2023 XFL vs 2023 USFL

Which of these spring football leagues do you prefer?

• XFL

Votes: 42 100.0%
  • USFL

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
I don't know about anyone else, but to ME, the XFL is so much better because they DO play in their hometowns. I know that the USFL is attempting to abandon the "Play in Birmingham Only" strategy, but to date, they have not entirely abandoned it. Also, to me, the maturity of the players is superior to those I'm seeing in the USFL (but yes, this could certainly be the weeks prior to now that the XFL has been playing vs the recently restarted USFL. Finally, I certainly like seeing Hakeem Butler and Willie Harvey, JR (and formerly Mike Rose before he was injured) playing well for the St Louis Battlehawks.

Please vote in the poll.

Reactions: AlCyJim

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
I'm not really following either closely but I will see that if I run across a game I usually will watch the XFL longer. Hard for me to get into the USFL games it seems like for some odd reason.

• Agree
Reactions: stateofmind

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
I want to like the USFL but them not playing in hometowns I think is a HUGE mistake, short-term upside of cost savings for a long-term loss of fan adoption. I like the history of the USFL and 70s/80s team names better than I do the XFL team names. The XFL has seem to have more ex-ISU players that I LOVE, in addition to others already mentioned, Landon Akers carved out a nice little role for himself in the XFL, and Kamilo Tongamoa on the same team. It's hard for me to remember ISU players in the USFL, Pettway and a few others? Do players play in both?

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
I want to like the USFL but them not playing in hometowns I think is a HUGE mistake, short-term upside of cost savings for a long-term loss of fan adoption. I like the history of the USFL and 70s/80s team names better than I do the XFL team names. The XFL has seem to have more ex-ISU players that I LOVE, in addition to others already mentioned, Landon Akers carved out a nice little role for himself in the XFL, and Kamilo Tongamoa on the same team. It's hard for me to remember ISU players in the USFL, Pettway and a few others? Do players play in both?
No, players do not play in both. Completely separate leagues with completely separate contracts. Thanks for mentioning other ISU players.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Not interested in either, if I happen to stumble across it I might catch a minute or 2.

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
I typically mostly watch college sports.
However XFL is a better watch than USFL.
I do check NFL only to see ISU alums or players I have met personally.

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Seems like some sort of merger is in order here. I question whether there is a market for minor league spring football like this. But I have no doubt there is not enough interest for two of them.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
XFL has tried some interesting things that I really like and think the NFL should implement.

4th and 15 instead of onside kick is one. I also like how the XFL does their kick offs too.

• Agree
Reactions: Lyon309Cy

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I watched the Battlehawks OT game. Each team gets 3 chances in OT at the 5 yard line. One play to score, then next team gets a shot. Team with most score on three tries wins. Game was over in like five minutes. Thought it was great OT option.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I've said this in previous threads, but the one thing I really like about this iteration of the XFL compared to previous iterations and other spring football options is they work in partnership with the NFL instead of pretending they're a competitor or an alternative. As such, they allow themselves to guinea pig themselves for experimental rules - and a lot of them have been interesting. The other thing is the XFL promotes themselves as a "second chance" league, so it feels like they have a lot more actual talent playing there as compared to the USFL.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
USFL watchers were disappointed in the ratings week 1. The leagues are cannibalizing each other to some degree, but the numbers were only half of what they were last year. Direct comparisons between the leagues are tricky, since the USFL is entirely on broadcast tv only while the XFL is a mix of broadcast, cable, and streaming.

USFL, XFL Ratings Take Hit In Head-to-Head

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
NBA playoffs are smoking hot right now,.... there is pro football being played right now?

Reactions: CloneIce

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006