2/1 ESPN Bracketology

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
Really, if you look at the projections for BPI which is a good measuring stick for teams too ISU is not projected to be sitting good. See Below

Selecting the “projections” just sorts by projected win/loss record, not projected BPI ranking. I guarantee ISU will not drop 32 spots in the BPI for losing 3 more games.

ComCY

Oct 31, 2016
The only things I don't like about that position are Virginia as our #1, and Marquette as the #3... perhaps Sparty because Izzo is usually an NCAA Tourney genius.

• Informative
Reactions: ForbinsAscynt

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
  • Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
I got a really dumb question, I thought places like Tulsa and Des Moines had predetermined seeds that would play there

But when I looked at ESPN vs CBS Sports, ESPN has KU playing as 3 in Des Moines and a 2 MSU playing in Des Moines and Palm has 2- 2 seeds in Des Moines, Marquette and Kentucky

Clearly I missed the rules behind this one it

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
I got a really dumb question, I thought places like Tulsa and Des Moines had predetermined seeds that would play there

But when I looked at ESPN vs CBS Sports, ESPN has KU playing as 3 in Des Moines and a 2 MSU playing in Des Moines and Palm has 2- 2 seeds in Des Moines, Marquette and Kentucky

It changed about 15-20 years ago. They can get any seed from any region. Obviously the potential second round matchups have to stay together (i.e. 2/15 and 7/10), but other than that the committee can send anyone to Des Moines.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006

There are no predetermined seeds, basically the distance from campus to the arena and seed determines where you play. Its a first come first serve, so right now with uva and duke both being 1 seeds they will both play in Columbia, South Carolina. What is hurting Iowa State's chances right now is most of the good teams are in the Midwest and South eating up the good locations and pushing teams further out.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Higher seeds we're probably better than: Purdue (just escaped in OT against Penn State), Wisconsin (better lately, but not better than us), Houston (who have they played?), Marquette and Virginia Tech

We don't want to talk too badly about Marquette. There might be somebody looking to transfer.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
we're lined up to play murray st so that's who i expect.
Really hope to avoid Murray St. Would prefer to avoid playing a high seed with a guy who can legitimately score 40.

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Can you imagine the outrage if Iowa was a lower seed than Iowa State, yet got to play in Des Moines while we were shipped out to Salt Lake City? I have a hard time believing the committee would do something like that. I have to think/hope Pollard sacrificing ISU's chance to play in Des Moines a few years ago (since we were the host school) carries some benefit to us this time around.

Also, completely nervous we get placed as a 4 seed and Iowa as a 5 in Des Moines and forced to play each other second round. That's my fear with the committee, that they would salivate over it. I'd puke.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Can you imagine the outrage if Iowa was a lower seed than Iowa State, yet got to play in Des Moines while we were shipped out to Salt Lake City? I have a hard time believing the committee would do something like that. I have to think/hope Pollard sacrificing ISU's chance to play in Des Moines a few years ago (since we were the host school) carries some benefit to us this time around.

Also, completely nervous we get placed as a 4 seed and Iowa as a 5 in Des Moines and forced to play each other second round. That's my fear with the committee, that they would salivate over it. I'd puke.

There is zero chancea 4 seed isu team gets DSM. A 3 seed ISU tean is a 50 50 chance to get DSM.

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
There is zero chancea 4 seed isu team gets DSM. A 3 seed ISU tean is a 50 50 chance to get DSM.

Then why do all these supposed bracketology "experts" have teams like Iowa, seeded as low as 6, in Des Moines?

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Been a minute since I've done this, but here's some personal bracketology I tossed together this morning. The R and L represent which way the S curve is going, so Duke is the top one, Michigan State the top 2, KU the top 3, and so on

upload_2019-2-3_14-2-36.png