***2017 NCAA Wrestling Championships Thurs/Fri/Sat in St. Louis***

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Kind of a ****** move by Sanderson not to pull him out before the deadline to add alternates (like Michigan did with Murphy). Somebody is going to be sitting at home who should have gotten to wrestle. If also screws up the team race because it is too late to reseed.

NCAA really needs to reconsider whether guys that are too injured to wrestle at their conference tournament should be eligible for an at large bid. I can't think of a single instance where anyone who did that was actually effective at NCAAs.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Question from a noob. Will they adjust anything, or just give his opponents byes?

Deadline to add alternates or reseed has passed (I think it was Sunday). So the University of Buffalo currently sits in first place with 3 points (1 advancement plus 2 for the forfeit).

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Now Akins gets a bye. So does the loser of the match between #14 Rodriguez of SUI-Edwardsville and US Pasone of App State. The winner of that match gets unseeded Akins instead of #3 seed Suriano to advance to face whoever comes out of the 6/11 area of the bracket, likely #6 Ethan Lizak. Lizak now has nobody seeded above #11 between himself and the semifinals (and with that AA status). It also gives what should be a much easier R12 matchup for (probably) Rodriguez of NDSU, who will probably have #14 Rodriguez in the R12 instead of #6 Lizak.

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
I see NWCA just said they had 15 lower bowl tickets for NCAA. We were without from them forever and finally got some elsewhere.

We have bought lower bowl seats from NWCA for about 5 years and paid the membership and a donation and 2 weeks ago was told we didn't have any yet. Then saw that tweet yesterday. I assume some other colleges were turning them back in
Where did you see this? I didn't come across it even in a search.

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
Kind of a ****** move by Sanderson not to pull him out before the deadline to add alternates (like Michigan did with Murphy). Somebody is going to be sitting at home who should have gotten to wrestle. If also screws up the team race because it is too late to reseed.

NCAA really needs to reconsider whether guys that are too injured to wrestle at their conference tournament should be eligible for an at large bid. I can't think of a single instance where anyone who did that was actually effective at NCAAs.
...but he did wrestled at the conference tournament...for 2 seconds.

Not sure what the right answer is. Always a gray area in rules that can be exploited. Maybe they make a rule where the team that pulls this crap is deducted team points at NCAA tourney? I agree it is a shi**y move by Sanderson. What if the next man in line to qualify was from a top 5 school? That would really make them go nuts!

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
...but he did wrestled at the conference tournament...for 2 seconds.

Not sure what the right answer is. Always a gray area in rules that can be exploited. Maybe they make a rule where the team that pulls this crap is deducted team points at NCAA tourney? I agree it is a shi**y move by Sanderson. What if the next man in line to qualify was from a top 5 school? That would really make them go nuts!

My only moderately snarky thought is two pronged
-Don't let anyone who injury defaults out of their last match at their conference tournament be considered for a seed
-Have a named alternate for that spot (so somebody can continue to stay on weight and practice) and the morning of NCAAs have them wrestle off for a spot in the bracket via a pigtail match that isn't included in the team score.

That way if they get healthy then no harm no foul. If they aren't healthy then the bracket isn't screwed up late.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
My only moderately snarky thought is two pronged
-Don't let anyone who injury defaults out of their last match at their conference tournament be considered for a seed
-Have a named alternate for that spot (so somebody can continue to stay on weight and practice) and the morning of NCAAs have them wrestle off for a spot in the bracket via a pigtail match that isn't included in the team score.

That way if they get healthy then no harm no foul. If they aren't healthy then the bracket isn't screwed up late.

I think they should list 35 guys. Iowa HS has the 3rd place district guys on stand by if 1 or 2 cant go. Have the next 2 listed, these are college guys and are talking about holding weight for 2 weeks. If one goes down, then bump #34 in their place.

Reactions: Judoka

ajbjunior

Feb 4, 2007
Team Ajbjunior

125: #8 Nicholas Piccininni (Oklahoma St)

133: #3 Kaid Brock (Oklahoma St)

141: #6 George DiCamillo (Virginia)

149: #1 Zain Retherford (Penn St)

157: #9 Joshua Shields (Arizona St)

165: #7 Anthony Valencia (Arizona St)

174: #5 Mark Hall (Penn St)

184: #2 Bo Nickal (Penn St)

197: #4 Jared Haught (Virginia Tech)

HWT: #10 Nathan Butler (Stanford)

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Am I missing anybody?

Code:
╔═══════╦═════════════════════════╦═══════╗
║ Place ║          Team           ║ Score ║
╠═══════╬═════════════════════════╬═══════╣
║     1 ║ Fightin' HitHard58s     ║     0 ║
║     1 ║ Fightin' Isuskas        ║     0 ║
║     1 ║ Fightin' Buf87s         ║     0 ║
║     1 ║ Fightin' SouthJerseyCys ║     0 ║
║     1 ║ Fightin' Bthomps01s     ║     0 ║
║     1 ║ Fightin' csteves        ║     0 ║
║     1 ║ Fightin' Hgoats         ║     0 ║
║     1 ║ Fightin' CY88CE11s      ║     0 ║
║     1 ║ Fightin' PT26s          ║     0 ║
║     1 ║ Fightin' BillyClones    ║     0 ║
║     1 ║ Fightin' Abjuniors      ║     0 ║
║     1 ║ Fightin' GrappleCys     ║     0 ║
╚═══════╩═════════════════════════╩═══════╝

Still 2 hours left if anybody else wants in.

http://www.widerightnattylite.com/2...-for-the-2017-ncaa-d1-wrestling-championships

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Surprised by some of the brackets. The WRNL site says that bonus points matter. the two highest scoring one seeds at their weights, by bonus and total team points added are Dean and Nolf, and no one used their #1 on them.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Michigan lost a second wrestler, unseeded Zach Hall at either weigh ins or skin checks. That gives #10 seed Gardner of Lehigh a bye and bonus points. Lehigh has now caught up with Biffalo in the team score.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Surprised by some of the brackets. The WRNL site says that bonus points matter. the two highest scoring one seeds at their weights, by bonus and total team points added are Dean and Nolf, and no one used their #1 on them.

I went with Snyder because he's performed so consistently well at a high level. But yeah, Dean especially is pretty much a lock for 20 points at least.