NFL: 2023 Fantasy Football

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Season is right around the corner. Who is getting ready?

I’m in a league at my job where instead of drafting a defense, you have 2 defensive players. I’ve never done that, anyone have tips for that?

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Its even more annoying than drafting a D. Stream them all and realize that great defenders don't always score well.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Season is right around the corner. Who is getting ready?

I’m in a league at my job where instead of drafting a defense, you have 2 defensive players. I’ve never done that, anyone have tips for that?
Curious what the point values are for defense stats.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Curious what the point values are for defense stats.

2 pts for solo tackles
1 pt for assisted tackle
4 for sacks
6 for int
4 for forced fumble and recovery
6 for TD
2 for safety
1 for pass defended
3 for blocked kick
2 for TFL
Then some return yards

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
I’m thinking just getting a couple LBers and run with it. I have the 10th pick in a 10 team league. So I should be able to get who I want.

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
Look for middle LBs that rack up lots of tackles. Or if those return yards include punt and kickoff returns, find a defender who is a returner too.

• Agree
Reactions: cmjh10

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Would any of you guys be crazy enough to keep Javonte Williams in a keeper league?

10 team ppr, can keep up to 3 players. I drafted him as a rookie and have been hanging onto him since.

I know I can redraft him in the middle rounds but I'm afraid of I don't get him back he'll go off in the 2nd half of the year and be someone else's keeper for the next 5 or 6 years. Sean Payton has a track record of producing stud rbs for fantasy.

If I keep him ill likely be passing up guys that will be dropped like Saquon, Henry, or Jacobs. Would it be smart to try to win now with one of those guys or still keep Javonte for the long term?

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I'm getting back into the game after a 6 year layoff. What are the best podcasts and or reads these days?

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I'm getting back into the game after a 6 year layoff. What are the best podcasts and or reads these days?
Fantasy Football Today is the best imo.

Beware, there's alot of "content creators" giving out horrible advice also.

Fantasy Football Advice and Fantasy Headliners are really popular also but are horrible imo. If you've played Fantasy for any length of time you'll laugh at some of their content.

Reactions: Cyientist

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Fantasy Flock is really popular also but hes a former Texas grad. He has special skill of talking alot but not really saying much while fitting promos for his "Underdog" leagues every 2 minutes.

I suppose if you are a teenager and just learning hes ok but otherwise hes annoying.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Need to select my keeper, I'm drafting 6th out of 10 in a snake draft so an OK spot. Keeper will cost you the pick of the average round that player is being selected in drafts. My top options are:

Ekeler - 1st round he's been going top 5 in drafts and I'm guessing guys that can't be kept this year that will re-enter the draft that will be worth a 1st will be gone like Justin Jefferson, AJ Brown, and CD Lamb unless someone is crazy and doesn't keep some of the other top 1st rounders. I'd have to go through our draft order and see if anyone would leave any of them exposed because they pick in the 1st few picks.

Pollard - 2nd round. This is the guy I was hoping to keep after end of last year and hoped it only cost me a 3rd or 4th rounder but he's been going top 20 it appears

Garrett Wilson - 2nd round

Hurts - 3rd round - don't think it's worth drafting a QB till somewhere in the 4-7th round.

Mark Andrews - 3rd round... nope

McLaurin - 4/5th round

If I knew I could draft a top end WR at #6 I'd go Pollard or Wilson as my keeper but I'm guessing JJ will be 1st off the board and that guy will expose Kelce who would be a 1st rounder. #2 had JJ last year so his next best keeper is Barkley who is going late 1st round so questionable if he keeps him but who else does he take that is available? CMC, Chase, Kupp, and Hill can be selected as keepers so if I exposed Ekekler he and Kelce are likely the next 2 best on the board.

So after typing this out have kind of worked out that my best option for keeper probably is Ekekler even though I have my concerns with his contract situation and sometimes his durability issues with his workload but probably not getting a bonafide top 10 guy at #6 if I risk it. I see a lot of value in Pollard and Wilson in the 2nd round and if I knew I could land one of the top WR in the 1st round I'd go that route and try to find some value picks for RB in rounds 4-7 and nab my QB somewhere in there too. I took Hurts in the 7th round last year and that worked out pretty well.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
A strategy that is solid is going to fantasy pros, creating an account and then selecting "experts" who rank really well for drafts and in season rankings. Select like the top 5 you find and go from there as far as looking some of them up on twitter. There are also certain guys who are better at position groups based on creative analytics and systems they use. I don't do paywall stuff, but I kind of know who the more logical and successful ones based historical rankings over the years. I feel like I'm a much better drafter because of it, problem is my in season management isn't quite as good. I generally keep a huge portion of my team I draft versus dealing a lot for trades. I do some work on the waivers, but at times I don't act quick enough early on because I wait for my sleepers to emerge. That can be a problem when they still are asleep at the middle of the year and I missed out on several guys haha. I also have issues where I only pay attention to half of my leagues in waivers because 4 leagues is a bit much to keep up with.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Need to select my keeper, I'm drafting 6th out of 10 in a snake draft so an OK spot. Keeper will cost you the pick of the average round that player is being selected in drafts. My top options are:

Ekeler - 1st round he's been going top 5 in drafts and I'm guessing guys that can't be kept this year that will re-enter the draft that will be worth a 1st will be gone like Justin Jefferson, AJ Brown, and CD Lamb unless someone is crazy and doesn't keep some of the other top 1st rounders. I'd have to go through our draft order and see if anyone would leave any of them exposed because they pick in the 1st few picks.

Pollard - 2nd round. This is the guy I was hoping to keep after end of last year and hoped it only cost me a 3rd or 4th rounder but he's been going top 20 it appears

Garrett Wilson - 2nd round

Hurts - 3rd round - don't think it's worth drafting a QB till somewhere in the 4-7th round.

Mark Andrews - 3rd round... nope

McLaurin - 4/5th round

If I knew I could draft a top end WR at #6 I'd go Pollard or Wilson as my keeper but I'm guessing JJ will be 1st off the board and that guy will expose Kelce who would be a 1st rounder. #2 had JJ last year so his next best keeper is Barkley who is going late 1st round so questionable if he keeps him but who else does he take that is available? CMC, Chase, Kupp, and Hill can be selected as keepers so if I exposed Ekekler he and Kelce are likely the next 2 best on the board.

So after typing this out have kind of worked out that my best option for keeper probably is Ekekler even though I have my concerns with his contract situation and sometimes his durability issues with his workload but probably not getting a bonafide top 10 guy at #6 if I risk it. I see a lot of value in Pollard and Wilson in the 2nd round and if I knew I could land one of the top WR in the 1st round I'd go that route and try to find some value picks for RB in rounds 4-7 and nab my QB somewhere in there too. I took Hurts in the 7th round last year and that worked out pretty well.
I think Ekeler is going to struggle this year. He didn't even break 1,000 yards last year on the ground and they have a new OC who likes to push it downfield. Only reason he had so many targets last year is because Herbert was hurt and those WRs were hurt at times too. His workload is going to take a hit I think. There are usually busts in the first round. I'm not calling him a complete bust, but he'll have a hard time hitting last years production.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I think Ekeler is going to struggle this year. He didn't even break 1,000 yards last year on the ground and they have a new OC who likes to push it downfield. Only reason he had so many targets last year is because Herbert was hurt and those WRs were hurt at times too. His workload is going to take a hit I think. There are usually busts in the first round. I'm not calling him a complete bust, but he'll have a hard time hitting last years production.
Yeah, I'm skeptical too but drafting 6th in a 10 team keeper league my thought is by the time I pick there isn't going to be much for 1st round caliber players available to select from so from a value perspective I think keeping Ekeler who will then be the #6 pick of the draft then targeting the best WR available with my 2nd round pick is my best path to getting the best players available with my early round picks. Tony Pollard and Garrett Wilson were 2 guys I was hoping to consider using my keeper pick on and I would have probably used it on Wilson had I had a top 3 pick in the draft with some options to nab one of the top players without having to use a 1st rounder on a keeper. At pick 6 in a keeper league I could be looking at a pool of guys that would be late 1st/early 2nd round guys so Ekeler to me is the safer keeper pick for where I am drafting.

I need to start researching who I want to target, I'd like to go Ekeler then WR WR then see what makes sense for best available WR/RB/TE positions in the 4th round. Last year I drafted my QB in round 7 which was Hurts and that panned out really well but I think he is off the board in the 5th or 6th round at worst this year given how the guys in my league like to target certain QBs. My sleeper target at RB this year kind of like Pollard was for me last year is Rachaad White. He should see a lot of volume and not much for depth behind him on the Bucs roster and he's going somewhere in the 60's overall in drafts.

Reactions: 4theCYcle

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Yeah, I'm skeptical too but drafting 6th in a 10 team keeper league my thought is by the time I pick there isn't going to be much for 1st round caliber players available to select from so from a value perspective I think keeping Ekeler who will then be the #6 pick of the draft then targeting the best WR available with my 2nd round pick is my best path to getting the best players available with my early round picks. Tony Pollard and Garrett Wilson were 2 guys I was hoping to consider using my keeper pick on and I would have probably used it on Wilson had I had a top 3 pick in the draft with some options to nab one of the top players without having to use a 1st rounder on a keeper. At pick 6 in a keeper league I could be looking at a pool of guys that would be late 1st/early 2nd round guys so Ekeler to me is the safer keeper pick for where I am drafting.

I need to start researching who I want to target, I'd like to go Ekeler then WR WR then see what makes sense for best available WR/RB/TE positions in the 4th round. Last year I drafted my QB in round 7 which was Hurts and that panned out really well but I think he is off the board in the 5th or 6th round at worst this year given how the guys in my league like to target certain QBs. My sleeper target at RB this year kind of like Pollard was for me last year is Rachaad White. He should see a lot of volume and not much for depth behind him on the Bucs roster and he's going somewhere in the 60's overall in drafts.
Yeah, I don't do keeper leagues so I'm not in complete understanding of the scenarios. But, don't necessarily just fill positions because you need to. I'd fill best available or load up on rbs and wrs. You can always trade for TE because outside of Kelce, that group kind of stinks or hope to steal someone off of waivers. QB's always depend on league settings and that determines where they'll go. In 1 of my main leagues, we score a TD at 6 points for QBs and also do completion percentage, so that can kind of change projections and affect guys like Fields who was terrible last year and all he did was run. TE I've always tried to hit on those before they blew up. Several years ago I got Ertz before he blew up, then Mandrews before he did. They just aren't holding value this year.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Yeah, I don't do keeper leagues so I'm not in complete understanding of the scenarios. But, don't necessarily just fill positions because you need to. I'd fill best available or load up on rbs and wrs. You can always trade for TE because outside of Kelce, that group kind of stinks or hope to steal someone off of waivers. QB's always depend on league settings and that determines where they'll go. In 1 of my main leagues, we score a TD at 6 points for QBs and also do completion percentage, so that can kind of change projections and affect guys like Fields who was terrible last year and all he did was run. TE I've always tried to hit on those before they blew up. Several years ago I got Ertz before he blew up, then Mandrews before he did. They just aren't holding value this year.

Yeah TE is not high on my list. I had Andrews last year and he burned me bad. With more WR weapons in Baltimore this year along with 2 other TE in Likely and Kolar in the mix I don't think he bounces back either. Hockinson if available in the mid rounds intrigues me some but it all depends on who is still available at other positions. Kittle was a favorite target for Purdy and Waller is now in NY so they are 2 more that if they are there at a certain point and I haven't drafted a TE I'd take at a reasonable spot.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Only reason he had so many targets last year is because Herbert was hurt and those WRs were hurt at times too.
I don't understand this rationale at all. Yeah, Allen and Williams were hurt but the Ekeler deniers acts like he just had an outlier season. He's alwasy been an elite pass catcher, he had 92 receptions back in 2019, 70 in 2021 and was was on pace for over 80 in 202 before he got hurt.

Plus you guys act like Moore never gets the running backs involved in the passing game when Elliott and Pollard were elite pass catching backs in Dallas.

Yeah, his receptions might go down, but his TD upside is still immense in that offense. Allen averages about 6 Tds a year, Williams might get 8, where do you think the other 40 or so will come from, it will be Ekeler and a combination of auxiliary players.