‘23 Growing to ‘24

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
The future is bright right now. On offense seniors are Dean, Stanley, Hufford and Simmons at LG and Trieber. Defense Vaughn and Tampa who probably does not use his Covid year and Porter and that is pretty much it on the 2 deep for seniors. I don't know how many have a covid year left but even if all are done the only starting holes we have without any transfer portal losses is LG, 1 of 3 TE, 1 WR, 1 LB, 2 CB and Kicker with Conteraz. TE with Brahmer is in good shape, LG is the biggest hole to fill on the OL and Tampa will be the biggest loss on defense.

That's not a huge shopping list and I am not up to date on what the incoming freshman class has. Making a bowl game with this young roster should help in the portal hopefully. Can focus on the spots with an immediate need and continue to develop the talent we already have.

Reactions: LincolnSwinger

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
It's just really hard to do these future projections with the current nil/transfer rules. Places where you think you'll have depth may be thinned and/or places where you think you're weak may be filled.

That's true. But that's also true with injuries. About the best you can do is make assumptions off the current roster, basically saying everyone with eligibility will be back, no one will be injured, and there will be no significant transfers out/in or additions.

Even if you know that won't be the case that's all you can do as you can't predict the who or how many.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Jfc the linebackers are young. To call them trash is more about you being a loser than them

Can you even read?

I know they are young but whether it's youth, talent, or a combination of the two it is (easily) the weakest unit on the entire team. Do you walk through life constantly trying to be offended an crying about it? That's about all you do on here.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Can you even read?

I know they are young but whether it's youth, talent, or a combination of the two it is (easily) the weakest unit on the entire team. Do you walk through life constantly trying to be offended an crying about it? That's about all you do on here.

Nah you are a loser im not offended

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Jfc the linebackers are young. To call them trash is more about you being a loser than them
The LBs are not trash. They are the weakness of the defense, but it’s a really good defense. They are young and getting better.

Take out the pick 6s and the defense is not giving up many point. Any league other than the Big 10 West if your D gives up 20 or fewer points they’ve done the job.

With that said, Texas presents a huge challenge. The defense gave Ewers lots of problems last year, but the second time seeing the D he’s going to be better. Really wish he was still out, or that this was his first game back.

Getting Cooper back will be huge. Hopefully he is good to go.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
The future is bright right now. On offense seniors are Dean, Stanley, Hufford and Simmons at LG and Trieber. Defense Vaughn and Tampa who probably does not use his Covid year and Porter and that is pretty much it on the 2 deep for seniors. I don't know how many have a covid year left but even if all are done the only starting holes we have without any transfer portal losses is LG, 1 of 3 TE, 1 WR, 1 LB, 2 CB and Kicker with Conteraz. TE with Brahmer is in good shape, LG is the biggest hole to fill on the OL and Tampa will be the biggest loss on defense.

That's not a huge shopping list and I am not up to date on what the incoming freshman class has. Making a bowl game with this young roster should help in the portal hopefully. Can focus on the spots with an immediate need and continue to develop the talent we already have.
And this why We Will focuses on retention. Campbells strength is finding under the radar guys that turn into studs. There’s a lot more value in retaining guys they develop vs trying to compete with other schools to bring transfers in. Let everybody else spend their money on bidding wars in the portal. Throw all of We Will at retaining guys.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
I’m not convinced the NIL is as relevant in football as it is in basketball when enticing players to transfer from places that have the upside that ISU has when looking at the potential for the next few years. Keep in mind these higher recruited players already went thru the NIL when leaving HS. CMC recruits players that he identifies as long term commitments. It really helps that ISU has developed players that are now doing well in the NFL with Lazard who turned down Notre Dame as the only one who was highly sought. JJ Kohl will be interesting as he clearly is not ready for the speed of the game but has 5 star talent. I expect him to push Rocco next year as Rocco’s position as QB1 is based on his ability to process and lack of turnovers and accuracy, not his arm strength.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
The better exercise would be who to prioritize with our NIL money. Because the departing seniors are the starting point of attrition, not the end point.

Here’s my ordered list (of potential threats, some players won’t get NIL offers) of players likelihood of big NIL deals and who we have to try like hell to keep

1.) Jeremiah Cooper
2.) Ben Brahmer
3.) Malik Verdon
4.) Dominique Orange
5.) Beau Freyler
6.) Myles Purchase
7.) Jaylin Noel
8.) Brendan Black
9.) Abu Sama
10.) Rocco Becht -I’ll be more concerned if he blossoms next year or as a junior
11.) Will McLaughlin

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
How? We are YOUNGER on defense than offense. We are top 30 in offense.

For everything good we have done, I have FAR more concerns about the offense than the defense even next year.
We have not scored or ran on anyone good other than Oklahoma all year and even there, we had a pick 6 and disappeared for a long time offensively.

We need to get more TFL's and sacks, yes. And yes, losing Tampa is huge.

But while we have pieces on offense, we have way more questions on offense.

1) Do we have a guy step up to be a primary ball carrier?
2) Does the offensive line continue to gel and get better?
3) Does Rocco take a next step and also try to continue taking care of the ball?
4) Does Ben become a better blocker to become that complete TE?
5) Do we continue evolve play calling wise or do we return to being conservative?
6) Does the QB run come back into the offense more regularly since that has always helped the offense

Defensively its

1) How do we replace Tampa
2) How do we get more pressure and TFLS
3) Depth

It's pretty easy to see how.

First of all I already mentioned the OL question and stressed the (if), so there is no need to mention it again here (as in I agree). On defense we lose our best cover corner, likely our best cornerback ever, which will be a big blow. While on the surface our defensive metrics look strong we have played, if we are being honest, the worst collection of offenses (scheduling) in a long time. Of the two legit offenses we HAVE played OU demolished us while we faired well (especially against the run which some what surprised me) against KU. I think there is some promise on the line, and Cooper (hopefully someone doesn't swoop in with a bag of cash) will be back, but I think there are questions all over the place. Especially at LB.

On the offensive side the line (as it always is) is a question mark but there is a lot more impact returning on that side of the ball. Your number 1 is a complete non-factor as RB will easily be the deepest position on the team next year. We have talent, speed, and depth there. While we don't know what will happen with Rocco he was a RS freshman, behind a POS line, who found out he was starting relatively late in the game. He throws a nice ball, shows leadership, and has talent. He's definitely shown more promise, and more reason for optimism than anyone returning on the defensive side (not named Cooper). Brahmer is an emerging target while Higgins continues to impress. Noel is finally having a breakout year. Simply put we have a lot of promise...AND stats, returning on that side. There is every reason to be more optimistic about this unit, especially in a relative comparison.

You also leave out a lot on the defensive side. Even for a 3 man front our pressure is terrible. Where will that come from? Will our young LBs make a significant step after being the weakest unit on the team? Will Heacock finally follow up and get more aggressive with his playcalling? How will we replace Tampa? As you mention we need depth, at every position accept (maybe) line. Will Campbell hit the portal to try to find at least one impact player (LB hopefully)? Will our defensive metrics drop off with (likely) playing stronger QBs and offenses next year? Can the defense avoid giving up the big play and or backbreaking 3rd downs against Iowa?

There is no doubt the offensive line is a huge concern but we return a LOT of production (and talent) on offense. I think we've got some DL that can take the next step but other than Cooper who are the impact players? Rocco, Sama, Norton, Sanders, Higgins, Brahmer, and Noel have all had pretty good years and return. It's easy to see the promise there even if we have questions up front. I think we have a lot more questions defensively, where we arguably lose the best player on the team.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I love Rocco from a moxie and leadership perspective, and he definitely has made some great plays.

Maybe it's just rose-tinted glasses, but he doesn't seem to have as much of the "wow" factor as Purdy did when it comes to the mid-range throws. Purdy was elite, even in college, at the 15 yard out route or 20 yard seam route in terms of accuracy. Rocco seems to miss a lot more throws, even compared to freshman Brock.

I know their completion percentage is pretty close, but Brock threw downfield a LOT more and did so with consistently better accuracy than Rocco has shown us.

However, when compared to last year, it's a night and day difference in leadership and attitude on the sidelines. I think Rocco can be a really nice college QB, but I have a lot more questions about his accuracy than I did with Purdy.
Purdy's a bit of a unicorn though, so I'd say if we're comparing a redshirt freshman QB to him, Rocco is doing something right. He doesn't need to be Brock to be outstanding.

Reactions: LincolnSwinger

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
The LBs are not trash. They are the weakness of the defense, but it’s a really good defense. They are young and getting better.

Take out the pick 6s and the defense is not giving up many point. Any league other than the Big 10 West if your D gives up 20 or fewer points they’ve done the job.

With that said, Texas presents a huge challenge. The defense gave Ewers lots of problems last year, but the second time seeing the D he’s going to be better. Really wish he was still out, or that this was his first game back.

Getting Cooper back will be huge. Hopefully he is good to go.

Part of that is the competitoin and the circumstances faced in the individual games. Ohio is 98th, UNI is UNI, Iowa is Iowa, Bowman was terrible and missed a lot of open throws, KU played it's backup QB, BYU stinks and played it's backup QB, Cinci stinks, etc. I'd probably rate our best defensive performance as stopping the run against Kansas. I actually thought they were going to run the ball successfully and we totally shut that down.

Historically we seem to struggle (the most) against good QBs when we give them time. This year we've played one legit throwing QB and got torched (Gabriel and OU). Getting Cooper back IS huge as it gives us one of our best playmakers back AND takes Thompson (who's struggled) out of the lineup. Major win there.

I'm just really disappointed in Heacock after the offseason talk and how we played UNI. We were much more aggressive there and have basically abondoned that sort of playcalling since. Intuition tells me we will need it in a big way this weekend.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I’m not convinced the NIL is as relevant in football as it is in basketball when enticing players to transfer from places that have the upside that ISU has when looking at the potential for the next few years. Keep in mind these higher recruited players already went thru the NIL when leaving HS. CMC recruits players that he identifies as long term commitments. It really helps that ISU has developed players that are now doing well in the NFL with Lazard who turned down Notre Dame as the only one who was highly sought. JJ Kohl will be interesting as he clearly is not ready for the speed of the game but has 5 star talent. I expect him to push Rocco next year as Rocco’s position as QB1 is based on his ability to process and lack of turnovers and accuracy, not his arm strength.

Probably as there is already some precident, notably with Isheem. Though it probably helps our coaches as they can say "look how well that worked for him".

The more success we have as a program and the more success our guys have in the NFL the easier it will be to retain players. We likely can't stop it if the short term monetary gain (Young and Tyrese Hunter for example) is the goal, but we can if their aspirations go beyond that. Giving up playing time in a system you've thrived in is a risky career move. Young found that out in a hurry.

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
There is no doubt the offensive line is a huge concern but we return a LOT of production (and talent) on offense. I think we've got some DL that can take the next step but other than Cooper who are the impact players? Rocco, Sama, Norton, Sanders, Higgins, Brahmer, and Noel have all had pretty good years and return. It's easy to see the promise there even if we have questions up front. I think we have a lot more questions defensively, where we arguably lose the best player on the team.
Production? Against whom? I like the potential of the offense but name me a defense with a WORKING PULSE that we've scored against.

Cincinnati - Nope
Baylor - hell no
Oklahoma State - nope
BYU - hell no

You talk about the defense not playing great offenses, the same is true for the offense. When we play a above average defense, we don't do that great. We struggled vs Kansas. Not exactly a defensive elite unit. Heck, we scored 23 points against UNI offensively and some of that was set up on a short field and a pick 6.

We have a bright future on paper on offense but we are NOT at this present time a good offensive team nor are we super close to being one. There is a ton of growing and development we need to take offensively. Everywhere.

Am I excited by the potential on offense? yes. But this idea that somehow the defense has more issues, more concerns, more problems... is so detached from the reality of this season and what is going on. We are top 30 defense. Who is going to at most lose TWO starters barring NIL and transfers.

We are 116th in the Nation in 1st downs on offense. We are dead last in the conference in 1st downs.
We are 72nd in 3rd down %.
76th in scoring offense.
We're 76th in passing offense.
We're 96th in rushing offense.

There is simply NO STAT that backs up the idea that the offense is performing at a higher level than the defense No evidence. This is not meant to be a bashing of the offense but it drives me insane this notion that we are lead by the offense or that the offense some how has performed better than the defense.

Yes, the offense is young. The defense is YOUNGER.
Yes, the offense is inexperienced. The defense is MORE inexperienced.

Who has had the biggest injury concerns? The defense (Vaughn, Verdon, Cooper).

So no. There is no reality where the weaker unit who replaces MORE starters and contributors this season players than the stronger unit has less questions moving forward.

I get it. Rocco and Crew look to have a bright future and there is a lot a lot to like there.
But there is no evidence, stats or anything to support the idea that the offense has surpassed the defense.

We've allowed 28 points or more twice defensively. And actually, just once as 7 against Kansas were a pick 6.

This has happened in a year where we replaced essentially our entire sack production from a year ago and have brand new line backer core. And the defense is still TOP 30-50. And people want to crap on it. Because why, we don't sack the QB enough? That is literally the only thing the defense DOESN'T do well. Everything else its top half to top 3rd of the nation while being, again , younger than the offense.

But the offense, which has yet to demonstrate it can do anything at that level, is ready to go and is more established than a defense which should, on paper, return 9 starters from a top 30-50 defense. OK. Sure.

• Winner
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
TO
Purchase
Verdon
Freyler
Orange I think after another season of Growth
Cooper

I like our young LB's growing up but they need more growth there, no doubt.
And our pass rush needs to get better. But we've got difference makers on defense.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
The better exercise would be who to prioritize with our NIL money. Because the departing seniors are the starting point of attrition, not the end point.

Here’s my ordered list (of potential threats, some players won’t get NIL offers) of players likelihood of big NIL deals and who we have to try like hell to keep

1.) Jeremiah Cooper
2.) Ben Brahmer
3.) Malik Verdon
4.) Dominique Orange
5.) Beau Freyler
6.) Myles Purchase
7.) Jaylin Noel
8.) Brendan Black
9.) Abu Sama
10.) Rocco Becht -I’ll be more concerned if he blossoms next year or as a junior
11.) Will McLaughlin

Good list. Here's my order of concern:

Malik Verdon
Benjamin Brahmer
Domonique Orange
Tyler Onyedim
Jeremiah Cooper (I think he's a bit undersized otherwise he'd be more highly sought after)
Rocco Becht
Beau Fryler
Abu Sama
Jaylin Noel

^Those are guys that may have some suitors in the off season. I'm not too worried about losing starters along the offensive line or in the linebacking corps. Per usual, we'll probably lose some WRs & RBs looking for more playing time. JJ Kohl leaving wouldn't shock me either.

• Sad
Reactions: nrg4isu

nrg4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
Good list. Here's my order of concern:

Malik Verdon
Benjamin Brahmer
Domonique Orange
Tyler Onyedim
Jeremiah Cooper (I think he's a bit undersized otherwise he'd be more highly sought after)
Rocco Becht
Beau Fryler
Abu Sama
Jaylin Noel

^Those are guys that may have some suitors in the off season. I'm not too worried about losing starters along the offensive line or in the linebacking corps. Per usual, we'll probably lose some WRs & RBs looking for more playing time. JJ Kohl leaving wouldn't shock me either.

Here's my hope.

Look at who HAS transferred and had success at a high level. That list is pretty small. Additionally, those that have transferred and had MORE playing time are typically those who aren't seeing playing time at ISU.

My biggest worries are:
Benjamin Brahmer
Domonique Orange
Abu Sama

But I feel like the most likely guys to transfer are studs that are stuck behind even better players. If that kid feels like they're not going to see the field then I can't blame them to look around.

Tyler Moore
Andrew Keller
Greg Gaines
Jason Essex
Quaron Adams
and yes, JJ Kohl

With Kohl, hopefully we're fine because he's a local/legacy guy.

The defensive guys are a lot more difficult for me to guess because 1) they rotate so many guys and 2) it's harder for me to see who other teams grade out as being studs

Reactions: SolterraCyclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron