110% Because of Terrible Scheme + Terrible QB's

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
The 13 and 14 yard punts had nothing to do with the loss? When you start 75+ yards away from the goal line and the other team has to go 40 yards, the defense gets tired and the plays that can be called get fewer and fewer. Wish we had some two back sets also.

The Punts were a reason we had crap field position all game.

• Winner
Reactions: Clonefan93

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
I too wish Zeb could have gotten all the 1st string reps in camp/practice. Zeb has a lot of upside. But he did skip pass a wide open WR Saturday. Reminded me of Barnett throwing to open receivers. It's not all his fault. Some WR simply dropped the ball (Butler).

Butler def dropped one..other one was tipped so not butler fault...there was a 3rd down and Zeb had Butler wide open and ball hit 5 yards at Butler feet well short..because Zeb threw off his back foot. If you are in year 3 as a QB you shouldnt be throwing off your back foot ever unless being chased...which he wasnt. Baffling.

Way u beat Iowa is moving the ball sideline to sideline and taking deep shots..keep safeties back and LB’s honest. We did none of that..literally none of it..first series we did and then rest of the game..nothing.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I agree with the OP. As much as I like Campbell. The offensive game plan was trash.
Did you see how we struggled at the end of last year? We made a couple bad defenses look good, like Memphis. We should have known this was coming imo, but instead blamed futile offense on injury or weather.

Kempt behind a bad OL was (and is) an easy offense to defend once the opposing team had game tape. And that was with Lazard bailing out QB. Wins with this OL/QB combination are nearly completely contingent on the opposition making a lot of mistakes and Iowa St playing mistake free.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Butler def dropped one..other one was tipped so not butler fault...there was a 3rd down and Zeb had Butler wide open and ball hit 5 yards at Butler feet well short..because Zeb threw off his back foot. If you are in year 3 as a QB you shouldnt be throwing off your back foot ever unless being chased...which he wasnt. Baffling.
Agree. MC said he was very happy with Noland. WHAT? 4-10 passing and a fumble when the game is still on the line!

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Agree. MC said he was very happy with Noland. WHAT? 4-10 passing and a fumble when the game is still on the line!
You expected him to publicly toss under the bus his young QB that will soon be called on to start because he didn’t come off the bench late and play like he’s a seasoned starter? WHAT?

BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
Ames
QB play and play calling we bogus. College football is all about mismatches. For 4 quarters ISU went right were the hawks wanted us to go the middle of the field. We let their weak secondary and newbie linebackers off the hook. Didn’t use our biggest mismatch on offense the horizontal quick pass game. That game was a straight up offensive turd. They better not try to roll that turd out again against OU Saturday.

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Hard to get any offensive consistency when your left tackle is getting blown up on every play. I thought the biggest impact on the game was Julian Good-Jones starting at center and not LT. We really need Newell (or someone) to step up and own the center position so JGJ can move over there full time. Its not an encouraging sign that the coaches decided last minuet to start the group they did.

BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
Ames
In years past the line has been poor. What did we do.. added lots of pre-snap motion, moved the pocket, and had the QB get rid of the ball quick. We did all those drive 1. After that... did not.

Look what Rodgers did against a big pass rush last night. Get rid of the ball quickly. Pumping the ball 2 or 3 times against a good pass rush and you are toast!!!

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I get so sick and tired of being right all the time but this pathetic 3.36 yards/play game could be seen coming our way for the last 11 months.

It just sucks that everyone so desperately wants to blame our OL when the root cause is how easy it is to defend a QB with a weak arm, slow wind up & release, and 0 pocket mobility. Kempt at QB means there's about 3 square yards on the field for the defense to defend.

Just wait till we get more talent on the OL (wait till we get more talent...story of ISU football since 1890. All these 3 star OL recruits aren't the 1980s Redskins Hogs).

We just don't have a fan base that understands "winning because of" and "winning in spite of" (like 14-7 vs TCU), so we don't demand more on offense or think how can we move the ball.

I was a little encouraged when vs SDSU we ran a counter trey (OU's bread & butter) then on the 1st drive today we mixed in some diversity with under center sets and 12 personnel, but how quickly we revert back to Mark Mangino zone dives on 1st & 10 from 4 WR sets.

Gee why can't we block anyone?

And can we get a motion handoff to Tarique or Kene to the outside?

Campbell's offense is a bland, uncreative joke that requires a bunch of 5 star OLs.
Find an AA chapter.

Montgomery-Magic

Oct 17, 2017
Actually it was THE PISS POOR OFFENSIVE LINE that cost ISU the game......

What aspect of the line cost us the game? Are you saying the pass protection was as inept as run blocking? It's not so simple to say 'its the line.' How did the coaching adjust? Campbell obviously had a concept he was sticking to rigidly. It occurred to me during the game, maybe Campbell is doubling down on the run blocking in hopes of developing the line at a faster rate, trial by fire for the long-game, the greater good.. Maybe he was saying, 'you guys want to win this game (looking at O-Line)? Do your job!!!" Well that would be a cool story if it actually worked.

cydline2cydline

Sep 17, 2011
Altoonaville
This post is spot on. This team we saw yesterday wasn't even the same team, play calling wise, as what we saw last year.... or even in our one series last week for that matter.

Go back and watch this video below and go to the 0:25 mark, the 1:50 mark, and the 2:14 mark. These plays would have torched Iowa yesterday, and would have opened up the run game too.

Just absolutely puzzling what we saw yesterday? I don't get it at all. We have a lot of amazing talent at the skill positions that we never utilized. Sorry, but this loss is 100% on CMC and his offensive (very offensive) play calling and strategy. Our OL vs Iowa's DL was a big disadvantage for us going in, everyone knew that, so you should have a game plan to use a quick, short passing game to beat it since your QB wasn't going to have time to throw and running into Iowa's DL wasn't going to work either.

I will also bump this because going into this game I thought this would be the bread and butter trying to neutralize the DLine advantage Iowa had. Perhaps Iowa's corners were playing too tight, didn't have numbers advantange. idk...

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
You can't judge Zeb too harshly. Easy to defend when Iowa knows you're pressing the pass and down 10 points. Everyone needs to relax. Bunch of weak minded whiners in here.

Last edited: