NFL: ***2020 NFL Season Thread***

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I don’t think that’s going to matter.
Yeah, they're not going to tip their hand. He's their most valuable asset It's a game of chicken right now.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
And Jared Goff was never heard from again. Hope he proves me wrong.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I guess the Rams think they are a quarterback from winning a Super Bowl now. Not quite as bad (because nothing can be) as the Herschel Walker trade.
Great trade for the Lions. Completely moronic for the Rams

Not completely moronic if the Rams win a Super Bowl or two the next couple of years. The backlash will be unbelievably bad for years to come once the window shuts, but if they win it might be worth it. At least Stafford will finally get the opportunity to prove that that the problem was Detroit and not him.

And Jared Goff was never heard from again. Hope he proves me wrong.

Pretty much this. The Lions didn't trade Stafford for Goff because they expect him to be the future of the organization; they traded for him because either 1. they plan on flipping him to another team that wants a QB, or 2. he's a cheaper option than Stafford will be for the next couple of years until they can cut him. It's not like the Lions are winning anytime in the near future. They don't have a defense whatsoever, and outside of Golliday and maybe Hockenson they don't have much on offense, either.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Not completely moronic if the Rams win a Super Bowl or two the next couple of years. The backlash will be unbelievably bad for years to come once the window shuts, but if they win it might be worth it. At least Stafford will finally get the opportunity to prove that that the problem was Detroit and not him.

Pretty much this. The Lions didn't trade Stafford for Goff because they expect him to be the future of the organization; they traded for him because either 1. they plan on flipping him to another team that wants a QB, or 2. he's a cheaper option than Stafford will be for the next couple of years until they can cut him. It's not like the Lions are winning anytime in the near future. They don't have a defense whatsoever, and outside of Golliday and maybe Hockenson they don't have much on offense, either.
I checked and Stafford is 2-3 years younger than I thought. He's also had his butt kicked for 10 years. Plus there is no contract extension so this could potentially be a 2 year deal. His numbers are pretty cap friendly. So maybe not completely moronic but I still think they gave up entirely too much.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Stafford is far from a sure thing. Seems like an awful lot to give up for him. Wonder if this affects the chances of Watson getting traded. You'd have to think he'd command at least as much in return and probably more.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
Also keep in mind that Goff's cap hold was actually higher than Stafford, so the Rams are getting a better (albeit only slightly above average) starting QB on a lower cap. They do have to eat a bunch of bonus money paid to Goff as a dead cap hit.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Stafford is far from a sure thing. Seems like an awful lot to give up for him. Wonder if this affects the chances of Watson getting traded. You'd have to think he'd command at least as much in return and probably more.

He is far from a sure thing, which is why I specifically said he's going to get the opportunity to prove that it was Detroit and not him. The one thing Stafford will have that he hasn't had in nearly a decade in Detroit is a defense that won't hang him out to dry week after week.

Reactions: Mr Janny

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I think the Texans have done enough to the Carr family. Hope Derek doesn't end up there.

• Agree
Reactions: demoncore1031