2020 B12 referees

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
Here we are several weeks into the season. I know that Texas and Oklahoma fans have criticized the referees for making so many calls in their games. Quite frankly, I've noted several crews that seem a little haphazard, but nothing exceptionally egregious in their play calling as most crews miss calls here and there. But what I have noticed is that the bad calls that usually come Iowa State's way, are now also falling in the path of other teams as well.
Could it be that the breaking up some of the crews has removed some of the biases that always found a way for teams like Oklahoma and Texas to win? Oh if only Paul Rhoads had this advantage when playing Texas at home. (LOL).

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
I don't know that they are worse than prior years, as you say they all make errors. I do agree it seems the refs this year are more willing to call penalties on UT and OU. I don't mean calling penalties on them that are undeserved, which is what most teams deal with. But actually just flagging real penalties when those two teams commit them. Have to hope that keeps up.

I still don't get why replay reviews can't be more accurate. Not that it matters, but on TTU's touchdown yesterday, that was not a catch. He did perhaps originally get control of the ball with one foot inbounds. But even that can be disputed because the ball kept moving even after he clutched it. But then he spun around and went to the ground and the ball came loose from his hands for a split second before he hit the ground. There was only one angle where you could see that, but it was clear that the ball was loose between his chest and his hands, and then he did regain control right before he hit the ground, but out of bounds at that point. Based on the rule requiring control all the way through the catch when going to the ground, that was not a catch and that's what I think the refereee standing right there saw and called it incomplete.

At the very least, there is no way to say that is clear and convincing evidence to overturn the call on the field. Replay review overrules should not be based on well, it was really close either way, which is what that was.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I actually believe the refs are much better than any time in the past. Sure, they call more, but teams are sloppy without a preseason. Maybe we are getting officials that normally work other leagues.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Haven't seen any of the main head refs of the past:

- Reggie
- Warren G. Harding look-alike
- Saucy southern accent guy
- Scmedium shirt guy with rec specs

Did the league do a big re-organization?

Inthesystem

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2009

- Reggie

Warren G. Harding guy retired.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Can we talk about holding?

Specifically, our boys on the DL being mauled and wrestled to the ground on the majority of passing downs and the referee NEVER calls them for it?!?
They could call it more I partially agree, but Will McDonald is getting about 1 hold call per game. (now the debate can be made he should be getting THREE lol)

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
Here we are several weeks into the season. I know that Texas and Oklahoma fans have criticized the referees for making so many calls in their games. Quite frankly, I've noted several crews that seem a little haphazard, but nothing exceptionally egregious in their play calling as most crews miss calls here and there. But what I have noticed is that the bad calls that usually come Iowa State's way, are now also falling in the path of other teams as well.
Could it be that the breaking up some of the crews has removed some of the biases that always found a way for teams like Oklahoma and Texas to win? Oh if only Paul Rhoads had this advantage when playing Texas at home. (LOL).
I’ve noticed this too. I thought of it as more respect to where our program has become. I felt the same way when we were building our program in basketball

• Useful
  • Agree
Reactions: cc1091 and Cycsk

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Can we talk about holding?

Specifically, our boys on the DL being mauled and wrestled to the ground on the majority of passing downs and the referee NEVER calls them for it?!?
TCU did a lot

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
@norcalcy - thanks for post, more clarification on main head refs of the past:

- Reggie = Regie Smith - moved to Big 10 (Loved him in 2012 OK St. Upset; hated him in K-State game in Lazard's final year)
- Warren G. Harding look-alike = Cooper Castleberry - retired
- Saucy southern accent guy = Mike DeFee - took front office job
- Scmedium shirt guy with rec specs = unknown

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
@norcalcy - thanks for post, more clarification on main head refs of the past:

- Reggie = Regie Smith - moved to Big 10 (Loved him in 2012 OK St. Upset; hated him in K-State game in Lazard's final year)
- Warren G. Harding look-alike = Cooper Castleberry - retired
- Saucy southern accent guy = Mike DeFee - took front office job
- Scmedium shirt guy with rec specs = unknown
DeFee can EAD

• Funny
Reactions: khardbored

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009

- Reggie

Mike Defee, Cooper Castleberry and Eddie Shelton all retired. Reggie Smith moved to the Big Ten, I didn't realize he lives in Pennsylvania so that move makes sense.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I don't know that they are worse than prior years, as you say they all make errors. I do agree it seems the refs this year are more willing to call penalties on UT and OU. I don't mean calling penalties on them that are undeserved, which is what most teams deal with. But actually just flagging real penalties when those two teams commit them. Have to hope that keeps up.

I still don't get why replay reviews can't be more accurate. Not that it matters, but on TTU's touchdown yesterday, that was not a catch. He did perhaps originally get control of the ball with one foot inbounds. But even that can be disputed because the ball kept moving even after he clutched it. But then he spun around and went to the ground and the ball came loose from his hands for a split second before he hit the ground. There was only one angle where you could see that, but it was clear that the ball was loose between his chest and his hands, and then he did regain control right before he hit the ground, but out of bounds at that point. Based on the rule requiring control all the way through the catch when going to the ground, that was not a catch and that's what I think the refereee standing right there saw and called it incomplete.

At the very least, there is no way to say that is clear and convincing evidence to overturn the call on the field. Replay review overrules should not be based on well, it was really close either way, which is what that was.
That was absolutely a touchdown. The refs got both of those reviews right.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
What I have been most pleased with is replay. I'm not saying I 100% agree with every replay decision this year, but there seems to be a dearth of the "What the **** were they looking at on that one?!!" plays. If I disagree with the replay decision it has generally been a close call and almost always they go with the call on the field - just too close to overturn. That is what replay is supposed to look like.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
What I have been most pleased with is replay. I'm not saying I 100% agree with every replay decision this year, but there seems to be a dearth of the "What the **** were they looking at on that one?!!" plays. If I disagree with the replay decision it has generally been a close call and almost always they go with the call on the field - just too close to overturn. That is what replay is supposed to look like.
My only issue is how much they’re replaying. Like, the Allen catch from the Soehener pass in the OU game was a clean and easy to see catch. The booth should have easily been able to see that and move on, yet they halted play to further review it.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
My only issue is how much they’re replaying. Like, the Allen catch from the Soehener pass in the OU game was a clean and easy to see catch. The booth should have easily been able to see that and move on, yet they halted play to further review it.
In their defense, I'm sure that they were dumbfounded that two big TEs could hook up for that play - one throwing that tight spiral right where only his teammate could catch it and the other laying out to make a great grab.