing in the downtown area. Now, 70's Mason, with the most strip clubs per capita in the US and Barry Alvarez winning a state championship...

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Council Bluffs for sure, It's a whole lot of stuff Omaha doesn't want.
Omaha has east of 60th, Council Bluffs has west of the Loess Hills. I don't want to live in those areas, unless its close to the river. But not the twin cities neighborhood.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
There's several sh/ties. I've heard Iowas Sh/ty, Mason Sh/ty and Rockwell Sh/ty. You can credit our friends in the east for LAmes.

On the flip side, what is a city that nobody dislikes? Maybe Decorah?
Cedar Falls is what I would consider a nice city. Especially with the new school. Also a lot of solid small towns with good school districts in the area. Parkersburg, Grundy Center, Denver, Dike-New Hartford to name a few all are nice towns for being small.

Other towns/cities that I spend some time in and enjoy for what they are: Clear Lake, Waverly (don’t care for the school district with some of their problems, but I like the town), Lansing, Decorah, Story City

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron