“Frick” Santa Claus

AppleCornCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2020
I can’t be the only one who feels this way. I feel like we lie to our kids about Santa for no good reason. Why do we need to invent for kids a magical figure who watches their every move all year long and brings them presents on Christmas? Why can’t we as parents just take credit for the gifts we bought? Why not make the Christmas present tradition be about the spirit of giving?

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I can’t be the only one who feels this way. I feel like we lie to our kids about Santa for no good reason. Why do we need to invent for kids a magical figure who watches their every move all year long and brings them presents on Christmas? Why can’t we as parents just take credit for the gifts we bought? Why not make the Christmas present tradition be about the spirit of giving?

Grinch. The whole idea is to make things magical for kids. If you can't see that, then, well ... GRINCH!

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

I think you may have gotten the eggnog to brandy ratio reversed today.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012

I mostly agree with this and that’s what we do with our kids but I try to remind them though that some kids still believe in Santa so don’t ruin it for them. Parents who get mad at other parents for differences in handling Santa, the Easter Bunny, tooth fairy etc has always been something I don’t understand.

AppleCornCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2020
Grinch. The whole idea is to make things magical for kids. If you can't see that, then, well ... GRINCH!
I think the biggest deal for kids is getting the presents, regardless of where they came from. What does the “magic” of Santa really add? Something that you have to admit later that you lied about? A reason for kids from less well-off families to wonder why Santa didn’t bring them as much stuff as he brought their friends?

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
We don't lie about Santa. Life is hard/confusing enough already without constructing a false story that undermines their trust.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I’m going to guess if a kid has serious issues with being lied to about Santa they were probably already broken. It’s just a dumb tradition. Do it if you want or don’t. But I promise you, your kids are going to get over it either way, that is if it affects them at all.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I've actually developed a lack of need for presents among adults anyway.

'Here: have some clutter or something you wanted 5 months ago that we could have just gotten then'.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
No Santa, no Easter bunny, no tooth fairy, on and on??? Sounds pretty dull.

We had a few Johava's witnesses in our community and in high school one went rogue.

Came back from winter break: 'I came downstairs on Xmas morning: no tree, presents, nothing!'

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
We don't lie about Santa. Life is hard/confusing enough already without constructing a false story that undermines their trust.

yeah I dunno. The reality of Santa didn’t give me trust problems. Crappy people I’ve associated with over the years have made that shaky. Santa was a fun tradition as a kid. I loved when my kids got pumped about Christmas morning too. Now that they’ve outgrown it mostly, it makes me a little sad but like you said, I get some credit now!

Reactions: cyclone1975

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Kids don't listen to parents. They may be more fearful of Santa.
Although we give kids the nicest gift. They need to know that.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

Help Support Us

Become a patron