10 Best Breweries in Iowa 2018

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I used to be a Cabco Mug Clubber for several years. I gave it up because their beer got very boring. They do have a new brewer and I haven't gone out of my way to drink their beer, but it seems like they are getting better.

I am not a fan of Reclaimed Rails. Their beer is very blah and similar tasting.

I went to RR once around when they opened and they were decent and had potential. Went back this summer and found there had been zero improvement or development and the focus seemed to not be much on beer. They had foo foo coffee drink makers and the staff seemed to know **** about beer.

Lack of competition is the only thing sustaining them, IMO.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
I sure do miss breweries like Alluvial when I lived in Ames. Olde Main and Torrent were stinkers though.

The closest one to me now is Mankato Brewery, which I'm pretty sure just gets skunked stuff from New Ulm and re-bottles it. Or maybe they just throw in some Japanese beetles and ladybugs when their hops are added. I don't know.

What?!?! Torrent makes some great beer. Not all are winners, but to even put them in the same sentence as Olde Main is grounds for the pit of misery.

JeanValette

Feb 15, 2016
Minnesota
What?!?! Torrent makes some great beer. Not all our winners, but to even put them in the same sentence as Olde Main is grounds for the pit of misery.
Hmm, perhaps I was wrong. I'm still not a fan of Torrent, but you are right, Olde Main is much worse.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I sure do miss breweries like Alluvial when I lived in Ames. Olde Main and Torrent were stinkers though.

The closest one to me now is Mankato Brewery, which I'm pretty sure just gets skunked stuff from New Ulm and re-bottles it. Or maybe they just throw in some Japanese beetles and ladybugs when their hops are added. I don't know.

Torrent has gotten pretty good since my first visit. I stopped there last February and had 5-6 beers I really enjoyed. They are WAY better than Olde Main. Might not be on par with Alluvial, but few are.

Reactions: JeanValette

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
For the most part, unless you know them personally, everyone agrees Olde Main is garbage.
For the life of me, I can't understand how they stay open or them spending a boatload of money to build a new rooftop patio there.

• Winner
Reactions: cyfan964

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
For the most part, unless you know them personally, everyone agrees Olde Main is garbage.
For the life of me, I can't understand how they stay open or them spending a boatload of money to build a new rooftop patio there.

Their food is okay. I think it’s a popular place for Ames business to take clients or customes.

• Winner
Reactions: Al_4_State

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Olde Main has to be getting by on general atmosphere, location, and being treated as a bar/restaurant. I don't mind the food, and it never seems dead when I've been in.

The beer has actually gotten worse over time, IMO, and I just don't get the impression that they care. If you look at their social media, it's obvious they just aren't that focused on it.

• Agree
Reactions: dtISU

Penguin

Aug 13, 2017
Ames
I thought I heard Olde Main was being sold... but now it's building a rooftop patio?

Their beer is horrible. I couldn't even bring myself to get their $5 growlers when they used to offer that deal on Thursday's.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
If you aren't that big into craft beer, there are usually a couple of Olde Main beers that are passable. Dinkey tastes like Blue Moon, and their stouts don't taste "off". There are enough people that are satisfied with getting that little out of their beer, and they like the atmosphere.

They're the NIckleback of Iowa beer.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Does Old Maine still package their beers? Seems like just a few years ago you would find 6-packs of it on the shelves in the metro. That's back when the beer was just 'okay.'

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Does Old Maine still package their beers? Seems like just a few years ago you would find 6-packs of it on the shelves in the metro. That's back when the beer was just 'okay.'

No clue. There was a time (before Iowa had the great local breweries and influx of out-of-state craft beer we have now) when they probably sold well, but I just can't them moving the needle these days.

mplueg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 27, 2009
I think Millstream Brewing or Kalona Brewing are my worst. I've had to drain pour 2 different six packs from Millstream. Nasty.

I actually really like the beers from Kalona Brewing Company