Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Well, this is not turning out like I hoped it would.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
Really struggling since set 1. I think Lily being out is being felt. Against the ropes and have to pull out set 4 since we shine in set 5.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I do wish NCAA would require floor “coverings” like it does for basketball. Seems like an unfair home court advantage to have trees everywhere.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Really struggling since set 1. I think Lily being out is being felt. Against the ropes and have to pull out set 4 since we shine in set 5.
Missed both Wachholz and Stonestreet, although I thought Paula K played well at libero.

We really couldn't get anything going for extended stretches with the OHs after the first set. Brandt was out of sync at times with them and other times the OHs simply couldn't terminate good sets.

It was a another successful season but would really like to see the program get out the extended rut of not getting to the Sweet 16 and becoming more competitive relative to conference titles.

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
KU, Baylor & Texas won so we were the only Big 12 School to lose today.
Just my opinion, but the thing about those teams is, their best players show up and perform in big matches. We have a problem, in that our best players can disappear in big matches.

Is it hard to play without those two players? Sure. But, I feel like we had the athletes to win that match.

My word(s) after the first set would be: ISU- Playing not to lose, Hawaii- House money.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Just so frustrating because we dominated sets 1 and 2 but tossed set to away relatively easily. Morgan Brandt was phenomenal in those sets. I watched it and I kept thinking how do you manage to implode. Hawaii did serve way tougher in end of set 2 that continued. I have not had time to see who is coming in and since my daughter aged out of club. I have zero idea of who is even a good recruit anymore because we don't see them every weekend like we used to. Good nucleus of players coming back though. Only two names via volleytalk

1701441458387.png

Last edited:

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Just so frustrating because we dominated sets 1 and 2 but tossed set to away relatively easily. Morgan Brandt was phenomenal in those sets. I watched it and I kept thinking how do you manage to implode. Hawaii did serve way tougher in end of set 2 that continued. I have not had time to see who is coming in and since my daughter aged out of club. I have zero idea of who is even a good recruit anymore because we don't see them every weekend like we used to. Good nucleus of players coming back though. Only two names via volleytalk

View attachment 120130

Hope McCune will be good to go next fall too.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006

View attachment 120130
The differential between the OH attack %s and MB %s was IMO the primary reason why ISU lost.

Englebrecht and Hopp were at .478 and .353. Gonzalez, Duckworth and Hatch were at .026, .167 and .188 for the OHs. Combination of things IMO contributed to that differential including Brandt not setting to MBs as much as she should have, Brandt being a bit out of sync with the OHs and the OHs not terminating good sets. Also, Gonzalez struggled with too many service errors (4) including match point. And Wachholz being out was a factor.

Based on the current projected roster, it would appear that Pearson may need to be an immediate contributor at MB if Perry doesn't improve offensively there over what she displayed in 2022. Should be good to go at setter, libero, DS and OH especially if Wachholz continues to improve. And I am going to assume that other top programs will attempt to poach Gonzalez this off-season.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyfan1965

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
1) Disappointing end to a successful season but, I had a bad feeling when the draw came out sunday knowing we were down 2 players and wouldn't have much fan support. (terrible draw travel wise)
2) Not having Brooke and Lilly really hurt us, Lilly more so then Brooke. As mentioned Paula did fine as fill-in Lib.
3) Still kinda wrestling with what went wrong, We hit very well in set 1 and early in set 2 then, dropped over a clif hitting wise the rest of the match. The service errors hurt us too.
4) Maybe it's just me but, ISU seems to have trouble making in-match adjustments. It seemed that once the "bows" figured it out yesterday, they were able to hit the same area of the floor over and over again and the clones did nothing to cover the hole.

Cloneman89

Sep 28, 2014
So disappointed at the result. Granted it was Hawaii home crowd but thought girls would fare better! Hopefully this is a bitter pill they use to motivate for 2024!

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
Hope McCune will be good to go next fall too.
She's been an impressive newcomer and haas seen her time on the floor increase of late. Looking forward to seeing more of her in future years. She can be an impact player for us.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
That would be a disaster. NIL money to a VB player?
High profile VB transfers in recent seasons have been primarily grad transfers but the number of high profile undergrad transfers is increasing, in part, due to NIL funding from some top programs.

• Agree
Reactions: cowgirl836