10 Best Breweries in Iowa 2018

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Listen here buddy boy, if we are talking worst breweries in the State, Olde Main needs to be mentioned.
That place is hot garbage.

Yeah, Backpocket is nowhere close to the worst in the state. Not quite Top 10, but they make consistently good and occasionally great beer.

• Agree
Reactions: bawbie

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I think Millstream Brewing or Kalona Brewing are my worst. I've had to drain pour 2 different six packs from Millstream. Nasty.

• Disagree
Reactions: mplueg

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
I find Confluence is the best place in DSM to take non craft beer drinkers. They have something for everyone to try. I took 3 people from Kansas there the Friday night before the KSU game and they loved it.

We then went to the Bait Shop and I think they got overwhelmed by the number of beers and prices of them..

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Olde Main is bad. There was one in Okoboji that was terrible, opened prior to West O. Okoboji Brewing, I think. No clue if they are still there or not. Second State in Cedar Falls was pretty blah in my only visit. CabCO beer has never impressed me much either.

Most bad breweries fail pretty quickly these days, so (with a couple notable exceptions) there aren’t that many going at a given time in Iowa. Seems that the ones that suck die before I get around to trying it.

Herkster

Feb 12, 2016
SingleSpeed not being in the top 10 is outrageous.
Lake Time hasn't lived up to it's hype to me - their Collab brew with Lark was solid, but I don't seek out any beer they make.
TG is TG, eh.
Never had Pulpit yet, which saddens me.
West O is usually really good, but probably not top 10 worthy
And I'm never in the DSM metro, and rarely does a Confluence beer hit shelves in our area, but the little I've had from them has been excellent.
Big Grove has good stuff too, at least they did last time I visited the brewery.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Yup. I like Exile for the most part, but 21 has been blowing them from the get go, and their improvements have been fairly recent
Yeah I like them too, and I think when it comes to a food quality+beer quality, they are doing really well. But to say its the best BY FAR is a little ridiculous.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
I wouldn’t say Exile is the best by far either but anyone saying they don’t belong on the list haven’t been to Exile lately. Haze of Sirens, Lord Falcon, Bob Crush, Elephant Mob are all solid.

Reactions: capitalcityguy

Brentwood

Jun 25, 2008
Altoona
Olde Main is bad. There was one in Okoboji that was terrible, opened prior to West O. Okoboji Brewing, I think. No clue if they are still there or not. Second State in Cedar Falls was pretty blah in my only visit. CabCO beer has never impressed me much either.

Most bad breweries fail pretty quickly these days, so (with a couple notable exceptions) there aren’t that many going at a given time in Iowa. Seems that the ones that suck die before I get around to trying it.

I used to be a Cabco Mug Clubber for several years. I gave it up because their beer got very boring. They do have a new brewer and I haven't gone out of my way to drink their beer, but it seems like they are getting better.

I am not a fan of Reclaimed Rails. Their beer is very blah and similar tasting.

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
Edited my post, just after you replied. Psuedo Sue comes to mind as a flagship hoppy beer that like. If your flagship is an IPA, you're probably lower on my list. Pulpit was great, but they didn't seem to have flagships, just constantly changing list of experimental beers. I was only there once.

Dorothy's Lager is a flagship beer and it's a lager. TG has about 5 beers that are always on tap.

Pseudo Sue
Golden Nugget
Dorothy's
Pompeii
Rover Truck

JeanValette

Feb 15, 2016
Minnesota
I sure do miss breweries like Alluvial when I lived in Ames. Olde Main and Torrent were stinkers though.

The closest one to me now is Mankato Brewery, which I'm pretty sure just gets skunked stuff from New Ulm and re-bottles it. Or maybe they just throw in some Japanese beetles and ladybugs when their hops are added. I don't know.

• Disagree
Reactions: Penguin

dtISU

Nov 17, 2010
A suburb of Ames

Can't believe Olde Main is still open. Never could find a beer that was drinkable in there.
Barntown has some damn fine brews. Really liked their coffee stout.

The wife and I enjoy spending an afternoon at Iowa Taproom and sampling a few offerings from around the state.

I've mentioned it before, but Boone Valley Brewery just keeps getting better. They've got their vanilla bourbon imperial porter on tap right now. Nectar of the gods.

FatNTired

Jun 3, 2015
I sure do miss breweries like Alluvial when I lived in Ames. Olde Main and Torrent were stinkers though.

The closest one to me now is Mankato Brewery, which I'm pretty sure just gets skunked stuff from New Ulm and re-bottles it. Or maybe they just throw in some Japanese beetles and ladybugs when their hops are added. I don't know.

Mankato Brewery is really bad. Mad Butcher IPA is drinkable but there's not much to it. I have not heard anything about LocAle Brewery.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron