***2017 NCAA Wrestling Championships Thurs/Fri/Sat in St. Louis***

isuska

Jun 22, 2011
Ankeny, IA
Surprised by some of the brackets. The WRNL site says that bonus points matter. the two highest scoring one seeds at their weights, by bonus and total team points added are Dean and Nolf, and no one used their #1 on them.
I used Nolf as my #1 seed. Last year, Dean only had 1 bonus point match at Nationals, a pin in round 2. I choose to use #2 Bo Nickal at 184 because I felt he was more likely to pin people.

But I agree, I thought more people would use Nolf, Retherford, or Snyder as their #1 seed.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Am I missing anybody?

Code:
╔═══════╦═════════════════════════╦═══════╗
║ Place ║          Team           ║ Score ║
╠═══════╬═════════════════════════╬═══════╣
║     1 ║ Fightin' HitHard58s     ║     0 ║
║     1 ║ Fightin' Isuskas        ║     0 ║
║     1 ║ Fightin' Buf87s         ║     0 ║
║     1 ║ Fightin' SouthJerseyCys ║     0 ║
║     1 ║ Fightin' Bthomps01s     ║     0 ║
║     1 ║ Fightin' csteves        ║     0 ║
║     1 ║ Fightin' Hgoats         ║     0 ║
║     1 ║ Fightin' CY88CE11s      ║     0 ║
║     1 ║ Fightin' PT26s          ║     0 ║
║     1 ║ Fightin' BillyClones    ║     0 ║
║     1 ║ Fightin' Abjuniors      ║     0 ║
║     1 ║ Fightin' GrappleCys     ║     0 ║
╚═══════╩═════════════════════════╩═══════╝

Still 2 hours left if anybody else wants in.

http://www.widerightnattylite.com/2...-for-the-2017-ncaa-d1-wrestling-championships
Just tossed my name in the ring. Same user.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I used Nolf as my #1 seed. Last year, Dean only had 1 bonus point match at Nationals, a pin in round 2. I choose to use #2 Bo Nickal at 184 because I felt he was more likely to pin people.

But I agree, I thought more people would use Nolf, Retherford, or Snyder as their #1 seed.
Dean is the most dominant wrestler in the NCAA this year though. You think he will change that in the tournament? He could, but I doubt it.

I too went with Nolf as the #1. He and Kemmerer are head and shoulders above everyone else, and he has been dominant in his matches versus the #2.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
125: #6 Lizak
133: #5 Micic
141: #10 Meredith
149: #7 Thomsen
157: #1 Nolf
165: #8 Cottrell
174: #4 Epperly
184: #2 Nickal
197: #9 Rotert
HWT: #3 Walz

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Who is the consensus #1 pick? Snyder? Martinez?

When considering bonus points, I think it's Nolf. To me, Snyder or Dean are clear picks to win a title, but I also consider a couple of other things.

1. Snyder is a small HWT. That has nothing to do with his ability to plow through and take the title. May be more difficult for him to get TFs or falls. I could see him majoring his way to a title though
2. Dean is in one of the deepest weight classes, right there with 133 and 174 (Mark Hall the 5 seed?!?!?)

Nolf, unless I've missed something, has only been challenged, somewhat, by Kemerer, and he's dominated him twice.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
When considering bonus points, I think it's Nolf. To me, Snyder or Dean are clear picks to win a title, but I also consider a couple of other things.

1. Snyder is a small HWT. That has nothing to do with his ability to plow through and take the title. May be more difficult for him to get TFs or falls. I could see him majoring his way to a title though
2. Dean is in one of the deepest weight classes, right there with 133 and 174 (Mark Hall the 5 seed?!?!?)

Nolf, unless I've missed something, has only been challenged, somewhat, by Kemerer, and he's dominated him twice.
Nolf is the surest thing, because there are two guys way better than the rest at that weight, and Nolf is way ahead of Kemerer at this point. Reminds me of Varner's senior year, where he was the best, and Brester was far better than anyone but him. And with all their head to heads you knew who to go after as the champion.

That being said Dean opened up hi style this year and has absolutely laid the wood to all comers, racking up more team points than any other wrestler. He continues that to a title and he should win the Hodge.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I might do a little reworking before 11, Gardner being a sure couple of points is good and the scratch at 125 also mixes things up.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I went with Snyder because he's performed so consistently well at a high level. But yeah, Dean especially is pretty much a lock for 20 points at least.
Especially with no PD3....
But seriously, I cant fault the Snyder pick. he is probably the best wrestler in the world. I sometimes just worry about all the weight he is giving up, lack of mat time this year in the NCAA, and what happened when he wrestled a much physically stronger wrestler his freshman year( and Gadsen stuck him).

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Upon further thought, no. I think Meradith is going to make a run out of the 10 spot and score more than Gardner even with him being spotted 3 points.