2022 NCAA women's basketball selection show and bracket

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The Selection Show and reveal for the the 2022 NCAA DI Women's Basketball Championship bracket will be on ESPN at 7:00 central time today.

Known: We will be hosting in Ames as one of the Sixteen which is huge.
Known: Ames games will be March 18/20 or March 19/21
Known: We are either a #2 or #3.
Known: Game 1 will be a cupcake.
Known: The bracketology peeps are rarely close on who plays who.
Known: We have only lost to Top 10 teams that are defense focused. Only a handful of those in the dance.
Known: We will not be in the same regional as Baylor or Texas. LSU could be but pretty unlikely.
Known: The talking heads will be all "Oh, that's a TOUGH region!" and yadda, yadda, yadda, yadda. ;)

Unknown: Will NCAA send regional teams to Ames and Iowa City like in 2019 to save travel money? Not like there is any other reason unless the seeding just works out that way. Neither the Cyclones or Hawks need the few hundred ticket sells from some regional team after the combined 29,000 they drew a week or so ago for their last conference home games.
Unknown: What region, that's anyone's guess.
Unknown: Not Cyclone related but I'm curious to see if Sooners hang on to hosting in Norman. I'd say 50/50.

Last edited:

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
IMO this is the best equipped ISU team to make a deep run that I’ve seen in a long time. We have one “big” weakness that can be masked in most games. As Boxter said, there are only a few “bully” teams in the field and if you aren’t one now they aren’t going to change at this point in time.

Reactions: Junejax

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Who are the other top 25 tough matchups like the 3 you mentioned?

The obvious top talent that also plays good defense might include UConn, North Carolina, Stanford and Louisville. Lower seeded teams that play good defense are out there among the mid-majors, schools like the South Dakota's and Mizzu State's but they aren't putting elite athletes on the court so it is not the same level. Scoring defense for some of the mids is more predicated on pace, not like a lot of them are pressing, or pressing successfully, against top P6 teams.

I hardly look at bracket predictions, just personally think they are sort of ******** outside of a general seeding indication. It's mostly just click bait. Flipped into one the other day and it auto started a video of Autumn Johnson screaming out her hot take before I could mute her video. Her shouting over the top style just grates on me. She not quite as bad live and in studio (I assume they sedate her before she goes on air). :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: Junejax and NWICY

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
UNI up 5 at the half of mvc final. Would think if they win the go to Iowa City or Ames. Drake went to Iowa City a couple of years ago.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
UNI played both in the regular season so they try to avoid rematches in the first two rounds. Also not sure the seeding would match up either.

True. Was odd they put Drake in IC in 2019, like you said, they usually try to avoid that. Since everything is on the cheap the first two games, like travel and venues, they maybe bend that "rule" more for high seeds. At least Drake lost so it was not a rematch in the 2nd round.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
UNI loses a heart breaker to Illinois State by 2. Maybe now Illinois State comes to either hosting site in Iowa.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
The obvious top talent that also plays good defense might include UConn, North Carolina, Stanford and Louisville. Lower seeded teams that play good defense are out there among the mid-majors, schools like the South Dakota's and Mizzu State's but they aren't putting elite athletes on the court so it is not the same level.
NC State I assume you mean. They pay very tough defense, and will be a #1

Reactions: BoxsterCy

Cysister

Mar 18, 2008
Dubuque, IA
It will be interesting to see Missouri St. They beat Virginia Tech and USC in non conference and lost to LSU and Oklahoma State in close games. These games were all with their best player in my opinion who has missed conference play with a knee injury. They had 5 conference loses and didn’t make the conference final. All depends in they want to give another power conference team another bid.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It will be interesting to see Missouri St. They beat Virginia Tech and USC in non conference and lost to LSU and Oklahoma State in close games. These games were all with their best player in my opinion who has missed conference play with a knee injury. They had 5 conference loses and didn’t make the conference final. All depends in they want to give another power conference team another bid.
Wasn’t nice last time we hosted them.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

bowlfan912

Feb 15, 2010
Ames,IA
Didn't they beat Missouri too?

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron