$1 Pint night

geburgess

Jan 19, 2010
WDM, IA
Seeing as I just got back from said title at Welch Ave. Station, I was just wondering who else was there/what other drink specials people hit up in Ames during the week.

Also, if any alumni of ISU want to chip in with what drink specials were back in the day, that'd be cool too.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
When I've had Olde Main beer at other establishments, it hasn't been nearly as good as at Olde Main itself.

geburgess

Jan 19, 2010
WDM, IA
When I've had Olde Main beer at other establishments, it hasn't been nearly as good as at Olde Main itself.

Hmm strange, I've never noticed the difference at Station compared to Olde Main... Although after #7 or so, the ability to taste efficiently starts to leave the body.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Hmm strange, I've never noticed the difference at Station compared to Olde Main... Although after #7 or so, the ability to taste efficiently starts to leave the body.

Maybe it's changed. I had Olde Main beer a couple times at Corner Pocket a couple years ago, and it was just awful. I haven't tried it at any other places because I figured it would blow. And I love Olde Main beer.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I had Olde Main in Des Moines (El Bait Shop) last week and it was right on the money. Usually younger breweries have consistency issues early on. I haven't had a pint or bottle of Olde Main that was "off" for about 1.5-2 years.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
Also, if any alumni of ISU want to chip in with what drink specials were back in the day, that'd be cool too.

Wed night = mug night at Dean's List (Where everyone can be a scholar!)

Thurs night = Drinkin' with Lincoln at Tazzles ($5 cover, free drinks all night)

Fri night = penny pitchers at The Zone on Main St. from 7-10, then Tazzles for any silver coin buys you a drink (or maybe that was Sat? it's been a long time)

I don't even know what these bars are named these days, last I knew DL is Big Shots, Tazzles is now Sips, and The Zone is ???

Reactions: Broodwich

ddisu

Nov 11, 2009
Toledo
Mon--$2 something at Peoples
Tue--Lost and Found Lounge
Wed--Sips $1 mugs of beer $2.50 captin/coke
Thurs--5fers at Mojazz, then to Sips
Fri--FAC at Peoples of course, Lumpys $.25 draws
Sat--didn't matter

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
Wed night = mug night at Dean's List (Where everyone can be a scholar!)

Thurs night = Drinkin' with Lincoln at Tazzles ($5 cover, free drinks all night)

Fri night = penny pitchers at The Zone on Main St. from 7-10, then Tazzles for any silver coin buys you a drink (or maybe that was Sat? it's been a long time)

I don't even know what these bars are named these days, last I knew DL is Big Shots, Tazzles is now Sips, and The Zone is ???

The Zone is DG's Taphouse now, which is actually a great bar.

When I was an undergrad we did:

Thursday-Free Papa John's Pizza at Mickey's followed by $4.25 pitchers at WAS ($3.75 pitchers of PBR!!)
Friday-Lumpy's quarter draws til midnight OR The Zone Penny Pitchers till 10pm

Nowadays:

Wednesday - I like Pint Night at OMBC or 32oz pitchers of New Belgium beers for 6.00 at Cafe B.
Thursday - Drink alone in front of TV while wife looks on disapprovingly
Friday - Whatever is on "Clearance" at DG's followed by Karaoke at the Fox!

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Any silver coin, any drink (beer or well drinks) was the best special back in the day (18yrs ago).

99 cent pitchers was a good one as well

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Maybe it's changed. I had Olde Main beer a couple times at Corner Pocket a couple years ago, and it was just awful. I haven't tried it at any other places because I figured it would blow. And I love Olde Main beer.

You aren't the only one. I still try and have one there every now and then and still dislike it.
It also doesn't sit well with me the next morning....

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I had Olde Main in Des Moines (El Bait Shop) last week and it was right on the money. Usually younger breweries have consistency issues early on. I haven't had a pint or bottle of Olde Main that was "off" for about 1.5-2 years.

Youve gotten incredibly lucky then. I think they have their Dinkey Wheat down to a science, but of the other ones that I have tried multiple times, its most definitely hit or miss.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Youve gotten incredibly lucky then. I think they have their Dinkey Wheat down to a science, but of the other ones that I have tried multiple times, its most definitely hit or miss.

The Clone Ale is always good. Sometimes batches are a little different, but rarely bad.

I don't like Longface Amber at all. But then again, I really don't like Amber ales in general. Just not one of my favorite kinds of beer.

nwiafan

Dec 22, 2008
Hawarden
I second mug night at Dean's List. I still have two of my mugs from back in the day with the fake ID, oh did I say that... :wideeyed:I crack out the DL mugs everyonce in awhile for nostalgia.

Original EsTas used to have 40's for like two bucks and that was sweet (my wife and I shared our first kiss at EsTas after a couple of 40's and pitchers of wells).:cool: