***Official 2024 Transfer Thread***

Oldclonee

Apr 24, 2022
Looking at his recruiting profile. His talent level is of someone we easily could of signed. If we did he'd either worked his way into a stacked rotation or probably hit the portal even though year two he'd be a likely starter. ( maybe not now after transfer season) but him being here might of affected our recruiting. I guess what I'm getting at is it worth taking bigs out of HS knowing if they don't make the rotation they're likely not staying?

Rock is an obvious exception due to his circumstance.
Sign him as a walk-on! Pay under the table............boom!

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Seems like there's a fair bit of tampering going on...

There are no rules right now, or at least no enforcement. But transfer non-tampering (via AAU coaches, handlers, etc.) has been going unchecked for at least a decade. There’s certainly circumstantial evidence that ISU participated under different regimes, and having legit agents to do the dirty work has further greased the skids. I can’t even be mad about it - why wouldn’t a player want to gauge the market before committing to the portal?

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Top ranked transfers could wait it out and drive the price up. That is what I would do. If everyone wanted me. I would just sit around and wait on bids.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Unpossible in this virtuous sport.
Just like the Knights of the Round Table.
8d58354724058b8c44a989e9948826e2b691164c.gif

• Haha
Reactions: GotHops32 and Kinch

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
While I’ll be happy to see the COVID years go, fewer players in the portal will mean higher prices.
It really won't. Basically if you aren't top 100 just play at a lower level to get on the floor and go in the portal. If they are top 100 and don't play they'll be in the portal. If you're top 100 and out play your NIL you're in the portal. On average half your roster will turnover every year. Half of that will be from the portal. This isn't going to change.

• Agree
Reactions: Kinch

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
FYI: A division 1 coach from a mid major was at the same high school track meet recently. He saw my Iowa State shirt and commented “now that’s a team that is doing it right. Let me tell you TJ is killing it in the portal. He is light years ahead of Fran.“

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
It really won't. Basically if you aren't top 100 just play at a lower level to get on the floor and go in the portal. If they are top 100 and don't play they'll be in the portal. If you're top 100 and out play your NIL you're in the portal. On average half your roster will turnover every year. Half of that will be from the portal. This isn't going to change.
And then there’s Iowa.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
FYI: A division 1 coach from a mid major was at the same high school track meet recently. He saw my Iowa State shirt and commented “now that’s a team that is doing it right. Let me tell you TJ is killing it in the portal. He is light years ahead of Fran.“
Things that didn’t happen…

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Yes and No. The problem is that Iowa State has some big disadvantages when it comes to getting the top tier guys from the Portal - especially ones that create and score, as we've seen the past few years. Our best chance to get scorers will continue to be the HS route or a tier down in college. The key though is trying to find the kids that 1 - you really feel good about, and 2 - believe that they will buy into the culture, development, etc more than just chase NIL.

I look at Milan and Tamin as great examples of this. They could get over a million to transfer but are sticking around because 1 - they've bought into the coaching staff, 2- they feel they can develop the best for an NBA career, 3 - they're culture/glue guys, and 4 - they can focus on earning the money in the NBA rather than just chasing it short-term in college at the risk of not developing.

Now, there are always going to be misses like we saw with Omaha and Hamilton, or those that decide to transfer anyways (i.e. Hunter)... but those are guys you absolutely take when the opportunity exists. The problem was everybody in the country thought the first 2 could develop into scorers to compliment other skills and neither has shown the ability to do that even in practice.

I truly believe (and know that the staff also feels) that we need to find our key pillars through HS and then supplement from a year-to-year basis via the portal (probably 3 guys, sometimes 4 depending on HS hits/misses). That's also why you see our NIL focusing heavily on retaining vs enticing. This is different than just refusing to accept the Portal - it's using a balance of the two in harmony.

7 figures for Milan and Tamin in the portal? Wowsers:eek:o_O
I didn't realize how much it can cost to put a team together.