2020 B12 referees

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
I've been mostly happy with the officials so far in our games. There's been a few questionable no-calls, and a couple of maybe mis-calls (illegal formation 2 games ago) but not too much that was blatant flip-the-table type of stuff.

The targeting issue is one I'm just mildly upset about, but more as a rule in general. I like the intent of the rule (i.e. to eliminate those types of plays), but by the letter of the rule, I disagree that Young targeted. I feel like Young was playing too "head down" there, though, and if he hadn't been called for it on the previous play they wouldn't have ejected him. I feel like they were trying to send a message there, and Young wasn't listening the first time.

Blackhawk6515

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 21, 2008
Way too many reviews. Theses games are taking too long to play. Look at it once and move on. I have always been against booth reviews. The call on the field stands.

Reactions: GoFast

GoFast

Oct 6, 2020
Yep, when they have to look at pixel movement during a review in order to determine/confirm a call while taking more than two minutes - The call on the field should stand.
The entire targeting issue is completely lacking any consistency with calls. The NCAA needs to clean this area up a bit. I think they need to have a dedicated meeting with every official to further explain the rule while providing specific examples etc. Its pretty much become arbitrary at this point. A full game suspension is also silly void of intent Etc.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
I disagree that Young targeted. I feel like Young was playing too "head down" there, though, and if he hadn't been called for it on the previous play they wouldn't have ejected him. I feel like they were trying to send a message there, and Young wasn't listening the first time.
the call before was on #20 LB Alec Horne. both of them the helmet to helmet was an incidental occurrence. What makes the call on Young ********, is that you can clearly see Young turn his head and upper body sideways to lead with his shoulder.. and the side of Youngs helmet is what hits.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
the call before was on #20 LB Alec Horne. both of them the helmet to helmet was an incidental occurrence. What makes the call on Young ********, is that you can clearly see Young turn his head and upper body sideways to lead with his shoulder.. and the side of Youngs helmet is what hits.

Oh for some reason I thought it was Young both times, but yeah I agree that it wasn't the correct call, and the punishment is pretty severe for an incorrect call. That's why it's extra BS indeed.

Reactions: motorcy90