2023-2024 Line Up

dukeebear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 30, 2006
Ames
I don’t know. Scholarship info is usually extremely private and I can’t recall an example of someone losing their scholarship publically. Can you?
I wouldn't say it was extremely private either. I watched at least two great football videos .this year showing players getting scholarships

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Absolutely. Multiple times. It may not be in the news, but when they announce someone has been removed from a team, do you think they keep their scholarship?
Lol. So they’re kicking guys off teams. Why didn’t you say that? Kicking someone off a team is different than pulling scholarship. Weird.

dukeebear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 30, 2006
Ames
What do you think happens to the scholarship when they get kicked off the team?

dukeebear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 30, 2006
Ames
Lol. So they’re kicking guys off teams. Why didn’t you say that? Kicking someone off a team is different than pulling scholarship. Weird.
Are you just so hell bent on arguing that you cant see those are the same thing if the player was on scholarship?

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Are you just so hell bent on arguing that you cant see those are the same thing if the player was on scholarship?
They’re not the same thing. Is there overlap a lot, I’m sure there is. If you think he should have been dismissed it is an extremely weird choice of language by you.

1. you can lose a scholarship and stay on the team.
2. You can be dismissed and still keep your scholarship.

dukeebear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 30, 2006
Ames
They’re not the same thing. Is there overlap a lot, I’m sure there is. If you think he should have been dismissed it is an extremely weird choice of language by you.

1. you can lose a scholarship and stay on the team.
2. You can be dismissed and still keep your scholarship.
Correct, but wouldn't call either the norm for a felony. It's not my choice if he is dismissed or not, I trust the coaches and university to make an informed decision. I just stated that I was surprised to see him at the golf outing.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
Correct, but wouldn't call either the norm for a felony. It's not my choice if he is dismissed or not, I trust the coaches and university to make an informed decision. I just stated that I was surprised to see him at the golf outing.
Quite the opposite in my view. I would be more surprised to NOT see him there. I would be disappointed in our program and our staff to see us ostracize the kid instead of having his back through this. Sounds like he was a dumb kid and made a dumb decision and had dumb family members not looking out in his best interest. My hope is he pleas down, redshirts the year, still retains eligibility, gets his degree, wins a national title, and all of that happens because his COACHES, and TEAMMATES, and PROGRAM/COMMUNITY in general have his back when he needs it most.

dukeebear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 30, 2006
Ames
Quite the opposite in my view. I would be more surprised to NOT see him there. I would be disappointed in our program and our staff to see us ostracize the kid instead of having his back through this. Sounds like he was a dumb kid and made a dumb decision and had dumb family members not looking out in his best interest. My hope is he pleas down, redshirts the year, still retains eligibility, gets his degree, wins a national title, and all of that happens because his COACHES, and TEAMMATES, and PROGRAM/COMMUNITY in general have his back when he needs it most.
We actually agreed on that if you read a previous post

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
I wouldn't say it was extremely private either. I watched at least two great football videos .this year showing players getting scholarships
I don't think it's fair to compare FB/BB vs non revenue sports. All FB/BB scholarships are full rides so there's nothing to keep quite about. However, non-revenue sports can break up the scholarships and offer a %. In my experience the partial scholarships are very private among athletes/families. IMO it's a lot like how a college grad should not tell others how much the new job's salary is. It's fun to brag until someone else goes to HR complaining because they are paid less that you so you loose the job offer because you didn't keep it confidential. I can see athlete's (and families) getting very jealous of someone else who is on a better scholarship % than they are. If I'm the coaches I'm encouraging my wrestlers to keep it to themselves. I have the same opinion of NIL contracts. I've yet to see an "official" NIL contract go public. These are not state employees so it's not public information.

With that said, I was happy to see Paniro at the Golf outing. Yes, he screwed up... but I feel this is a mistake that he can overcome. I hope the NCAA decides to allow him to compete in the future. I also hope he sticks with our coaches/program and ends up winning a couple of titles for the Cyclones, gets a degree and has a great life beyond ISU. The coaches obviously agree with this since he's still making appearances.

G-imJustafan

Sep 9, 2022

Kysen Terukina
125MRS Jr.0-0
Drew Woodley141MRS Jr.0-0
Anthony Echemendia149MRS So.0-0
Paniro Johnson149MSo.0-0
Andrew Huddleston157MRS Jr.0-0
Caden Schmidt165MJr.0-0
Ben Monroe165MRS Jr.0-0
MJ Gaitan174MRS Fr.0-0
Colby Runner184MFr.0-0

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

Kysen Terukina
125MRS Jr.0-0
Drew Woodley141MRS Jr.0-0
Anthony Echemendia149MRS So.0-0
Paniro Johnson149MSo.0-0
Andrew Huddleston157MRS Jr.0-0
Caden Schmidt165MJr.0-0
Ben Monroe165MRS Jr.0-0
MJ Gaitan174MRS Fr.0-0
Colby Runner184MFr.0-0
What does this actually mean?

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
it’s not a huge concern, but also not ideal.

I’d take it to mean some of these guys are a bit over the weight that they want to wrestle at, so have some work to do to get down and be hydrated. It’s early, so not real a big problem.