***2023-24 College Football Thread***

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
What? Link? Who here actually thinks this is the end? The guys who host a pod in here, one of whom runs the NIL collective for Iowa State, says the current state of things will only last a few years at most.
Dude check any thread talking about cfb and you have plenty of people saying they won’t watch anymore due to NIL or transfer or that that cfb is down. Legit just look on this page about 8 posts before this one and you have people saying college athletics is already gone.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Dude check any thread talking about cfb and you have plenty of people saying they won’t watch anymore due to NIL or transfer or that that cfb is down. Legit just look on this page about 8 posts before this one and you have people saying college athletics is already gone.

Okay well they aren’t listening to the people that know that run this board.

• Agree
Reactions: FriendlySpartan

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
It's a story as old as time. People who are afraid of a change, predict the result of said change will be the end of the world. The track record of those folks is pretty terrible.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
It's a story as old as time. People who are afraid of a change, predict the result of said change will be the end of the world. The track record of those folks is pretty terrible.
I just honestly don’t get it, like NIL or transfers gets all this blame and from a fans perspective hasn’t changed anything. Same teams are doing/competing the same way they were before. If anything it’s starting to add parity as teams can’t stockpile talent.

I mean ISU was led by transfers for their tourney run a couple seasons ago yet somehow transfers and NIL have ruined everything. It’s wild.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I just honestly don’t get it, like NIL or transfers gets all this blame and from a fans perspective hasn’t changed anything. Same teams are doing/competing the same way they were before. If anything it’s starting to add parity as teams can’t stockpile talent.

I mean ISU was led by transfers for their tourney run a couple seasons ago yet somehow transfers and NIL have ruined everything. It’s wild.

Imo college basketball and football have become more watered down in the name of 'parity'.

I'm sure other factors are a part of it but teams/programs seemingly restarting every year (basketball is easier it seems) isn't great.

Sure it makes things like the NCAA tourney more of a crapshoot but I can't remember the last time I was actually shocked by an upset.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Maybe not on that grand of a scale, but on a smaller business scale those predictions are far more accurate. 20% fail after the first year, gradually increasing to 65% after 10 years. And, that's taking into account compounding. And, let's not ignore the several sports leagues that have failed. We should not be so quick to turn a blind eye to what's going on. I have to agree with the naysayers IF it's taken too far.
I've already stepped back and while the population growth may fill that void, I find it hard to believe others won't do the same. That's not to say the sport will fail. It just may morph into something which may not grow $$$ commensurate with per capita. We'll always crave competition. But, that can be satisfied in numerous other ways, diverting attention away from a 'fixed' sport. So, if the perception is widely enough accepted that no one can compete with the big guys, that'll be the end of the league. Up until that point, it's sleight of hand maintaining the allure of fairness. And, that's exactly what we're seeing.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Beck is my wife's cousin. I don't fault him for spending the money he's earned however he wants but his dad is a business consultant and Carson has always had nice things in life. And this car is notorious for it's quality issues.