‘23 Growing to ‘24

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Y’know, it’s fun to be excited about all of the young players that we’ll return in ‘24, but there’s really no concrete way to even vaguely project what that future team might look like.

Or…is there?

I had noticed some similarities between between Brock Purdy’s and Rocco Becht’s (to date) freshman seasons, and thought that I’d take a closer look. The similarities are obvious, the differences are apparent—and just as readily explainable. For one, Brock stepped into a situation with a much more seasoned lineup surrounding him. Rocco’s ‘23 season started out…painfully slow. For two…well, part of that “seasoned lineup” was Hakeem in complete and utter terrifying beast mode.

2018 Brock: 10 games played, 9 extensive PT:
220 Att 146 Comp 66.4% 2250 yds 26 TD’s 7 INT’s

2033 Rocco: 10 games started
285 Att 177 Comp 62.11% 2122 Yds 15 TD’s 7INT’s

Just realized that Rocco’s INT rate is actually lower.

At that point, given that I was puttering around in Cyclone stats, I went ahead and took a look at Brock’s sophomore season. You know, just so we might have some general idea of how Rocco might take a step forward next year:

2019 Brock: 13 games started
475 Att 322 Comp 65.7% 3,982 yds 27 TD’s 9 INT’s

Well. That’s a pretty darn big jump. I’m not sure we should expect 4,000 yards from Rocco, but it’s still some degree of measuring stick. Is 3,750 doable?

And while I was meandering around the stats pages, I noticed another similarity, between Jayden Higgins’ current junior season stats—and Hakeem’s junior year. Look at the yards per catch:

2017 Hakeem 41 Rec 697 Yds 17.0 YPC 7 TD’s
2018 Hakeem 60 Rec 1318 Yds 21.97 YPC 9 TD’s

2023 Jayden 35 Rec 610 Yds 17.43 YPC 4 TD’s

Now, I don’t expect Jayden to have the utterly dominant year in ‘24 that Hakeem had as a senior, but sixty-odd catches or so hardly seems beyond reason. Especially since he took a bit to kick into gear this season.

And yes, Xavier Hutchinson might have been a better match physically—but Jayden’s role is more like Hakeem’s.

As long as I was looking at the passing stats, I kept going, glancing at Deshaunte Jones’ last two seasons, versus where Jaylin Noel is right now:

2018 Deshaunte 43 Rec 386 Yds 8.51 YPC 4 TD’s
2019 Deshaunte 76 Rec 877 Yds 11.54 YPC 2 TD’s

2023 Jaylin 52 Rec 536 Yds 10.31 YPC 4 TD’s

The comparisons are inevitable, but remember that this is still only Jaylin’s junior year. And that Deshaunte took his jump in ‘19 with a sophomore Brock at QB as well. Jaylin will have a sophomore Rocco.

After that, there was just one more significant piece of the passing offense I wanted to take a peek at. Charlie Kolar’s freshman year versus how Ben Brahmer is doing right now:

2018 Charlie 11 Rec 137 Yds 12.45 YPC 3 TD’s
2019 Charlie 51 Rec 697 Yds 13.67 YPC 7TD’s

2023 Ben 21 Rec 271 Yds 12.90 YPC 2 TD’s

Don’t really need any analysis on this one. I think we’ve got something here, huh? That tight end room!

Then lastly, I thought we should take a quick look at how the current running backs currently compare with Breece’s freshman year. Yep, they’re doing “running back by committee”, but that’s because they’re all shining brightly—unlike ‘19.

2019 Breece 186 Att 897 Yds 4.8 YPC 9 TD’s
2020 Breece 279 Att 1572 Yds 5.6 YPC 21 TD’s

2023 Eli 96 Att 467 Yds 4.9 YPC 4TD’s
2023 Abu 49 Att 323 Yds 6.6 YPC 3TD’s
2023 Cartevious 64 Att 341 Yds 4.1 YPC 3 TD’s

Not going to draw any conclusions on individual, but I doubt we’re near the bottom of the conference in rushing offense next year, huh?

Oh yes…just for fun:
Eli, Abu and Cartevious totals right now:
209 Att 1131 Yds 5.4 TPC 10 TD’s

Mix all of this in with an offensive line that will return largely intact in ‘24…and I think we’re gonna have some real excitement ahead, huh?

And that doesn’t even count the defense, which is currently first in total and passing defense, fourth in scoring defense…and will return nine starters.

Oh. Plus Tyler Perkins

Go Cyclones!!!

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Y’know, it’s fun to be excited about all of the young players that we’ll return in ‘24, but there’s really no concrete way to even vaguely project what that future team might look like.

Or…is there?

I had noticed some similarities between between Brock Purdy’s and Rocco Becht’s (to date) freshman seasons, and thought that I’d take a closer look. The similarities are obvious, the differences are apparent—and just as readily explainable. For one, Brock stepped into a situation with a much more seasoned lineup surrounding him. Rocco’s ‘23 season started out…painfully slow. For two…well, part of that “seasoned lineup” was Hakeem in complete and utter terrifying beast mode.

At that point, given that I was puttering around in Cyclone stats, I went ahead and took a look at Brock’s sophomore season. You know, just so we might have some general idea of how Rocco might take a step forward next year:

Well. That’s a pretty darn big jump. I’m not sure we should expect 4,000 yards from Rocco, but it’s still some degree of measuring stick. Is 3,750 doable?

And while I was meandering around the stats pages, I noticed another similarity, between Jayden Higgins’ current junior season stats—and Hakeem’s junior year. Look at the yards per catch:

Now, I don’t expect Jayden to have the utterly dominant year in ‘24 that Hakeem had as a senior, but sixty-odd catches or so hardly seems beyond reason. Especially since he took a bit to kick into gear this season.

And yes, Xavier Hutchinson might have been a better match physically—but Jayden’s role is more like Hakeem’s.

As long as I was looking at the passing stats, I kept going, glancing at Deshaunte Jones’ last two seasons, versus where Jaylin Noel is right now:

The comparisons are inevitable, but remember that this is still only Jaylin’s junior year. And that Deshaunte took his jump in ‘19 with a sophomore Brock at QB as well. Jaylin will have a sophomore Rocco.

After that, there was just one more significant piece of the passing offense I wanted to take a peek at. Charlie Kolar’s freshman year versus how Ben Brahmer is doing right now:

Don’t really need any analysis on this one. I think we’ve got something here, huh? That tight end room!

Then lastly, I thought we should take a quick look at how the current running backs currently compare with Breece’s freshman year. Yep, they’re doing “running back by committee”, but that’s because they’re all shining brightly—unlike ‘19.

Not going to draw any conclusions on individual, but I doubt we’re near the bottom of the conference in rushing offense next year, huh?

Oh yes…just for fun:

Mix all of this in with an offensive line that will return largely intact in ‘24…and I think we’re gonna have some real excitement ahead, huh?

And that doesn’t even count the defense, which is currently first in total and passing defense, fourth in scoring defense…and will return nine starters.

Oh. Plus Tyler Perkins

Go Cyclones!!!

Pretty good assessment.

Pretty much the entire offense returns and if the OL can improve I really like what we have here. Rocco's biggest area of improvement, IMO, is hitting a lot more of those home run throws he's missed on. His line is almost always spot on but he needs to corral the overthrows. Man, I bet he's missed at least 8 easy TDs by overthrowing receivers by 3-5 yards. Again, those throws aren't usually errant (off line), they are simply too strong which I think bodes well for his ability to improve on it.

Our biggest question marks are defensively. I think we have some talent on the line and we need for that unit to grow and have at least one of the younger guys really break out next year. Losing Tampa is a BIG blow and the depth in the secondary has looked questionable. Thompson is young but he really needs to play better assuming he has a role. By far the biggest area of concern is LB. Yes we are young but be it inexperience or talent this unit is trash. This year they have struggled to make plays, struggled to cover...they've just struggled. I'd like to see Campbell hit the portal and bring in some more talent here. Between that and young guys (hopefully improving) hopefully the unit can at least be average.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Losing Tampa is a BIG blow and the depth in the secondary has looked questionable. Thompson is young but he really needs to play better assuming he has a role. By far the biggest area of concern is LB. Yes we are young but be it inexperience or talent this unit is trash. This year they have struggled to make plays, struggled to cover...they've just struggled. I'd like to see Campbell hit the portal and bring in some more talent here. Between that and young guys (hopefully improving) hopefully the unit can at least be average.

I’m assuming that Darien Porter uses his COVID year, and steps up to play reasonable similar to what TJ has done.

Williams and Crosby look promising, and another year ago of work will help.

And as far as safety depth is concerned: A. I’d like Jeremiah Cooper to put on another 10-15 pounds to withstand injury better, and B. Again, with a full offseason, I expect Jamison Payton and the other current freshmen to step it up a notch. Especially Jamo.

Six freshmen or sophomores (two true frosh) on the depth chart tells me that the linebacking crew is bound to improve with a year’s experience, just as the original post suggests that the offensive players will.

For all of your complaining about how bad the linebackers are, our worst defensive stats are that we’re fourth in the league in points scored on (by a mere point and a half), and third in rushing defense—by 35 yards. And that one when the top rushing defense (Texas) is 12th against the pass.

We’re still #1 in the conference in total defense. 28th in the country. That doesn’t happen by accident.

As far as up from, I suspect there are some young DL that will blossom and be totally nasty next year. Really excited about some of those guys!

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Pretty good assessment.

Pretty much the entire offense returns and if the OL can improve I really like what we have here.
I should add that my biggest question mark, both in the short and long term, is the offensive line. Sure, they’re playing better, but do they have what it takes to be consistently dominant?

There are some young guys on the interior I think have a chance to pair up well with Brendan Black somewhere down the line (Hasert, Buhr, Holt and maybe Gilmore), but the tackle slots aren’t as clear to me.

Guess we’ll see going forward.

ghyland7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2012
I love Rocco from a moxie and leadership perspective, and he definitely has made some great plays.

Maybe it's just rose-tinted glasses, but he doesn't seem to have as much of the "wow" factor as Purdy did when it comes to the mid-range throws. Purdy was elite, even in college, at the 15 yard out route or 20 yard seam route in terms of accuracy. Rocco seems to miss a lot more throws, even compared to freshman Brock.

I know their completion percentage is pretty close, but Brock threw downfield a LOT more and did so with consistently better accuracy than Rocco has shown us.

However, when compared to last year, it's a night and day difference in leadership and attitude on the sidelines. I think Rocco can be a really nice college QB, but I have a lot more questions about his accuracy than I did with Purdy.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I’m assuming that Darien Porter uses his COVID year, and steps up to play reasonable similar to what TJ has done.

Williams and Crosby look promising, and another year ago of work will help.

And as far as safety depth is concerned: A. I’d like Jeremiah Cooper to put on another 10-15 pounds to withstand injury better, and B. Again, with a full offseason, I expect Jamison Payton and the other current freshmen to step it up a notch. Especially Jamo.

Six freshmen or sophomores (two true frosh) on the depth chart tells me that the linebacking crew is bound to improve with a year’s experience, just as the original post suggests that the offensive players will.

For all of your complaining about how bad the linebackers are, our worst defensive stats are that we’re fourth in the league in points scored on (by a mere point and a half), and third in rushing defense—by 35 yards. And that one when the top rushing defense (Texas) is 12th against the pass.

We’re still #1 in the conference in total defense. 28th in the country. That doesn’t happen by accident.

As far as up from, I suspect there are some young DL that will blossom and be totally nasty next year. Really excited about some of those guys!

I think we've been a bit fortunate and have also played some really BAD offensive teams. Iowa (lol), Ohio, OSU (Bowman was awful that game...missed a lot of wide open receivers), BYU (no Slovis), Cinci, UNI...let's be honest, there's not a lot of offensive firepower there. I really think Texas is going to crush us with the weather being very unAmeslike for late November. We'll see.

When healthy the secondary is outstanding while the line is okay outside of generating pressure (though a 3 man front will struggle at that). I just think Heacock needs to be a little more creative and bring some packages to generate pressure. I don't think we will survive if we give Ewers all day to throw the ball. He will pick us apart.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I love Rocco from a moxie and leadership perspective, and he definitely has made some great plays.

Maybe it's just rose-tinted glasses, but he doesn't seem to have as much of the "wow" factor as Purdy did when it comes to the mid-range throws. Purdy was elite, even in college, at the 15 yard out route or 20 yard seam route in terms of accuracy. Rocco seems to miss a lot more throws, even compared to freshman Brock.

I know their completion percentage is pretty close, but Brock threw downfield a LOT more and did so with consistently better accuracy than Rocco has shown us.

However, when compared to last year, it's a night and day difference in leadership and attitude on the sidelines. I think Rocco can be a really nice college QB, but I have a lot more questions about his accuracy than I did with Purdy.

It also helped that Purdy had a guy like Butler to throw it deep to. Purdy often under threw him and Butler simply went up and hauled it down.

But yes, Purdy was defintiely better at the mid range throws than Rocco. I actually think Rocco throws a prettier deep ball, he just doesn't have the anticipation in space that Brock had (which we are seeing in force with SF this year).

Bolded part is spot on. I think Dekkers was often put in a position to fail, and understand being frustrated, but the times he would simply leave the pocket and mentally give up grew old. I bet he took 8-10 sacks from simply running out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage instead of throwing the ball away. Nothing screams lack of focus or quitting more than that. And he did that stuff routinely.

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016

Or…is there?

Oh yes…just for fun:

Oh. Plus Tyler Perkins

Go Cyclones!!!
You might wait and see who is going to be on the roster next year. All of you that thought pay for play was wonderful should be ponying up to keep players. Don't count on the the boomers you always complain about.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
throw all of that in with a somewhat manageable Big 12 schedule (especially home)

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
All of this of course is NIL dependent. Teams like ISU are now the minor leagues for the elite programs.

Guys that are blossoming into stars are going to be offered a lot of $$ to transfer.

It will always be interesting every year now on who we can keep and who bolts for greener pastures (green as in dollars in this case).

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
Our biggest question marks are defensively.
How? We are YOUNGER on defense than offense. We are top 30 in offense.

For everything good we have done, I have FAR more concerns about the offense than the defense even next year.
We have not scored or ran on anyone good other than Oklahoma all year and even there, we had a pick 6 and disappeared for a long time offensively.

We need to get more TFL's and sacks, yes. And yes, losing Tampa is huge.

But while we have pieces on offense, we have way more questions on offense.

1) Do we have a guy step up to be a primary ball carrier?
2) Does the offensive line continue to gel and get better?
3) Does Rocco take a next step and also try to continue taking care of the ball?
4) Does Ben become a better blocker to become that complete TE?
5) Do we continue evolve play calling wise or do we return to being conservative?
6) Does the QB run come back into the offense more regularly since that has always helped the offense

Defensively its

1) How do we replace Tampa
2) How do we get more pressure and TFLS
3) Depth

Reactions: Letterkenny

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
It would be promising if they cold ever get NIL/transfer rules figured out. For example, if someone transfers for higher NIL $, 20% of that delta is paid back to the original team as a finder's fee to cover recruiting expenses. Or 12 month wait period before they get an NIL increase. Or limit of 2 portal transfers per player per 4 years. Or maybe 25% of media revenue goes automatically to the players, and NIL is eliminated. The blue blood teams have way too much power in facilities, recruiting, NIL, coaching salaries, markets, merchandising, etc... Anything is better than the wild west, rich get richer system we have today.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006

Or…is there?

Oh yes…just for fun:

Oh. Plus Tyler Perkins

Go Cyclones!!!
Edit-excellent stuff! However, Butler was NOT here for his senior year. He came out early. Had he stayed for 2019, I think we win a few more games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Letterkenny

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa

Or…is there?

Oh yes…just for fun:

Oh. Plus Tyler Perkins

Go Cyclones!!!
If Tom Manning is coming back, we're screwed, Fortunately, we have Scheelhaase..

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Pretty good assessment.

Pretty much the entire offense returns and if the OL can improve I really like what we have here. Rocco's biggest area of improvement, IMO, is hitting a lot more of those home run throws he's missed on. His line is almost always spot on but he needs to corral the overthrows. Man, I bet he's missed at least 8 easy TDs by overthrowing receivers by 3-5 yards. Again, those throws aren't usually errant (off line), they are simply too strong which I think bodes well for his ability to improve on it.

Our biggest question marks are defensively. I think we have some talent on the line and we need for that unit to grow and have at least one of the younger guys really break out next year. Losing Tampa is a BIG blow and the depth in the secondary has looked questionable. Thompson is young but he really needs to play better assuming he has a role. By far the biggest area of concern is LB. Yes we are young but be it inexperience or talent this unit is trash. This year they have struggled to make plays, struggled to cover...they've just struggled. I'd like to see Campbell hit the portal and bring in some more talent here. Between that and young guys (hopefully improving) hopefully the unit can at least be average.

Jfc the linebackers are young. To call them trash is more about you being a loser than them

mark82

Jun 19, 2006
Pretty good assessment.

Our biggest question marks are defensively. I think we have some talent on the line and we need for that unit to grow and have at least one of the younger guys really break out next year. Losing Tampa is a BIG blow and the depth in the secondary has looked questionable. Thompson is young but he really needs to play better assuming he has a role. By far the biggest area of concern is LB. Yes we are young but be it inexperience or talent this unit is trash. This year they have struggled to make plays, struggled to cover...they've just struggled. I'd like to see Campbell hit the portal and bring in some more talent here. Between that and young guys (hopefully improving) hopefully the unit can at least be avera
Pretty good assessment.

In '24 we also need a Contreras II. Field goals are such a big part of our game.

Reactions: ZRF

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
It's just really hard to do these future projections with the current nil/transfer rules. Places where you think you'll have depth may be thinned and/or places where you think you're weak may be filled.

Help Support Us

Become a patron