***2023 NCAA Volleyball Tournament Thread***

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
High profile VB transfers in recent seasons have been primarily grad transfers but the number of high profile undergrad transfers is increasing, in part, due to NIL funding from some top programs.

Wisconsin at least, has been doing this pretty heavily I noticed.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
4) Maybe it's just me but, ISU seems to have trouble making in-match adjustments. It seemed that once the "bows" figured it out yesterday, they were able to hit the same area of the floor over and over again and the clones did nothing to cover the hole.
This has been a problem with CJL teams for quite a while now. I don't think we could get a better coach without serious investment in the volleyball program, but it is still a bummer.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Getting rid of CJL would be a big gamble IMO- Especially since Dawn Sullivan who would have been a natural replacement is at Mizzou now. No idea who the up and comers are but if they did come would they stay after success. IMO it would be no-

Last edited:

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
Getting rid of CJL would be a big gamble IMO- Especially since Dawn Sullivan who would be been a natural replacement is at Mizzou now. No idea who the up and comers are but if they did come would they stay after success. IMO it would be no-

I think CJL will be here until she decides to leave…which I’m totally ok with. Would like to see more tourney success, but honestly handicapped by no beach vball/more vball friendly venue. The new practice facility will help.

CJL is Iowa State volleyball…we were KState football before Snyder bad before she got here.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
I think CJL will be here until she decides to leave…which I’m totally ok with. Would like to see more tourney success, but honestly handicapped by no beach vball/more vball friendly venue. The new practice facility will help.

CJL is Iowa State volleyball…we were KState football before Snyder bad before she got here.
She has made the program there is no doubt about that. She has earned the right to stay as long as she wants IMO.

• Agree
Reactions: SMP05 and Ankency

cincy_cy2014

Jan 19, 2023
A big trend I’ve noticed is winning Set 1, not adjusting and losing the match. We struggle with adjusting to their strategy.

I did notice in Set 2, we went on a run with Gonzales swinging RS and Hatch hitting OH. Had success but no adjustment other than that.

We need a solid DS. Paula played better last night than normal but she struggles frequently. Hoping the portal is kind and we pick up a solid DS.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006

Yep, totally agree on CJL's job status. She has earned the right to leave on her terms.

Have posted this before, playing matches in Hilton is now a recruiting obstacle but not a total barrier. I was hoping that the CyTown near term project plans or the Tennis Facility re-purposing would somehow include a 3-4K VB match venue.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Horejsi Family Volleyball Arena holds 2,400 it’s great that they sell out every game according to ESPN announcers but ISU averages more than that so any VB venue built at ISU would need to be 4,000 IMO

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Not bad, not great we are Iowa State.
Hey, farm85 my statement regards the general state of Iowa State volleyball (note it is in the volleyball thread). You can dislike my post but even I am not homer enough to view it otherwise.

Last edited:

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Rough first weekend for the B12 in the NCAAs. Only UT advances to the 2nd weekend.

BYU got swept at home by AZ State in the 2nd Round. KU also lost at home to PSU 3-2. UH took #1 seed Stanford to five sets before losing 15-7 in the final set. TCU upset #6 seed FSU but then lost 3-1 to Arkansas. BU "upset" #7 seed JMU before getting swept by UK.

VB in the new B12 will be similar to FB for ISU. The opportunity will be there to better compete for conference titles but the program needs to take things up a notch to do so.

Reactions: Royalclone

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
WBB starter defections (Donarski, Fritz) had more to do with HC dissatisfaction than NIL IMO.
I don’t believe either really experienced the recruiting process when they came here. Donarski was sold on ISU thanks to Matt Thomas, and Fritz was a legacy. Maybe the coach was part of it but the allure and ego boost from a recruiting process was attractive for them too.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Rough first weekend for the B12 in the NCAAs. Only UT advances to the 2nd weekend.

BYU got swept at home by AZ State in the 2nd Round. KU also lost at home to PSU 3-2. UH took #1 seed Stanford to five sets before losing 15-7 in the final set. TCU upset #6 seed FSU but then lost 3-1 to Arkansas. BU "upset" #7 seed JMU before getting swept by UK.

VB in the new B12 will be similar to FB for ISU. The opportunity will be there to better compete for conference titles but the program needs to take things up a notch to do so.

I happen to be in Orlando now taking our granddaughter to Disney World. Saw a clip on UCF basketball getting ready for the conference season. Made me think Orlando to the Big 12 may be like Vegas to the NFL, where a lot of the crowds are made up of visiting fans. Especially for sports like VB and BB.

hiltonisheaven

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
I don’t believe either really experienced the recruiting process when they came here. Donarski was sold on ISU thanks to Matt Thomas, and Fritz was a legacy. Maybe the coach was part of it but the allure and ego boost from a recruiting process was attractive for them too.
Interested point. Blum has said the FB portal is tough for the players because they have to make a quick decision or the offer moves to the next player. Wonder if the WBB portal was similar to that. I also doubt if the pitch to Fritz was truthful. They probably didn’t say: “Hey, come to ****** Waco and play a backup role in front of fewer fans”…

Last edited:
Reactions: Royalclone

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I happen to be in Orlando now taking our granddaughter to Disney World. Saw a clip on UCF basketball getting ready for the conference season. Made me think Orlando to the Big 12 may be like Vegas to the NFL, where a lot of the crowds are made up of visiting fans. Especially for sports like VB and BB.
Yeah, that is probably going to be the case since the majority of UCF students and alums are FSU and UF fans.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
I was sure LD was on her way to IU and so were my cousins who are in the know with IU WBB. $omething changed her mind to go to NC.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Already had two WBB transfer threads locked, so you decide to spill it over into a VB thread?

JFC, can we NOT.

• Winner
Reactions: Three4Cy