2023-2024 Recruits & Transfers

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Patience grasshopper

Could someone post a best guess ranking of how this logjam at 149 would likely go if everypossible candidate were to stay there? I understand someone will likely move but I'm just curious as to how they match-up.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Could someone post a best guess ranking of how this logjam at 149 would likely go if everypossible candidate were to stay there? I understand someone will likely move but I'm just curious as to how they match-up.
This might be better for the “lineup” speculation thread, but if I had to guess, I’d say:

1. Paniro - he already has a full season at 149 and beat some of the best in the country during that season
2. AE - Tiger says he’s looking real tough in the room
3. Casey - too many unknowns for me. haven’t seen him at the weight, he struggled mightily with mat wrestling last year at 141. He was dinged up a good portion of last season. Now…holding more weight is probably to his benefit.
4. Chittum - only rank him here because I don’t see him at this weight. If he were to go at 149, shoot…he could vault to the top spot here. He’s real good and bullishly strong

From what I’m seeing from others, I’m sure there are a few who won’t agree with this, and that’s fine.

Reactions: CyGold and cyputz

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I think they some how spread out over 149-165 with a redshirt used at times. I could see someone try to make 141, but not even sure that is possible and if it would happen, it would probably be this year before Carr is gone. AE has 2 years left, so this year and next??? Is this right?

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Here is how I’d shake out the 49 situation.

2024 - Casey starts. Paniro redshirts. AE don’t really care. Decent backup.
2025 - Paniro starts. Casey starts at 57. Or if Chittum is not ready for 65, Casey redshirts.

It’s really not that complicated unless you overrate AE.

G-imJustafan

Sep 9, 2022
just my 2 cents - once your a starter you should no longer be able to take a red shirt

athletic accolades are great. but lets not forget why they are going to school

get a degree

the extra yrs are out of hand

Tigerguy_

Sep 26, 2020
just my 2 cents - once your a starter you should no longer be able to take a red shirt

get a degree

I'll make sure to tell Feldkamp your thoughts on the subject as he is a guy going into his 7th year and already has used the system to obtain 2 degrees and is working towards his 3rd this year at ISU. But you do you.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa

get a degree

Well that's a take for a Friday...and one that I think 99% would disagree with.
That's almost like telling a regular student well you started school now you only got 4 years to finish.

ST8TAILG8R

Jul 10, 2017

get a degree

This is actually worth 1 cent, maybe. You have your entire to get a degree. We all know we don't have our whole lives to wrestle. Olympic redshirts are also a thing and gold medals are #1 goal of any elite wrestler.

Last edited:

bradc1969

Aug 24, 2020

get a degree

If you have ever been a high level athlete and experienced what its like to compete at this level you would want as many years as you can take. These athletes are going to college to participate in a sport they love- getting a degree is just part of the process in order to compete. Many of our high school wrestlers go to trade schools if they are not able to compete at the next level.

Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa

get a degree

You’re entitled to your own dumb opinions but this one takes the cake. So many things come into play. I actually like the idea of everyone getting 5 years with 4 years to wrestle in the post season, no matter what happened during the regular season. You get 4 post-season championship runs in 5 years and you’re done. Covid messed things up but 6th years used to be extremely rare.

Reactions: bradc1969

azchief32

Dec 10, 2016
I'll make sure to tell Feldkamp your thoughts on the subject as he is a guy going into his 7th year and already has used the system to obtain 2 degrees and is working towards his 3rd this year at ISU. But you do you.

Plus they are getting paid. One used to be able to make a "get on with your life" argument for 6 year guys but now they have a chance to pay off student loans and/or give themselves a decent downpayment on a house. For those AA and above, the education is now the bonus. Truly elite wrestlers can walk out of college after five years close to being a millionaire. Not bad for a non-revenue sport.

G-imJustafan

Sep 9, 2022
Well that's a take for a Friday...and one that I think 99% would disagree with.
That's almost like telling a regular student well you started school now you only got 4 years to finish.
it's actually nothing like that if your a fully matriculating student and you need more time to finish your course's , you are in school to get your education and earn your degree
- as far as Feldkamp going into his 7th year and already has used the system to obtain 2 degrees and is working towards his 3rd this year at ISU.
outstanding but he is certainly in the minority
- for a vast majority its 6 yrs for a 4 yr degree in underwater basket weaving.

my original post was not to single out anyone particular athlete.

merely that once you have earned a starting spot regardless of sport -

the red shirt should no longer be a option.

These athletes are going to college to participate in a sport they love- getting a degree is just part of the process in order to compete. Many of our high school wrestlers go to trade schools if they are not able to compete at the next level.

part of the process - i won't touch that - going to school Soley to compete no real plan or desire other than chosen sport.

as far as trade schools - more kids belong in them, my electrician made over 300k last year

Covid messed things up but 6th years used to be extremely rare.

yes indeed covid did, they had almost a full season and a national championship, but that year didn't count.
absurd

Mead For My Horses

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
I think they some how spread out over 149-165 with a redshirt used at times. I could see someone try to make 141, but not even sure that is possible and if it would happen, it would probably be this year before Carr is gone. AE has 2 years left, so this year and next??? Is this right?
I think a lot of us forget about Rojas, who is now at 65 and I think intends to compete there unless something happens to Gaitan. He was a top recruit a year ago and gets slept on because he redshirted. I think he has every intention of holding down the 65 spot once David is gone.

Mead For My Horses

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
Originally posted in 24-25 thread.

Strong class for Dresser & Co.

Bartelt, Naaktgeboren, Herrera & Acklin all won state titles. Plus Meza, whose team I think I read in this thread doesn't wrestle in the AZ state tournament. Enjoy this March, but the pipeline is full too!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron