2023 Cyclone Volleyball

isulifer08

Jan 5, 2016
Are we just gassed? I feel like we are not as sharp as we normally are. Passes aren't to target, not handling easy balls, attacking looks lethargic...

• Agree
Reactions: kcdc4isu

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Maya seems to be a little reserved in her play, but she does have 7 kills.
Down 24-22 and Baylor takes a TO.

Ms3r4ISU

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
And we’re behind 0-2 games with a 25-22 loss.

Ms3r4ISU

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
11-7 after we overshoot a serve.

Ms3r4ISU

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
17-14. Wish we could stay out of the net.

• Agree
Reactions: cowgirl836

Ms3r4ISU

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I think this one is done today - 23-13.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
since you were there what were the calls the net guy called 5 times. I don't know all the signs given. Thanks
Man, if some of you who know volleyball I have the same question. I see the same calls at our local high school games and I don’t understand it. The Clones lost a number of points due to apparent net violations but I had no idea what for. Seems like the net official would hold up 2 fingers or 4 fingers but that wasn’t the number of hits.

Ms3r4ISU

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
since you were there what were the calls the net guy called 5 times. I don't know all the signs given. Thanks
I don’t know all the signs either, so we try to listen to the announcer and those near us. I wish I had someone to sit next to me and tell me what the calls are. I’m usually watching the ball and not the call. I do “know” that you cannot touch the net, any play, either team.

Ms3r4ISU

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
FYI, we almost always have 2 general admission tickets available if anyone wants them.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Man, if some of you who know volleyball I have the same question. I see the same calls at our local high school games and I don’t understand it. The Clones lost a number of points due to apparent net violations but I had no idea what for. Seems like the net official would hold up 2 fingers or 4 fingers but that wasn’t the number of hits.

The down ref signals who is in the net. Most of the time, it's on a defender who is attempting a block.

Closed fist is shorthand for "10." So if the call is against Gonzalez, for example, the down ref motions toward the net and then holds up a fist (10) and four fingers -- for 14 (her jersey number).

Reactions: stvfarmboy

ISU40

Jan 8, 2012
Ames
I don’t know all the signs either, so we try to listen to the announcer and those near us. I wish I had someone to sit next to me and tell me what the calls are. I’m usually watching the ball and not the call. I do “know” that you cannot touch the net, any play, either team.
So what happens when there is a net violation, the umps put a flat hand towards the net on the side where the infraction happens. Then holds up the number of the player that touched the net. So if it was Maya who is number 5, they would hold up a five. Now to confuse you, if Nayelei who is 14 was in the net, you cannot hold up a ten then 4, so they hold up one hand as a 4 and the other hand as a fist, which means ten.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
So what happens when there is a net violation, the umps put a flat hand towards the net on the side where the infraction happens. Then holds up the number of the player that touched the net. So if it was Maya who is number 5, they would hold up a five. Now to confuse you, if Nayelei who is 14 was in the net, you cannot hold up a ten then 4, so they hold up one hand as a 4 and the other hand as a fist, which means ten.
OK, this is very helpful but sometimes it doesn’t look like a player even jumped into the net. Is it a violation if your foot crosses the imaginary line between the net and the floor? Say while a player is positioning herself.

AlCyJim

Aug 11, 2022
The down ref signals who is in the net. Most of the time, it's on a defender who is attempting a block.

Closed fist is shorthand for "10." So if the call is against Gonzalez, for example, the down ref motions toward the net and then holds up a fist (10) and four fingers -- for 14 (her jersey number).
thanks

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron