2011 Recruiting?

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Let's be honest, we never had a chance with Virginia Johnson, and I'll take Taylor Greenfield over Virginia Johnson. As for JUCO's they can be hit (Denae Stuckey) or miss (Melanie Bremer), so I'm not going to get too upset about losing a JUCO. Yes, we haven't signed Greenfield yet, but we are in a very good position with her.

With Iowa's limited success, getting Johnson, who is a big-time player and recruited nationally, was a big coup. She will be a great small forward for the Hawks.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
With Iowa's limited success, getting Johnson, who is a big-time player and recruited nationally, was a big coup. She will be a great small forward for the Hawks.

In the last ten years:
Iowa - 7 NCAA's 2 WNIT's 1 year didn't qualify
ISU - 7 NCAA's 2 WNIT's 1 year didn't qualify

I don't know that I would call that limited success. They may have not won as many games in the NCAA, but they've been there more NCAA tournies in the last 10 years than Mizzou (3), KU (0), Ok. State (3), Nebraska (3), Colorado (4), Texas A&M (5), Texas Tech (6), and K-State (6). They have more NCAA appearances than 8 of the 12 teams in best bball confernence in women's basketball.

It all comes back to the fact - we had no chance for Virginia Johnson. She may end up being a great player for them, but I'm not going to be to upset about us losing her, when I doubt we really recruited her.

Last edited:

SS09

Nov 9, 2009
please be true....I believe Alex Green has wanted to go to Stanford, at least on HoopGurlz, Stanford is the only school listed. My guess it might be similar to our Berna/Moody situation.

Tara, like Pat, can put too much importance on height sometimes.

Explain

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
It all comes back to the fact - we had no chance for Virginia Johnson. She may end up being a great player for them, but I'm not going to be to upset about us losing her, when I doubt we really recruited her.

Yes, Bill Fennelly recruited Virginia Johnson.:confused:

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Bremer was a good player. She just had some maturity issues. The one year she was here she played well.

And she ended up being dismissed from the team for academic reasons, although she stated she was leaving. It was well known by insiders she was kicked off the team for academic misconduct. I would call that a miss because Bill's players don't get in trouble in the classroom.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1P1-52637503.html

Last edited:

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Yes, Bill Fennelly recruited Virginia Johnson.:confused:

Just like he recruited Kiah Stokes, Eliza Normen, Callie Berna and so on. You always recruit more than you need, because you know you're not going to get all of them. Johnson grew up a Hawkeye, so I don't think anything Bill told her was going to sway her decision. She chose between UI and Rutgers.

Virginia Johnson commits to Iowa | IowaPrepSports.com

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
And she ended up being dismissed from the team for academic reasons. I would call that a miss.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1P1-52637503.html

She was suspended for a few games in the non-conference for academic reasons. She left ISU on her own. Fennelly told her she needed to be a better leader her senior season, and she told him "no thanks".

I maintain she was not a miss. She averaged around 18 minutes per game for a very good 01-02 team. Her 6.1 ppg and 3.8 rpg are misleading -- the top three players (Welle, Wilson, Gahan) averaged a combined 54.5 ppg and 21.8 rpg. She shot nearly 50% from the field and nearly 40% behind the arc.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
She was suspended for a few games in the non-conference for academic reasons. She left ISU on her own. Fennelly told her she needed to be a better leader her senior season, and she told him "no thanks".

I maintain she was not a miss. She averaged around 18 minutes per game for a very good 01-02 team. Her 6.1 ppg and 3.8 rpg are misleading -- the top three players (Welle, Wilson, Gahan) averaged a combined 54.5 ppg and 21.8 rpg. She shot nearly 50% from the field and nearly 40% behind the arc.

"But she struggled in the classroom, enduring an academic suspension during the first semester."

She was kicked off the team, I have a very solid source on this, she was caught in a situation involving academic integrity, and it wasn't going to go her way.

Bill doesn't lose players to academics, period.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest

Tara and Pat like height. Tara is especially fond of hybrid guard/fwd types who are 6 2 or taller ie. Greenfield. TN is always one of the tallest rosters there is.

Counterpoint - ISU was taller than UCONN at every position this year in that game.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
note, speaking of Alex Cohen, we are flooded pretty bad here in Milwaukee, over eight inches in 3 hours. Her high school, Nicholet, has four feet of water in it.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
She was kicked off the team, I have a very solid source on this, she was caught in a situation involving academic integrity, and it wasn't going to go her way.

I know her suspension was around December, so I'm not sure how this fits. Not doubting what you are saying, just confused.

EDIT: just confirming she was suspended Dec 6th 2001 through the end of the semester, ending Dec 22nd (per a Daily article). I do seem to recall hearing rumors the suspension was related to academic integrity.

Last edited:

SS09

Nov 9, 2009
Tara and Pat like height. Tara is especially fond of hybrid guard/fwd types who are 6 2 or taller ie. Greenfield. TN is always one of the tallest rosters there is.

Counterpoint - ISU was taller than UCONN at every position this year in that game.

Thanks.

Tara has had many different types of teams. You look back to the 2004-05 team that finished the regular season ranked No. 1 in both polls at 29-2, Tara started 3 true guards in 5'9 Kelly Suminski, 5'7 Susan King, and 5'11 Candice Wiggins.

I think it's more about what type of personal they have.

Jeanette Pohlen, Stanford's 6'0 point guard is a natural two guard but had to play it out of necessity with the ACL of 5'8 point JJ Hones two years ago.

Stanford does have a 5'7 combo from Houston coming in next year so I wouldn't say Tara is against smaller guards.

johnsonjj

Apr 11, 2006
Johnston
C'mon WBB stalkers! All these tweeting clues from the coaching staff and no one is in here guessing or, if you know, informing the rest of us? I have come to expect more from this board!

mhalb

Apr 11, 2010
Iowa
Where's this at, and who do you suspect he was watching.

A tweet from BF

Felt popular recruiting today-lots of looks and picture snapping in my direction...then realized Geno was behind me.

ARSON

Apr 9, 2006

A tweet from BF

Felt popular recruiting today-lots of looks and picture snapping in my direction...then realized Geno was behind me.

all 3 of them are out (and a couple others perusing for us in unofficial status) and there are so many that they are looking at. Here in KC, up in Minnie, out in Berkley.
Probably more so for 12 kids than 11.
Just have to let this smorgasboard 12 days die down then filter thru!!

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest

A tweet from BF

Actually, I believe that tweet was Jodi Steyer.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
One of Pat's best PG's was Shannon Bobbit who was barely 5'0.

Pat often said she almost didn't offer her because of her size, she was the shortest player EVER in the orange. Pat also credits Shannon for teaching her that passion/energy/moxy can have more value than height. However, Pat thought that Brianna Bass had that too, and she doesn't, and I am sure Pat is regretting that offer. Brianna just doesn't have the hops Shannon did, who by the way was one of my favorite players in the orange of all time. Pat talks a lot about how Shannon brought a lot of good things to the Vol program, one of which was respect and appreciation for what they have. She was a class act. One of my favorite quotes was when Vivian Stringer said Shannon was like a gnat flying around the court, you try to swat at it but never get it.

But look at the Vols starting line up last year, 6 0, 6 2, 6 3, 6 4, 6 6. The shortest player was Bjorkland, a six 0 shooting guard.