2023-2024 Recruits & Transfers

4theheckofit

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2013
Is Magayna transferring to East to prove he can wrestle in 3A? Seems like a lot of 1A talent gets overlooked, no matter how many state titles they've won

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Um. Yeah. UNI thought it was a done deal, he'd told Schwab that he was coming.

He also transferred from Columbus to Waterloo East a couple weeks ago. There's something going on there.

There is. His dad is a lunatic. The further the kid gets away from him, the better. Hope he doesn’t move to Fargo.

Not a big loss. We need to be aiming higher.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Creating a new thread based on this year’s cycle. The other thread has kind of gotten off the rails.

2024 HS Commitments:
125 Giomo (IA)
133 Meza (AZ)
149/157 Naaktgeboren (IA)
197 Barlelt (FL)
285 Herrera (CA)

HS Interest:
125/133 Lilledahl (MO)
165 Angelo Ferrari (OK)

Top IA guys I hope we reach out to:
125 Christensen (Waukee)
141/149 Lucas Bruhl (Ankeny Centennial)

Potential Transfers (based on need):
157/165 - Messenbrink (Cal Baptist - 4 yrs)
174 - Shane Griffith (Stanford - 1 yr)
184 - Bernie Traux (Cal Poly - 1 yr)
285 - Andrew Davison (Northwestern - 1 yr)
Yaraslau Slavikouski (Harvard - 1 yr)
Seth Nevills (PSU - 1 yr)
Boone McDermott (Rutgers - 1 yr)

Others top transfer (but don’t meet a need):
125 - Caleb Smith (App St - 2 yrs)
133 - Chris Cannon (Northwestern- 2 yrs)
165 - Izzak Olejnik (NIU - 1 yr)

Portal Unknown:
197 - Jakob Woodley (OK)

Please add any names I missed and/or details you have on the above guys. There’s not too many impact transfers and I have only heard us being on Traux & McDermott list. With most of the top teams having their heavyweight I would expect us to be able to land a heavy with Davison being the jewel.
Realistically from this list, I think we get Christensen and Bruhl. I would love to get Ferrari, but that might be a bit of a longshot (especially if his brothers end up at Iowa). Really wanted Davino. Our 2024 class is already good with Herrera, Meza, and Bartelt. Getting Ferrari would make it a great class to pair with 2022.

From the transfers, I want to land one of Griffith or Truax and then Davison at Hwt (with McDermott as the 2nd option). Caleb Smith also wouldn't be a bad option at 125

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
From a transfer standpoint I don't really see Caleb Smith as an upgrade at 125. I can't imagine that they will give him a bunch of NIL $ when we have Kysen and Perryman. I understand that Kysen hasn't delivered yet but neither has Smith and Kysen has shown some significant upside. Perryman also shows some swagger and I'm excited to see if he can jump levels and take the spot next year.

Sign me up for Griffith, Truax (my first choice) or Davison as impact transfers.

cywr89

May 14, 2009
I personally want in order Davison - Griffith - Truax
Hands down Davison and Truax are 1a & 1b. I expect MJ to be a contender for AA next year so not a major upgrade with Griffith. Totally agree we are set with the 3 125-poonders as Cabanban is planning to return. Whoever gets the spot should be a solid AA candidate.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Hands down Davison and Truax are 1a & 1b. I expect MJ to be a contender for AA next year so not a major upgrade with Griffith. Totally agree we are set with the 3 125-poonders as Cabanban is planning to return. Whoever gets the spot should be a solid AA candidate.
I agree. Gaitan is going to be good. But Griffith is a very seasoned veteran and proven commodity. And with it being David’s senior year, you shoot that shot if you can.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet and BigD

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Further, you have AA caliber guys at 25, 33, 41 (depending what he does), 49, 97 but none other than Yonger that has actually done it before. It’s a brutal sport and nothing is guaranteed. Getting a guy that’s been there is huge, let alone a guy that’s been at the top before. I think you make every push you possibly can for Griffith.

• Agree
Reactions: Boxer007

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Do we need a separate thread for just random wrestling news and events? Stuff for non-ISU?

Just asking because Rosselli is out at Oklahoma. Maybe this means no more standing guillotine chokes?

Reactions: cyputz and buf87