***Official 2024 Chicago Cubs Thread***

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Some of you guys need to chill and get some perspective. If an outsider read this thread you would think it's a Rockies or Sox thread.

We are tied for the 3rd most wins in the NL, only a game back. We are still Top 10 in runs even though the offense has been terrible for a couple weeks now. We haven't even had our ace pitcher yet and 2/3 of our outfield has been out for a long stretch.

I dont think you could ask for a better start to the season given the circumstances.

I used to live and die by every single game but the more I've gotten older the more it becomes about winning a series. Just keep doing that and this team will easily be in the playoffs.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
We're flawed.

Do you have a rebuttal to my post or you just think everything is dumb?
Is this your first Cubs season? It's always cold as **** up there until June usually so the bats usually don't wake up until summer. We have a really solid starting pitching staff right now.

Steel and Imanga are top of the line starters capable of winning a post season series. I'd be comfortable with Assad, Taillon, and Wicks starting a series also.

The offense will be there, we just need to improve the bullpen.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Do you have a rebuttal to my post or you just think everything is dumb?
Is this your first Cubs season? It's always cold as **** up there until June usually so the bats usually don't wake up until summer. We have a really solid starting pitching staff right now.

Steel and Imanga are top of the line starters capable of winning a post season series. I'd be comfortable with Assad, Taillon, and Wicks starting a series also.

The offense will be there, we just need to improve the bullpen.
Our MO
We take leads early.
Bullpen blows the lead.
It's a coin flip whether we hang on or not.
We're only in week 5. Name one reliever you've been comfortable with everytime out?

And I only dumb the stupid **** you say.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Exactly.

So it's dumb when I say we are fine and nobody needs to panic yet? Or dumb when I think we should hold onto Busch instead of wasting millions on Alonso?
If you don't see a problem with the makeup of this team i doubt there's anything I can say that would enlighten you.

And you didn't answer the question.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
If you don't see a problem with the makeup of this team i doubt there's anything I can say that would enlighten you.
No, I dont see a problem with the makeup of this team right now. We have the third best record in the NL right now with a bad bullpen and a bunch of guys playing who should be at Iowa. We haven't even really had our entire team healthy together at once yet.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Problem is, after last year, we know we can’t **** around in April and May, because then something like September happens.

We’re having the same fuckery now but getting more Ws and I credit Craig for that

Reactions: CYdTracked

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Leiter has been really solid. Brown and Wesneski will move into permanent bullpen roles once we get the rotation healthy. Nerris has been ok. Thompson had been really good until today. Merryweather will be back hopefully later in the year.

The onky one I'm concerned about for the rest of the year is Alzolay.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

The relief group is problematic, but we are just over 1 month into a 6 month season. Last year the Rangers and Diamondbacks proved getting to the playoffs and to be playing well is more important than winning 100 games. Also a player like Suzuki looked horrible during the first half of season, but was a stud 2nd half.

Its a bit of semantics, I would agree the roster is flawed more than problematic. It's is a work in progress. Hope getting Bellinger and Suzuki back gives the offense more consistency and slug.

The starting rotation has been really solid over the last couple weeks and the return of Steele should be a boost. Also on IL are Hendricks, Smyly, Wicks and Merryweather. There's no savior among that group. Although Merryweather could have a big impact as a leverage 7th/8th inning guy in the 2nd half.

Right now the lineup could use a slugger and a closer would be awesome. It might be optimistic, but no reason Hoyer can't be agressive to fill gaps. This also might be a team where some late season call-ups can have a big impact: Horton, Vazquez, Triantos, Shaw, Ballesteros, Caissie. Also Little.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
The relief group is problematic, but we are just over 1 month into a 6 month season. Last year the Rangers and Diamondbacks proved getting to the playoffs and to be playing well is more important than winning 100 games. Also a player like Suzuki looked horrible during the first half of season, but was a stud 2nd half.

Its a bit of semantics, I would agree the roster is flawed more than problematic. It's is a work in progress. Hope getting Bellinger and Suzuki back gives the offense more consistency and slug.

The starting rotation has been really solid over the last couple weeks and the return of Steele should be a boost. Also on IL are Hendricks, Smyly, Wicks and Merryweather. There's no savior among that group. Although Merryweather could have a big impact as a leverage 7th/8th inning guy in the 2nd half.

Right now the lineup could use a slugger and a closer would be awesome. It might be optimistic, but no reason Hoyer can't be agressive to fill gaps. This also might be a team where some late season call-ups can have a big impact: Horton, Vazquez, Triantos, Shaw, Ballesteros, Caissie. Also Little.
Merryweather isn't showing up to save us. He's on the 60 day IL. We're flawed it's the bullpen. Alzolay looks just like he did at the end of last year. Neris is a mess. Hendricks and Smyly are somehow going to save us?

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Merryweather isn't showing up to save us. He's on the 60 day IL. We're flawed it's the bullpen. Alzolay looks just like he did at the end of last year. Neris is a mess. Hendricks and Smyly are somehow going to save us?
Did you read what I posted. I am not looking for any of the guys I mentioned to be a savior. I do feel that the Cubs have a number of arms and a couple guys can emerge.

We'll see if Hendricks has anything left in the tank, but I know one thing, he will compete. Same goes for Smyly and he's a lefty. We have a lot of guys used to starting- Brown, Wesneski, Wicks and Smyly who could fall into a middle relief 2-3 inning role. Maybe Counsell has to take a different approach than the typical 6(starter):1:1:1 inning allotment that most managers go with.

I feel that every year there are quality closers available at the trade deadline. This might be a year where the Cubs have to trade a prospect or two for an elite closer.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
The Debbie Downer posts like the sky is falling are starting to get old and sound like a broken record. Yes the team has flaws as does many other teams right now too. The fact they are still playing winning baseball with some of the guys they have in the IL right now says something about this team and the job Counsell is doing. When/if they ever get fully healthy these guys we've called up to play bigger roles than anticipated are going to add a lot.of valuable depth to the roster. Yes the bullpen has a lot of issues but they will etlither get it figured pit or use some of the prospect depth to address it.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
The Debbie Downer posts like the sky is falling are starting to get old and sound like a broken record. Yes the team has flaws as does many other teams right now too. The fact they are still playing winning baseball with some of the guys they have in the IL right now says something about this team and the job Counsell is doing. When/if they ever get fully healthy these guys we've called up to play bigger roles than anticipated are going to add a lot.of valuable depth to the roster. Yes the bullpen has a lot of issues but they will etlither get it figured pit or use some of the prospect depth to address it.
What's funny is I'm one of the most positive posters in this thread but anything I say negative meets backlash. I really don't give a **** but it is ironic.

So let me ask you are you ok with Swanson's absolute refusal to do any type of situatuonal hitting? I mean if he was a 30 HR guy I could see it but he's league average at the plate. You'd think he'd make some type of effort.