MLB: 2018 - 2019 General Baseball Off Season Thread

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
And spring games are on. Hats off to any Yankee or Boston fan that recognize ANY of these pitchers from yesterday. :rolleyes:

upload_2019-2-24_9-13-19.png

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
@JeffPassan: BREAKING: Third baseman Nolan Arenado and the Colorado Rockies are finalizing an eight-year, contract extension worth more than $255M, league sources tell ESPN. Deal includes an opt-out after three years, would give Arenado the largest per-year salary of any position player.

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
@JeffPassan: BREAKING: Third baseman Nolan Arenado and the Colorado Rockies are finalizing an eight-year, contract extension worth more than $255M, league sources tell ESPN. Deal includes an opt-out after three years, would give Arenado the largest per-year salary of any position player.

Arenado is great but if he's getting $31.875M then Trout is worth at least $50M.

Also, Bryce Harper just got more expensive as he begs anyone and everyone to not make him play in Philadelphia.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
6 years for the Phillies.
Depends how Harper holds up with Philly fans. They're going to lose it when he passes his prime.

I don't know how he lives up to it almost immediately unless he's an MVP candidate right out of the chute. If he struggles at all or gets bitten by the injury bug those fans are going to get impatient really quickly. It's a lot of money and I don't blame him for taking it, but man. That's a shitload of pressure. And no easy path to a divorce if it goes bad, either.

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
May Harper add to the post-season success of the Phillies as much as he did the Nats. On the flip side, I'm not upset that SF isn't on the hook for that kind of money. He's gonna be nearly 40 before that contract expires.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclone101

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
May Harper add to the post-season success of the Phillies as much as he did the Nats. On the flip side, I'm not upset that SF isn't on the hook for that kind of money. He's gonna be nearly 40 before that contract expires.

That's the stunning part to me. Harper was always going to get a huge payday, but to lock him up for thirteen years without any kind of opt out clause is insanity. He'll be past his prime long before that contract ends.

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
I've got a crisp $20 bill on Harper blowing out both of his knees by 34 and the last five years of that contract being dead weight.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I've got a crisp $20 bill on Harper blowing out both of his knees by 34 and the last five years of that contract being dead weight.

Philly fans desperately trying to talk themselves into it: "It'll be worth it after six MVP awards and three World Series titles!"

Jan 8, 2019
Another dumb example of a team trying to buy rings. You get baseball championships by your culture and plugging different guys in. The most successful teams in this sport don't panic and overspend. The Phillies and many other teams overspend.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
That's the stunning part to me. Harper was always going to get a huge payday, but to lock him up for thirteen years without any kind of opt out clause is insanity. He'll be past his prime long before that contract ends.

And players are ******** about free agents not getting deals. I understand why the young players are pissed due to how the contract cycle works. However, I don’t blame the owners for not wanting to take part in this insanity.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
And players are ******** about free agents not getting deals. I understand why the young players are pissed due to how the contract cycle works. However, I don’t blame the owners for not wanting to take part in this insanity.

Makes you wonder what Mike Trout will get in a couple years. He's a free agent after 2020, right?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron